What is the advantage of a split stay?

carl59

Mouseketeer
In reading the posts on this site, I see alot of people do a split stay. What are the advantages of doing it this way? I like the idea of just unpacking and packing one time at a resort, so I can not see what makes split stays better.

In reading the posts on this site, I see alot of people do a split stay. What are the advantages of doing it this way? I like the idea of just unpacking and packing one time at a resort, so I can not see what makes split stays better.

Our family has avoided the split stay because we like unpacking and settling in, but for our upcoming April trip, we have decided to do a split stay.

Mainly, this is because we are so indecisive about resorts, that now we can have a top 2 and stay at both. No need to make a decision! :goodvibes Plus, we stay for 10 nights, so that's a long time at one resort. We are doing 5 at YC and then 5 at Poly. This way it's like 2 vacations in one. ::yes::

If we like it, I'm sure we'll be doing it more in the future.

I don't think it's necessarily better, but it can be fun. :thumbsup2 Normally when we go as a family, with the kids, we wouldn't do a split stay unless we are going to be down there over a week. For example, 4 nights Poly with 4 nights BC would be a great way to see the WORLD from two different locations. However, for me, it's not worth the unpacking and repacking when you have to do it for yourself and your kids if the trip is shorter.

My DH and I had an amazing WDW trip a couple of years ago for our anniversary split between the Poly CL and AKL CL which was heavenly!!! :lovestruc We just had a couple of nights at each place but it's a lot easier to move when you just have your own small suitcase.

No fun for us ..... Once was enough! Got forced into one when the Poly didn't have all the nights we wanted so we split with AKL (our first time there) with first 3 nights at AKL and then moving (letting Disney move us) to the Poly...

First off, we didn't care for the whole AKL African theme and though having a Savannah view, very few animals.... We didn't unpack because we knew we'd be moving ( again not to our liking, we like to unpack and move in) and moving day was awful, after taking our stuff to Bell Services early in the am, they wanted our fridge groceries items in boxes ( where are we going to get boxes in the am?).... Oh we'll., off we go to the Poly to finally get this vacation started properly...

No one told us that our stuff and grocery items and beverages would not make an appearance until after 3 pm....now we're at the Poly, 8am, room not ready and no luggage.....

Long story short, it was one wasted day, we were not going to a park and getting all sweaty and then returning to the Poly with no room or luggage.... We alway take afternoon breaks to enjoy the pool, have some drinks and shower and freshen up.... No go on the split stay... Room ready at 4pm, Disney fault and luggage didn't appear till after 5pm.... Cured us of splits, didn't see a need, wasted day and if I was interested in another resort, I'd check it out on another trip.... No more 2 resorts in one stat !

It allows you to do a deluxe, by staying a few days at a value.

I do split stays; the land/sea package for my first three trips; resort and then the cruise line!

I took a plastic bag and used it as a divider between my land clothes and my sea clothes; only unpacked what I needed for the parks.

Then I pulled the clean clothes out, put the dirty clothes on the bottom of the suitcase and covered them with the plastic bag.

When I got to the cruise line, I just unpacked the sea clothes and then packed away the dirty ones on the last day.

That way you are not packing and unpacking twice.

No fun for us ..... Once was enough! Got forced into one when the Poly didn't have all the nights we wanted so we split with AKL (our first time there) with first 3 nights at AKL and then moving (letting Disney move us) to the Poly...

First off, we didn't care for the whole AKL African theme and though having a Savannah view, very few animals.... We didn't unpack because we knew we'd be moving ( again not to our liking, we like to unpack and move in) and moving day was awful, after taking our stuff to Bell Services early in the am, they wanted our fridge groceries items in boxes ( where are we going to get boxes in the am?).... Oh we'll., off we go to the Poly to finally get this vacation started properly...

No one told us that our stuff and grocery items and beverages would not make an appearance until after 3 pm....now we're at the Poly, 8am, room not ready and no luggage.....

Long story short, it was one wasted day, we were not going to a park and getting all sweaty and then returning to the Poly with no room or luggage.... We alway take afternoon breaks to enjoy the pool, have some drinks and shower and freshen up.... No go on the split stay... Room ready at 4pm, Disney fault and luggage didn't appear till after 5pm.... Cured us of splits, didn't see a need, wasted day and if I was interested in another resort, I'd check it out on another trip.... No more 2 resorts in one stat !

Sorry to hear about your wasted day. But that's how I see it happening on a split stay.

Sorry to hear about your wasted day. But that's how I see it happening on a split stay.

See, we plan on checking out of the YC, handing over our luggage to bell services. Meandering over to Epcot for a few hours, then taking the monorail over to the Poly...

We are doing CL at the Poly, so even if our room is not ready, we can check in and get some snacks in the lounge. We also plan on carrying our bathing suits with us that day in the park, so that we'll be able to go down to the pool at the Poly too until our room is ready (if it's not already when we get there). :thumbsup2

For us, it won't be wasted at all! :goodvibes

I guess it's all in how you plan it.

We love split stays and have done them our last 3 trips. On our last trip, we had bell services pick up our things at THV, headed over to Epcot for some fun and lunch, and then walked to BCV. We knew our room probably wouldn't be ready, but I had packed a bag with our swimsuits. We relaxed at the pool and got a text that our room was ready. DH headed up so our suitcases could be delivered and was down back at the pool quickly. Not a wasted day for us and we got to enjoy the serenity of the THV and SAB at BC on the same trip! This trip we're doing 5 nights at VWL to be close to MK, and then heading to AKV for 4 nights over Thanksgiving when we know we will be spending more time at the resort relaxing! Now I get the whole packing and unpacking thing- there are 6 of us. Since we always have laundry in our room, I always do a load every night and then fold those clothes in the morning and pop them back into the suitcase. So packing again is easy for me. I pack less as well because we can rewear things. I know some people don't like doing laundry on vacation, but even before we purchased DVC, I would do laundry every other day. I just can't stand coming home with all those dirty clothes - we just took a cruise and coming home with mountains of laundry drove me crazy!

For my family the advantage of a split stay was to save money.
I got a great deal on a two bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet creek but am as the trip neared closer I had to book a couple of nights at a WDW owned property just to have a little magic. I am trying to stay at every single WDW hotel and have quite a few crossed off my list. This time I went with a moderate, Port Orleans Riverside. Because there were 5 of us and we are going to be on a budget. So now I can cross that one off my list and I have done almost all the moderates (still need wilderness cabins). It sounds crazy but I am looking forward to staying at POR for two days than I am WBC for 7. I would have loved to cross the Contemporary off my list this time but couldn't aford it. Ahhh, why can't I be rich instead of good lookin'? hee hee

We love split stays because it's like getting two vacations in one! As a PP mentioned, staying in the MK area for one part of our vacation and then staying in the EPCOT area is ideal IMHO. And there's no need to "waste" a day when you switch resorts. Hand your luggage over to bell services in the morning at resort #1, head off to a park for the day, then return to resort #2 in the late afternoon, check in and call for your luggage to be delivered. Always worked for us, no muss and no fuss!

We are doing a 3/6 split in April. DD really wanted to experience a Royal room at POR so we'll do that first and then move over to BC, which we love for the location and pool. It will save us a little money over doing all 9 nights at BC plus we get to experience two resorts. We plan to pack the first few days' worth of clothing in our smaller, carry-on suitcases so we don't have to disturb our checked luggage too much before the move (just a little to get some of our liquids out).

I am a huge fan of split stays and have done them on our last 4 vacations. Usually we split between 2 deluxes. For my trip in 2 weeks, we are splitting between YC and BWI CL.

Most of the time we do a split stay for location/dining purposes. We like to do a TS meal in the evening and if we do a split stay, we try to dine close to the resort for convenience. For our upcoming vacation, since we are not doing dinners out, we are doing a split because we wanted a few days to enjoy StormAlongBay but we prefer the atmosphere at BWI. I am an anti-commando so a lot of my vacation time is spent at a resort.

In my case (yes my ticker shows 3 resorts in 7 nights) it was a combo.

I had plans for 4 nights (booked a year in advance with AAA discount). Then my plans changed and I was doing a whole week with my original POFQ right in the middle.

Since I could not get AAA discounts I had to decide wheter to pay rack rate, wait for fall discounts and maybe get a resort I didn't want (my prefered choice of resorts are popular and no discounts really available for my time), or stay off site.

I first decided to do one night at AoA to see the new resort. (not a fan of oversized over the top decorations but wanted to try it). Plus I wasn't going to a park the first day, I was going to shop offsite and plan on checking in at dinner time, so I didn't really want to pay a Saturday rate when I was just going to be sleeping till I could check in the next day, but would still be onsite to make early park day easy on Sunday.

Then I would need two nights at the end, I had a rack rate at POFQ because that's were my original reservation was and I figured I'd at least stay at the same resort and have a chance to connect my two reservation.

Then fall discounts came out. None for my resorts of choice but ASMu (which I've stayed at once before) had availability and was Half the price. So I decided to go ahead and do another move. (my deposit on POFQ actually paid for my all but $6 of my ASMu stay)

So I saved money and I get to try out a new value. I don't mind moving. I did a split last year (2 resorts, but 3 if you count my one night offsite) and it does not bother me to pack up and move (I'm a good packer and I can do it very easily and quick). In fact it's kinda nice as I plan my vacation days to match up to where I'll actually be.

The first non park shopping day/stay at Value.

Then I have a friend who's going to fly in on my second day. I'll do a park make the move and pick her up at MCO, we'll get her settled then spend the evening at DTD. Then spend the time doing a more leisurly f&w/IOA and no wdw park evening/slow touring of the parks. More time at the resort, bigger room, more atmosphere at a MOD fits that plan.

4 days later, we have a breakfast ADR, I'll drop her at MCO, then come back move to the value and spend the next 2 and half days doing park commando. Which is perfect to have a room where I'll only be sleeping and showering.

Each of the hotels fits the touring style I'll be doing so it's great.

We do split stays for the following reasons:

#1 reason - We want to experience as many Disney Vacation Club Resorts as possible many many times in our lifetime and we want to experience other Disney Resorts.

#2 reason - We often stay at Disney for 10 days or longer. Our next trip will be 14 days long on our DVC points. When you are a DVC member housekeeping only comes twice for a 1 week long stay. Once to do basic trash and towels and the second times to change linens and towels. We usually get a one bedroom villa so we have a washer and dryer in our unit. We take less clothing and we are able to wash our towels daily. Not such a big deal. But, I like the idea of being able to switch to a clean room in the middle of a long trip. I also wipe down our room at each stay with lysol wipes and I bring lysol spray. We also bring our own blankets & pillows. We drive. I have issues with germs.

My two main reasons!

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter