What is the best/worst gift you have received?

The worst was the Christmas when I was 13 and my aunt 'gave' us tickets to the Lion King. I finally saw it over 10 years later when it came back to Melbourne and I bought tickets myself!

Hard to say the best. Probably either my Tiffany necklace that I got for my 21st and that I haven't taken off since, or my Apple watch which I got for my last birthday.

My worst present was a sterling silver chafing dish that we got for a wedding present. I KNOW it was expensive, and I know the intentions were well-thought out, but really? It would have gone well with my mother's wedding gifts in 1955, but not a very useful gift in 1992!

Follow-up story... we were living in San Francisco when we were married, so the chafing dish was part of the household we were moving from CA to Massachusetts. Some good friends helped us pack for moving, and they got a hoot out of the chafing dish. We all did! Well, guess what they got for a wedding gift several years later? I think it's probably the only time I've ever re-gifted anything, and they were hysterical when they opened it. I guess maybe it was the best gift I ever got, too, given the fun we had with it!

Best gift ever is a container that holds 9 kinds of salt (the friend who gave it to me filled it and said I could come to her for a lifetime of refills):goodvibes

I don't know about the worst, though my ex husband sometimes gave me things he wanted (a backpack comes to mind).

We received a kerosene lamp as a wedding gift from a co-worker. I thought it was kind of an odd gift, but he was a single man. Maybe, he wanted to bring something, but couldn't afford much. That was fine. We really wouldn't have cared, if he hadn't brought anything. Anyway, I opened the gift & DH pulled out the packaging. Imagine our surprise & our coworkers embarrassment, when we discovered there was only a globe in the box. I'm guessing someone took out the base in the store. At least, that's what I hope happened. :p I really felt bad for him. Naturally, he blamed it on his girlfriend who wasn't there. :laughing:

Most of my other not so great gifts have come from MIL for Christmas. She doesn't seem to realize our ages are 30 years apart. She keeps buying me clothes like she wears. :rotfl: I act like I love them at the time, then put them in the never-to-be-worn pile. Occasionally she gets me something I really like, so I'll take the bad with the good.

I'm with those who say their child was their best gift. He was a gift for Valentine's Day. ;) My next best gift was probably the eternity band DH bought me for our 10th anniversary.

Last edited:
Worst? Probably the movie tickets that were for a theater in another state.
Best? Daughter arrived 12 days before my birthday.

Best: my grandparents bought me a horse when I turned 12. Well she was Christmas and birthday and my cousins family needed a companion for their horse. But still I got a horse.

Worst: Avon products two Christmases in a row from my in laws. I'm allergic to Avon and she knows/knew it. I made a big deal about it the second year, basically calling her out in front of everyone. My MIL is very passive aggressive and I was fed up with her stunts. No reason for her to waste her time and money on something that will be donated or trashed.

Worst present..an ugly clock...and the giver destroyed the box by cutting out the SKU...probably for a rebate, lol
Best present..( and I've been lucky/blessed enough to get it twice), a great Big Fat Check!

Worst- bubble wrap from the dollar store.

Best- trip to Australia from my parents

Last edited:
Worst. Toilet paper. It was supposed to be a gag gift for my uncle. My aunt got bathroom stuff and mom got toilet paper for my uncle. It was in incredibly poor taste considering mom didn't like him. But she messed up on the labeling and I got it. Serves her right that her terrible joke went sideways.

The worst gift intended for me was from a $5 gift exchange at school. I got the person I drew something nice and wrapped it up. I ended up with a one dollar bill all wadded up in tinfoil. I always hated class gift exchanges.

Best. A $250 mixer for our wedding.

Last edited:
Best gift ever was from my Dad. He bought me a remote car started in 2003. That was awesome!!

I have so many bad gifts. My brother's wife makes the top 5 - I unwrapped the box and it was a lenox pooh box! Sounds great right? well no. Inside was a pair of Pillsbury dough boy socks and a stars and moon mug. Um I don't wear socks, ever (and if I did cheap novelty socks would not be on my short list) and I don't drink hot beverages. Of any type. Putting it in the pooh box was a lovely touch. Not. There is a reason I still call her my brother's first wife. Although I do think they deserve each other

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter