What is the Best 4 Year Degree to Have?

happily single

Left foot first!
I've been working towards an Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies. I have also worked as a Paralegal for over 18 years.

Recently I decided that it would be benefical to obtain a Bachelor's Degree. Originally of course my first thought was a Bachelors in Paralegal, but in my area its difficult to find schools that offer a Bachelors.

So, in your opinion, what is the best Bachelors degree to obtain? In 5 years I would like to see myself working in the legal field or the financial/estate planning field.

Thanks in advance

Accounting, then go for CPA.

Finance, with summer internships in IB.

Don't bother with an undergraduate degree in management.

The best 4 year degree to have is one in a profession you are interested in and enjoy. It helps if that is a sought after degree in your area.

What do you mean by best? Most needed by the work place? Highest paying?

Most needed seem to be teachers and nurses, depending on where you are.

A BSN is a lucrative degree. Teaching depends on your state. Most can start with a Bachelor's, but many require that you earn a Master's after X number of years to keep your job.

Law is a good degree... not a clean sweep bachelor's though.

What do you mean by best? Most needed by the work place? Highest paying?

Most needed seem to be teachers and nurses, depending on where you are.

A BSN is a lucrative degree. Teaching depends on your state. Most can start with a Bachelor's, but many require that you earn a Master's after X number of years to keep your job.

Law is a good degree... not a clean sweep bachelor's though.

I mean the degree which is most flexible in the business environment. A nursing degree won;t help you get a job in the banking industry. I would absolutely love to be a nurse, but the sight of blood makes me pass out.

I love the legal field, but don't want to limit myself. I would consider working in financial planning, so I wonder if a legal degree is the way to go or if I should concentrate on more business

If you are interested in the medical field, I would suggest an RN.

I've been working towards an Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies. I have also worked as a Paralegal for over 18 years.

Recently I decided that it would be benefical to obtain a Bachelor's Degree. Originally of course my first thought was a Bachelors in Paralegal, but in my area its difficult to find schools that offer a Bachelors.

So, in your opinion, what is the best Bachelors degree to obtain? In 5 years I would like to see myself working in the legal field or the financial/estate planning field.

Thanks in advance

I certainly wouldn't attempt to get your BA in paralegal studies, as there's really nothing more you could do with a degree in paralegal studies that you're not already doing. I'm also a paralegal and this is why I didn't get my BA in paralegal studies. I've basically already done all I can do as a paralegal, so getting a BA in it, didn't seem like it'd do much. I'm currently getting my BA in sociology, but unless there's something specific that you're wanting to do with it, I'm sure there are much more helpful BA's to get...maybe in business?

Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but at this exact moment, the teaching field, nursing field, and legal field really are miserable. You can ask on these boards and find a lot of teachers are out of work and still looking, nursing is harder to find work in these days, and young lawyers are often out of luck AND stuck with big law school loans.

Accounting is okay, at the moment, I think, but it is a very, very popular major ATM, so I don't know how long that will last.

I think IT is getting a bit crowded, but if you go into things like security or networking, admin work or a specialized field that can't be outsourced, that's a good area.

Engineering majors can usually find jobs. (I have a dear relation who STILL hasn't found work with a degree in engineering, but he hasn't yet woken up, smelled the coffee grounds, and realized he's going to have to either start at a job he's over qualified for and move into the job he's got the degree for or move to another city. . .anywho, I digress.)

All in all, the safest degree is probably engineering. I have a strong suspicion that it won't get overcrowded either, because the math scares a lot of potential majors off.

If you want to be a lawyer, it doesn't matter too much. Most do Poly Sci, but anything works. I know one who majored in British Lit before law school and one who was some kind of Science major.

Paralegal? No clue.

I have a friend who unwisely majored in Liberal Arts but wanted a regular job. She ended up back in school, lol.

I don't know if there really is a best. I suppose it depends a lot on how much money you have and what kind of work you want to do, if you're going to work.

I certainly wouldn't attempt to get your BA in paralegal studies, as there's really nothing more you could do with a degree in paralegal studies that you're not already doing. I'm also a paralegal and this is why I didn't get my BA in paralegal studies. I've basically already done all I can do as a paralegal, so getting a BA in it, didn't seem like it'd do much. I'm currently getting my BA in sociology, but unless there's something specific that you're wanting to do with it, I'm sure there are much more helpful BA's to get...maybe in business?

I totally, 100% agree with you/. The only reason I haven't gotten my degree earlier is because I didn't need it. However,I am searching for a new job and unfortunately although I have soo many years experience the companies will not even interiew you unless you have a BA in Paralegal.

I was thinking of the Paralegal Degree because its what I know. Right now my GPA is a 3.6. I would hate to switch majors and struggle.

I agree with the teaching assessment. I graduated in 2008 and still haven't found a full time teaching assignment. I have done many long term assignments but not a full time tenure track position.

I would discourage anyone to get a teaching degree. Fortunately, my university required a double major (besides teaching). I have had principals tell me that my non teaching bachelors degree has edged me out of other teaching candidates.

FTR, I have one Bachelors in Elementary Education, and another Bachelors degree in Writing Arts. (strong emphasis in Writing and Composition)

I have four teaching certificates which keeps me "busy". My friends/relatives that are history majors can't find any positions and have had to go back to school for more schooling.

I agree there are a lot of out of work teachers, but I think nursing is still a high demand profession...Maybe it depends on where in the country?

Thanks in advance

Kingston, RI is the home of the University of Rhode Island and you've identified your location as N. Kingston. It would seem easy to meet with a university consultant to help you determine the correct academic direction for you and try to choose from the many bachelor offerings on that campus. I'm sure you could find something that would be applicable to your interests and work.

The best 4 year degree to have is one in a profession you are interested in and enjoy. It helps if that is a sought after degree in your area.

I have to agree with this. My DS17 is currently applying to colleges, and wants to major in psychology with a clinical counseling concentration. I can't tell you how many people I know who have told me to discourage him from going that route. These are people in the profession, so I'm sure they have his best interest at heart- but still. He likes what he likes and he's interested in that field. How do you change his mind to something he cares nothing about? :confused3

marcyinPA said:
I have to agree with this. My DS17 is currently applying to colleges, and wants to major in psychology with a clinical counseling concentration. I can't tell you how many people I know who have told me to discourage him from going that route. These are people in the profession, so I'm sure they have his best interest at heart- but still. He likes what he likes and he's interested in that field. How do you change his mind to something he cares nothing about? :confused3

If you know going in and are happy not making much money and are willing to fight and play extreme politics for the few jobs in some fields, I say go for it. If you want a comfortable life with a mortgage and a nice home and good schools etc. You need to find a compromise between what you like and what earns money or be born into or marry money (or at least marry someone who can and will fiscally support you).

I am a nurse and hear a lot of "buzz" about Risk Management in the medical field. I don't know if there is an actual Bachelor's degree in that, but perhaps there is some way to take some sort bachelor's that is medically-oriented (without the blood ;) ) and then combine the two into a Risk Management position at a hospital, insurance company etc. or morph it into Medical Malpractice somehow?????

I don't know....I'm just sort of trying to somehow "use" your paralegal exeprience here.....

Here is a link to Bachelor's degrees:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tagged_degrees

Like a PP said, get a degree in a field you'll enjoy.

If you're looking for something in general- engineering and business (MBA) are going to be the most in demand probably.

How about either a degree in International Business or a general degree in Business with a minor in International Studies (depending on what is offered where you want to go to school)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter