• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the benefit of booking with TA?

penel3

Disney World Addict since 1994
Have never booked a WDW through a TA, what is the benefit vs. doing it myself?

too many WDW trips to mention, 2007 Wonder Concierge, January 2013 Wonder Concierge, March 2014 Walter E. Disney Suite (finally!!!!)

I used a TA once because they had a block of rooms at a price I could not get on my own. I got a good price but I hated someone else having control of my reservation. It was at all stars music. Then the worst was people that came after us that didn't use the TA got their rooms faster. CM said it was because we had to wait for this block of rooms. I like doing myself better.

I use a TA when I'm booking early enough that discounts aren't out yet. I know that when deals are released that my TA will automatically move my reservation and I won't have to worry about keeping an eye on new discounts.

I don't see any benefit to using a TA unless you are very new to the Disney planning and have no idea what to do. But you can get the same discounts a TA can get and be in control of your own reservation.

I've never had a good experience with a TA. I still do all the work and then have to correct their mistakes. And since the TA books it for you, you can't call Disney to make changes but you have to call the TA. Of course, I have not used all travel agents and I have not used the ones recommended by some Dis sites so they might be better. I am also a planner and I like to have control over my plans so someone else who is not like me might prefer a TA.

I've never used a TA for the simple reason that I like to have too much control over our trip. Now, if I knew nothing about Disney, I might do it.... if we ever do a Disney cruise, I might use a TA since I know nothing about a cruise...

but one of our friends used a TA for Disney and she had to stay on top of them constantly, remind them to make dining ADR's, remind them that they didn't ask for the restaurants where the TA made the ADRs and then there was a final payment issue that never went through... it was a catastrophe. So from this experience, I wouldn't do it.... too much trust involved and for me, I'm going to care about making our plans for our family much more than someone else would. :confused3

sydneysmom said:
I've never used a TA for the simple reason that I like to have too much control over our trip. Now, if I knew nothing about Disney, I might do it.... if we ever do a Disney cruise, I might use a TA since I know nothing about a cruise...

but one of our friends used a TA for Disney and she had to stay on top of them constantly, remind them to make dining ADR's, remind them that they didn't ask for the restaurants where the TA made the ADRs and then there was a final payment issue that never went through... it was a catastrophe. So from this experience, I wouldn't do it.... too much trust involved and for me, I'm going to care about making our plans for our family much more than someone else would. :confused3

We just booked another cruise and I used a TA for the on board credit...I didnt know if there were any additional perks like that for using a TA , if not then I too, agree that I would rather have control over everything.

I have been to WDW many times and I use a TA. When a discount comes out I don't have to worry about making sure I get the discount or see if my already booked trip qualifies. My TA does all of that for me. Since she knows me so well, she will call or email me the new total.

As to ADRs, I like making my own. No problem even with a TA. She just gives me my reservation number and I book online. One time I wanted an early ADR at CRT and I was going to be on an airplane at the time the when I could book. She booked this for me. Even got the exact time I wanted.

One year I received a pin code in the mail which would have given us 40% off our already booked package. Sent my TA an email. Just so happens she was on vacation in the Bahamas when she received my email. She took time out of her trip to make sure I was able to use the pin code.

My TA always sends little "goodies" with my documents. We have gotten one of those wallet type pouches that you wear around your neck, hand sanitizer, autograph books and pens, drawstring bags, stuffed Mickey, color sheets and crayons and Disney gift cards.

Yes, I have to go through my TA if I want something changed on my reservation, but since my TA is so efficient, I don't have to worry.

We just booked another cruise and I used a TA for the on board credit...I didnt know if there were any additional perks like that for using a TA , if not then I too, agree that I would rather have control over everything.

Some TAs will give you an on board credit, but will also send a gift to your stateroom.

We originally booked our May trip this year with a TA. We were going to stay at POR, but after several months I decided to rent DVC points instead. Now we're staying at AKV Kidani plus one night at GF using the Spring discount. I was worried the rooms at POR would be too cramped for the 5 of us, and I wasn't seeing any benefit while using the TA. It was kind of a pain.

Never used a TA in 47 trips to WDW,..... Too easy to do yourself and be in charge of your reservation...

As for the TA watching for discounts.... You only hope they are and if your watching to see if the TA is on top of that, you might have been better off booking yourself...

I can get the same outcome, and even better doing the homework myself...

I've check a few times our trip thru Dreams Unlimited, got the same price myself and once even better... So why use a TA and play email tag!

I used a TA for our first trip (despite having already done all the research myself) as I thought it would be nice for her to get the commission. We booked when free dining was released so I didn't have to worry about missing out on any deals. We also got QS so no ADRs.

Unfortunately, our TA forgot to give us our ME luggage tags (we didn't realize we could still participate without them) as well as all the other little goodies in the package we were entitled to (coupons, free points to use at on-site arcade, etc.)

Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but I realized that I would just prefer to handle things on my own for any future trips. Now that I know about it, missing out on "Mickey Mail" is simply no longer an option, lol!!

We use a TA for our trip to DL, she was great. Made out ADRs and was always available if we needed anything. We are going to wdw and even though we aren't paying she is willing to help us plan if we want her too.

With work, I am often too busy to find the time to call WDW or hassle with their glitchy web site so I will phone or email my TA and have her do the leg work. If you know what you want, might as well have someone else take care of the logistics. Our TA runs her own business and has a 24 hour policy, as in call anytime. If our flight gets delayed or we miss our connection, we can call her no matter what hour and she is on it. Also, some Disney TAs have a little clout with Disney so they may hook you up if they can!

Thanks everyone! I think I will continue to plan on my own....

too many WDW trips to mention, 2007 Wonder Concierge, January 2013 Wonder Concierge, March 2014 Walter E. Disney Suite (finally!!!!)

We started with a TA for our first cruise and loved her so much we kept using her even for park trips which I can just as easily do by myself. But I'm happy to give her the commission and she sends small gifts every time that gets us all excited about our trip.
Also - I referred some business to her and she upgraded our room from the All Stars to BLT.
Definitely worth it to have a good relationship with an excellent agent!

I used to book on my own, but this last trip I used a TA and had a personal conceirge service. It was great!

We could have as little or as much control as we wanted. I liked that the TA would keep up on discounts and I didn't have to. I think the Disney booking site is a pain in the you know what ... so I told the TA which options I wanted to compare and they took care of it.

I live in the central time zone and didn't want to get up before dawn to ensure I had lunch at Cinderella's Castle on my daughter's birthday ... so I had the TA do that for me :cool1:

The personal conceirge service added a whole lot more to the trip as well, but that is another discussion.

nkereina said:
With work, I am often too busy to find the time to call WDW or hassle with their glitchy web site so I will phone or email my TA and have her do the leg work. If you know what you want, might as well have someone else take care of the logistics. Our TA runs her own business and has a 24 hour policy, as in call anytime. If our flight gets delayed or we miss our connection, we can call her no matter what hour and she is on it. Also, some Disney TAs have a little clout with Disney so they may hook you up if they can!

My reason exactly.

gjl said:
Yep- I hate being on hold. My TA (Dreams Unlimited) booked my reservation and changed it when I needed to....and all I did was shoot her an email. I was able to book my own ADRs with no issues.

I have always booked my wdw trips myself and I hate the whole being on hold thing....UGH!!!!
Boy! Let me tell you have I gotten spoiled with my upcoming March trip. DD is a CM right now and they have a dedicated reservation line. Well once she made my reservation, I have been able to call that line and make my changes or schedule my ME, etc... I am never on hold...not even 30 seconds. It doesn't even finish the message before someone is on the line! I LOVE it! Boy am I going to miss that when her CP is over...sigh!!! And I have to go back into the generic phone pool, UGH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter