• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the best book you've ever read?

*tinker*bell* said:
My top three all time favourites, books I have read over and over again would be:

White Oleander
My Sisters Keeper <it's absolutely horrible how they changed it for the movie, it's not even the same story imo>
The Lovely Bones

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone ever say The Lovely Bones was a favorite book besides me. I loved the book. So emotional.

I was going to say the Ender series. Orson Scott Card has been one of my favorite authors forever. I made my husband read Ender's Game and he had read all of the older series within the week!!

Hooray for Ender fans! I am just finishing the entire series again right now ... with Ender's Shadow being my favorite (but all very good!).

Also a fan of Markus Zusak ... "The Book Thief" and "I Am the Messenger" both very good for that age, and in general.

My Sister's Keeper, is a great recommendation. It's about a teenage girl and her huge struggle. At it's core most teens could relate to the theme of wanting their voices to be heard and wanting control over their lives. Gut wrenching book, but one that makes you think. It definitely stays with you.

This is a tough question since my favorite book probably wouldn't be enjoyed by a 16 year old.

For that age group, I'd have to say:

Hunger Games

As a runner-up, I'd recommend The Book Thief.

"The Stand" is definitely my favorite, it was instantly my favorite when I read it some 30 years ago and still stands (pardon the pun) as my number 1 favorite.

"The Witching Hour" was also one of my favorites.

I'm really surprised I haven't seen anyone list "The Kite Runner" yet, loved this book also.

"Twilight Eyes" was another book that always stuck with me.

For a classic choice I'd say "Crime and Punishment" or "Catch 22".

For more recent choices I'd say "Unbroken" or "Hunger Games".

I despised "She's Come Undone". Really, really, hated it.

Ooh, can I ask why? I know several people who were 'meh' about it, but I've never seen someone dislike is so intensely!

I recommend anything by Douglas Coupland, particularly Gerneration A, All Families Are Psychotic or Girlfriend in a Coma. Not at all childish, but very easy to read.

Ooh, can I ask why? I know several people who were 'meh' about it, but I've never seen someone dislike is so intensely!

I recommend anything by Douglas Coupland, particularly Gerneration A, All Families Are Psychotic or Girlfriend in a Coma. Not at all childish, but very easy to read.

I absoluted hated "She's come Undone"

I absoluted hated "She's come Undone"

I didn't hate it but I never got all the love with this book. It was SO long ago when I read it--geez it had to be 7-8 years ago so I barely remember it. I do remember being very disappointed in the ending.

I didn't hate it but I never got all the love with this book. It was SO long ago when I read it--geez it had to be 7-8 years ago so I barely remember it. I do remember being very disappointed in the ending.

I agree completely. The ending disappoints me every time. I love closing a book with a huge sigh of contentment, and I think I threw SCU across the room the first time I read it!

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

I have to change my list now. That book, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, was wonderful! I have to tie it with The Lovely Bones, both favorites for sure.

Thanks for the reminder - I am going to read it again! :)

The Lovely Bones and The Five People You Meet in Heaven are my two favorite reads. I also really enjoyed these: So many more, just so hard to name only 1! :)

The Great Gatsby
My Sisters Keeper
The Bell Jar
The Fountainhead
The Master and Margarita

Looking forward to all the replies!

I am not now nor have I ever been a 16 year old girl. But I can tell you my favorite books:

Of Mice and Men
Flowers for Algernon
To Kill a Mockingbird
Good Omens

(one of these things is not like the other...:happytv:)

Another vote for The Stand. Awesome book. The Green Mile is also amazing.
Also another vote for Gone with the Wind.
And the Harry Potter series are great and more age appropriate.

Sorry- one more: The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter