• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the benefit to dummy booking a cruise?

dbal

Mouseketeer
Hi- We are looking to book a cruise probably sometime in 2013. What are the advantages of placing a dummy booking and then changing your reservation once the dates you want open up?

to piggy back on this thread, when I read my terms and conditions (which I did read, all of them), it says any change of date is considered a cancellation, loss of deposit, ECT Can you move your booking to a new date without penalty if booked onboard? :confused:

I think what you are referring to is booking a dummy date while on board the ship. When you book a cruise on board it is a good deal cheaper. You can than go ahead and change that date, assuming there's an opening on the one you want. This practice overall saves you money.

10% discount on the cost of the cruise you eventually take (not counting taxes/port fees), only have to pay 10% deposit (instead of 20%) AND you Castaway Club on board credit.

For me, as a CC Platinum member that's $350 in OBC for a seven day cruise that I wouldn't get if I didn't have a spare dummy date laying around to use when I was ready to select a future cruise! Castawy Club OBCs range from 100-350 depending on your level and length of cruise.

10% discount on the cost of the cruise you eventually take (not counting taxes/port fees), only have to pay 10% deposit (instead of 20%) AND you Castaway Club on board credit.

For me, as a CC Platinum member that's $350 in OBC for a seven day cruise that I wouldn't get if I didn't have a spare dummy date laying around to use when I was ready to select a future cruise! Castawy Club OBCs range from 100-350 depending on your level and length of cruise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but cant you take the Castaway Club OBC and combine that with a Dreams Unlimited OBC by assigning them (or another TA) when you book?

Here is my point of confusion: If you book while NOT on the ship, you cant change your date, but if you booked onboard you can?

Hi- We are looking to book a cruise probably sometime in 2013. What are the advantages of placing a dummy booking and then changing your reservation once the dates you want open up?

As mentioned, unless you book a new cruise while onboard another Disney cruise, there is no reason to book a dummy date. Just wait until the 2013 dates have been released, and then book the cruise you want.

Correct me if I am wrong, but cant you take the Castaway Club OBC and combine that with a Dreams Unlimited OBC by assigning them (or another TA) when you book?

Here is my point of confusion: If you book while NOT on the ship, you cant change your date, but if you booked onboard you can?

1. Yes, a TA OBC can be combined as one is from DCL and the other from your TA. Generally, if you assign a TA when you book the TA may be able to give you a better OBC (or gift) than if you had transferred an existing reservation to them.

2. A reservation you booked other than on the ship CAN be moved before the penalty window (said window has recently changed) and the new cruise will be at current rates. As Nancy mentioned, there is no point (or benefit) in booking a cruise you don't intend to take...especially if you may forget about it and end up loosing your deposit because you missed final payment (that's happened!)!

There is one somewhat rare instance where it makes sense to book a dummy cruise even when you aren't on the ship. When they first open up bookings they've historically had a day or two where bookings could only be made via phone. If you make a booking via phone, you don't get the $25 OBC for booking online. So if you know that you want to book one of those reservations, and you have sufficient status to book via phone on opening day (but perhaps didn't have any onboard bookings at the moment), then you can make a dummy booking the day or two before, for any date in the future that is available to book, and then when you call in to book the new crusie date, just move your dummy booking to the date you really wanted. That will get you an additional $25 OBC you wouldn't get otherwise.

But if you've never cruised before, there isn't a point. Just book the day you want as soon as you think you might want to sail on that particular date.

If we book on board and the onboard credit is better from TA (Dreams Unlimited) you can transfer it, correct?

If you do transfer to them do you lose your Disney onboard?

If we book on board and the onboard credit is better from TA (Dreams Unlimited) you can transfer it, correct?

If you book onboard and intend to use a travel agency - name them at the time you book your cruise. If you transfer your booking later, you might not get as much (if any) onboard credit from the travel agency. You can get OBC from both DCL and the travel agency.

Yes, you can transfer your booking to a TA and not loose the OBC.

If we book a 2012 Alaska as gold members we will get $200 from Disney and $200 form Dreams Unlimited?

You should get $250 for your OBC from DCL. No guarantee how much you will get from DU. As noted, some TAs are reducing the OBC for transfers.

. . . As Nancy mentioned, there is no point (or benefit) in booking a cruise you don't intend to take...especially if you may forget about it and end up loosing your deposit because you missed final payment (that's happened!)!
Ouch!

Note to self: Be sure to calendar final payment dates.

Woody

Ouch!

Note to self: Be sure to calendar final payment dates.

Woody

Yeah, I just had that thought that I have no idea when my dates are .... (I booked a dummy cruise while on board last month). Better get that info before I forget. LOL

One advantage of booking with a travel agency is that they will usually send you reminder e-mails when your final payment is due. I don't know if DCL does that if you book directly with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter