What is the best way from Orlando Airport to DisneyWorld in a power wheelchair?

HugsForEeyore

DIS Veteran
Hi!
Me and one of my best friends from college are going to Disney in May, and have most details of our trip planned except for this: How to get from the airport to our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge? My friend has a power wheelchair and can't walk at all (she has a form of ataxia). Do Mears buses have wheelchair lifts? Do you have to make a reservation for Mears ahead of time? Or would another transport company be better? We will also need transportation to get back to the airport from the resort at the end of our trip. Anyone been in this situation? What did you do? Any suggestions greatly appreicated! Thanks!

hugsmall3.gif

</IMG>
Coming up - May 2001 - Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Welcome. We haven't taken my dd's power wheelchair to WDW yet, but I did check and I know that Mears does have tranportation that would accomidate it. They suggested making a reservation for pick up. Their regular buses are not accessible and you would wait longer for your bus without a reservation. I know of a family who used Mears for their ds's power wheelcahir a year ago and they were quite pleased.
I expect you will get some more replies to this because I know we have some posters who did bring their power wheelchairs to WDW.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Mears is one of your best bets. We have used them several times now.You should call ahead so they can have the handicapped van at the airport for you. You can also use them to go to US or seaworld if you want to, it was $10 per person last time we used them. For the return trip or any other time you only need to call them 24 hours in advance. If I remember right I think they charge $25 roundtrip from the airport per person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter