What is going on with resort guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apples and oranges. In '85, all you had was MK and EPCOT. Now, there are four venues, DTD, 15 more hotels, more transportation, more character breakfasts, more employees, more security, more fire protection, more miles of roads that have to be maintained, more topiary to train, more grass to cut, more alligators to monitor (or move)...I could go on all day.

If you get similar city services at home, you're paying for them through income, sales, and property taxes. Because WDW is in a special economic development district, there's nobody living there to pay taxes to pay for those services, unlike most other tourist destinations wedged into a city. That means you have to add all those costs to the daily operating costs at Disney, and you pay your share through admission and resort hotel room rates.

If it isn't worth it to you, don't go. But don't blame it all on "greed."

I know I said I was done on the subject but it seems I am getting alot of potshots coming my way.First of all lets look at the facts.Tickets have gone up 300% since 1985,parking has gone up 700% since 1985.People are saying they have more parks and more hotels to maintain and I agree.However they now have more capacity(hotel and parks )and are making more money from more visitors. I love disney,I think the place is great, heck I have been there probably 20 times and I live 1200 miles away.That being said I see definite greed in alot of there marketing and price increases. I love to go there but quite frankly they are pricing me out of the market.Believe me when I say we always travel during value seasons and do what I can to keep costs down.I have no sense of entitlement I have scrimped and saved for all my trips. However I call things the way I see them and the cost of all things disney have gone up way way faster than the cost of living.They have changed things so they make money where they didn't used to(ie extra to hop and no exp on tickets,weekend charge on rooms) I don't want to see disney go bankrupt but I don't want them to become neman marcus either. If my opinion offends some SORRY it's my opinion!

The simple fact is that, sadly, the situation is endemic of our nation as a whole. We are not generally appreciative of what we have. We always want more. You see it everywhere around you every day, and Disney is, again, sadly, no exception. People are of the mindset, "I paid good money for this trip, I deserve more than I'm getting," which, is, of course, poppycock.

You get what you paid for.

If you HAPPEN to get something as a bonus, well, that's fantastic. But don't expect it. And for the love of all things Disney, don't try and pressure CM's into giving it to you!

Does it hurt to ask? Not a bit.

But I've spoken to CM's who get extremely tired of dealing with people who somehow think they are entitled to free stuff and upgrades, and who get downright mean -- borderline abusive -- when they don't get it.

When I'm at Disney, which is once every year or two, I try really hard to ignore the SFN (Something For Nothing) crowd. That includes people who feel free to cut in line, who push their way to the front of a parade route despite others who've been waiting for an hour or more, who get upset and start heavily sighing or muttering under their breath if you are having an interaction with a CM they believe should be focused on them.

Frankly, I like to think that at the end of the day, their heads are exploding from the tension and dissatisfaction while those who are just enjoyin' their day like me wind up having an awesome time.

It seems like every other thread anymore seems to be - how can I get something for nothing?

How can I sneak into a better pool?
Can I sneak in CL guests?
How can I get a free upgrade?

Whatever happened to you get what you pay for and if magic happens it's just that - "Magic".

Sorry to vent it just seems to be getting over the top lately?

Oh and if you say you shouldn't try to get something for nothing - then you're a"snob"!

Well said and thank you for saying it!

Wanted to show that I am not crazy and just ranting here so i just looked up some prices from 1985 milk 2.26 a gal/now 3.17, postage 22cents/now 44 cents(soon), eggs .80 cents dz/now1.17 a dz, gas 1.20 a gal/ now2.79 gal.I have already shown disney prices so no need to be repeating I don't see any of these things that are up 300% to 700%.I don't condone alot of the things people are doing such as keeping refillable mugs etc.However I can hardly blame people for expecting more from a company that has drastically increased their prices and expect alot more cash for the same services!So is disney really any better than these people ?

I can hardly blame people for expecting more from a company that has drastically increased their prices and expect alot more cash for the same services!So is disney really any better than these people ?

Unfortunately, you're missing the point. Nobody MAKES anyone go to Walt Disney World. Families make the decision to go. They decide what they can afford and factor that in. Is it nice to get something more than you expected, and for free to boot? Of course.

But yes, it IS wrong to "expect more" than you paid for. No matter the price, no matter the increase, when you buy a gallon of milk, you don't "expect" to get 1.2 gallons when you buy it. Why should you "expect" Disney to give you more when you agreed to pay a certain price for a certain service? When you purchase your airline ticket to fly to Orlando, do you "expect" to be bumped up to First Class for free? Of course not. When you order a taxi to take you from the resort to the airport, do you "expect" then to dispatch a limo? Again, of course not.

This all goes back to our society having a sense of entitlement. They want something for nothing. Which is fine when it is "want" but becomes problematic when it morphs into "expect."

This kind of logic would put Disney in the position of having to give everyone who "expects" something more a bonus, if you will. As a result, everyone would book cheaper trips knowing that they can expect, upon request/demand, more. That's no way to run a business!

No I'm not missing the point I see what you are saying.Isn't disney doing the same thing by charging for things that the didn't before? Thus expecting more from the customers!I see it all as being greedy ,someone wanting more or a company overcharging to make more(all greed). Thats my point!

No I'm not missing the point I see what you are saying.Isn't disney doing the same thing by charging for things that the didn't before? Thus expecting more from the customers!I see it all as being greedy ,someone wanting more or a company overcharging to make more(all greed). Thats my point!

The difference is that when you book the trip, you agree to pay a certain price for a certain product. The question isn't whether or not they are attempting to make money hand-over-fist (which obviously, they are), but rather, why people agree to one thing and then expect more. The whole "is Disney greedy" thing is a completely different argument. LOL

But you are making an assumption that all these price increases are out of greed and not out of neccessity. For the first quarter of this year, the theme park division net operating income was down 12%. Don't get me wrong, my heart isn't bleeding for disney nor does it for anyone who expects MORE than what they pay for. There is nothing wrong with wanting to maximize your dollar, but imho, not at the expense of other people.

It seems like every other thread anymore seems to be - how can I get something for nothing?

How can I sneak into a better pool?
Can I sneak in CL guests?
How can I get a free upgrade?

Whatever happened to you get what you pay for and if magic happens it's just that - "Magic".

Sorry to vent it just seems to be getting over the top lately?

Oh and if you say you shouldn't try to get something for nothing - then you're a"snob"!

That's why I hang out mostly on the TR boards. People are much happier and much more laid back over there!

See inside the quote...

I know I said I was done on the subject but it seems I am getting alot of potshots coming my way. Don't assume every comment made on what you said is a "potshot"

First of all lets look at the facts.Tickets have gone up 300% since 1985, Here's another fact -- there's 300 percent more to do now.

parking has gone up 700% since 1985 Diesel fuel for the trams is up at least 500 percent, as are costs to pave/maintain the parking lots.

People are saying they have more parks and more hotels to maintain and I agree.However they now have more capacity(hotel and parks )and are making more money from more visitors And they have to pay off the capital investment in those facilities.

I love disney,I think the place is great, heck I have been there probably 20 times and I live 1200 miles away So do I, I've been there a few more times than that, and I now live about 970 miles away.

That being said I see definite greed in alot of there marketing and price increases. Higher costs (labor, maintenance, liability insurance, amortizing the Animal Kingdom) require higher prices

I love to go there but quite frankly they are pricing me out of the market.Believe me when I say we always travel during value seasons and do what I can to keep costs down. Aren't we all? That's why this thread was started -- people doing what they can to keep costs down, even if it means brazenly begging for discounts/upgrades... Still, the famous adage, "Only a schmuck pays full price..."

I have no sense of entitlement I have scrimped and saved for all my trips. However I call things the way I see them and the cost of all things disney have gone up way way faster than the cost of living. Very noble of you. But they aren't just keeping up with the cost of living -- they're making massive capital improvements that have to be paid for.

They have changed things so they make money where they didn't used to(ie extra to hop and no exp on tickets,weekend charge on rooms) They're price diffentiation points that people are willing to pay for. Frankly, if people weren't willing to pay for these perks, they'd still be free.

I don't want to see disney go bankrupt but I don't want them to become neman marcus either. Too late -- in many ways, they already ARE the Neiman Marcus of theme parks and resorts...

If my opinion offends some SORRY it's my opinion! Not offended by your opinion, and you shouldn't be offended if we disagree with you.

Disney doesn't price itself according to the cost of living, nor should it - they price themselves according to what the market will bear. If guests keep coming, they will keep trying to find out how much guests are willing to pay. If guests stop coming they will have to come up with a way to get them back or go out of business. (That's why you see so many discounts now - and why they are discounts on rooms at Disney and food at Disney restaurants and not on park tickets. Disney knows what it's doing when it works on getting guests to stay with Disney and eat with Disney - then they won't be as tempted to try out Sea World or Universal.)

If I thought Disney was fleecing me out of greed I'd stop going. They're doing business in the market. Universal charges about the same for admission and parking and they've got two parks instead of four.

This reminds me of several recent threads. One in particular where a lady was asking if she should request an upgrade to a balcony room because should could not afford to pay for it on her salary. To paraphrase, I responded that when I want a better level room I only upgrade to that level if I can afford to pay the rate. I never ask for or expect an upgrade. If "pixie dust" came my way I would welcome it but never expect or ask for it. She responded saying that the difference is I can afford to upgrade but she cannot. Therefore, that is the difference in the need or desire for her upgrade. Believe me, I cannot afford any room I want nor do I pay for any room I want (I am not frivolous). If someone else pays for a better room I don't expect to be upgraded to the same level. I would never walk into CL unless I paid for that level room or was given a courtesy upgrade. No way! Why would anyone want a vacation based on those conditions. Too stressful. Makes no sense whatsoever. JMO

Do you ever fly commercial airlines? If so, there are pepl on the flight that paid a ton less than you did for your seat as well as some who paid a bunch more for it. Getting a free upgrade at hotels is commonplace in the industry. These boards are the only place where people think it is wrong. To me it is no different than requesting a specific room. You pay for a certain room in a certain category and that's all your money entitles you to. But people on these boards spend all kinds of time and energy trying to get that exact perfect room location. So why is than any different? I'll say the same thing that said on the thread that this poster mentioned: I have requested and been upgraded for free numerous times at WDW. I have also not been upgraded as many times. The key is I am happy with what I book, but if there is something better available why not go for it? As far as pool hooping and such, that is against the rules and it should get you kicked off property. The difference is there is no rule against getting an upgrade.

Getting a free upgrade at hotels is commonplace in the industry. These boards are the only place where people think it is wrong. To me it is no different than requesting a specific room. You pay for a certain room in a certain category and that's all your money entitles you to. But people on these boards spend all kinds of time and energy trying to get that exact perfect room location. So why is that any different?

Well said, and has anyone noticed that many of the people objecting to guests requesting upgrades, etc, have an unusually large number of posts, so I wonder . . . . . could they possibly be working for Disney?!

Well said, and has anyone noticed that many of the people objecting to guests requesting upgrades, etc, have an unusually large number of posts, so I wonder . . . . . could they possibly be working for Disney?!

Nah, we just don't have a life. ;)

That is ridiculously paranoid / consipracy minded. Some people just are happy with what they get and get annoyed by the general public's sense of entitlement over everything. That's where I fall. I pay for what I want, I'm happy with what I get, and I don't ask for free things because it makes me uncomfortable - it's not in my nature.

Sorry larryz your facts are scewed,Disney chose to build more hotels ,why? so the could take a bigger share of the market.Disney chose to build more parks why? so they could get people to stay longer. Disney is doing quite alright for themselves,I barely scratched the surface when I posted prices. By the way sorry diesel fuel is not up 500% since 1985,look it up.I am not offended by your comments more amazed than anything how you can shine over a corporations blatent cost increases! Imagine if gasoline was 700% higher than in 1985.That would be $8.40 a gallon,how about 1.54 cent stamps or eggs for 5.60 a dozen.These raises aren't just for operating costs in my opinion.I like disney but the pixie dust doesn't blind me!

That is ridiculously paranoid / consipracy minded. Some people just are happy with what they get and get annoyed by the general public's sense of entitlement over everything. That's where I fall. I pay for what I want, I'm happy with what I get, and I don't ask for free things because it makes me uncomfortable - it's not in my nature.

Ditto.:cheer2:

I cannot speak for others but I have NO sense of entitlement when it comes to free upgrades. I treat the desk staff the same whether they are able to upgrade me or not. Also, if I do not get an upgrade it is okay and it does not impact my trip at all. My question for those who complain about a sense of entitlement is this: have you ever asked someone to let your child stand in front of them at a parade/ show/fireworks because they could not see? If so, you feel they are entitled to that. If you have done that, you have no right to complain about anyone having a sense of entitlement. BTW vicki, my wife is like you, she is uncomfortable asking for free stuff but she has seen me in action as well as the response that I usually get and she is coming around.:rotfl:

This thread kind of cracks me up, and makes me wonder how often people actually travel someplace OTHER than Disney World... because, for most places, asking for an upgrade is the norm.

Las Vegas, for example. It's totally acceptable to slip the check in attendant $20 and ask if there are any complimentary upgrades available. They'll accommodate you if possible most of the time. This is also a common practice in a lot of tourist areas or large cities. It's not frowned upon, and you will either be accommodated or you won't.

I understand that this is NOT the norm at WDW, so we don't ask. I do agree with those that say book what you want and expect to get it. Also, I think the pool hopping/parking at a resort to get around parking fees and whatnot is ridiculous.

That said, I do find the upgrade anger amusing.

this thread kind of cracks me up, and makes me wonder how often people actually travel someplace other than disney world... Because, for most places, asking for an upgrade is the norm.

Las vegas, for example. It's totally acceptable to slip the check in attendant $20 and ask if there are any complimentary upgrades available. They'll accommodate you if possible most of the time. This is also a common practice in a lot of tourist areas or large cities. It's not frowned upon, and you will either be accommodated or you won't.

I understand that this is not the norm at wdw, so we don't ask. I do agree with those that say book what you want and expect to get it. Also, i think the pool hopping/parking at a resort to get around parking fees and whatnot is ridiculous.

That said, i do find the upgrade anger amusing.

^^^^^this^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter