What is all this discussion about refrigerators?

6loversofdisney

DIS Veteran
I don't understand it all. Can someone please explain? I see so many refrigerator threads on here but I don't "get" what it's all about. Is it a swap people do like one pays and then it stays in the room? Or is it trying to choose rooms that already have refrigerators?

I've only ever bought a throw away styrofoam cooler and used the hotels ice to keep milk cold for my kids so I never really used one but they would be nice to have - just never wanted to pay the $10 a day or whatever it costs.

Thanks for the info - Signed, Confused :scratchin

I don't understand it all. Can someone please explain? I see so many refrigerator threads on here but I don't "get" what it's all about. Is it a swap people do like one pays and then it stays in the room? Or is it trying to choose rooms that already have refrigerators?

I've only ever bought a throw away styrofoam cooler and used the hotels ice to keep milk cold for my kids so I never really used one but they would be nice to have - just never wanted to pay the $10 a day or whatever it costs.

Thanks for the info - Signed, Confused :scratchin

All rooms now have complimentary mini fridges, and have since I think 2012. A certain model of fridge has a malfunction so they are replacing them, leaving tons of rooms without a mini fridge.

People are just discussing which rooms at which resorts have fridges and which don't and what their experience has been with the situation itself.

Thank you once again for helping me out :) I knew there had to be something to it and I was going to look back through all the threads and try to figure it out on my own but thought I could get the answer quicker here :) Thanks again!!!

Maybe this will help -

Our trip - July 24th to August 3rd - All refrigerators were down at POR (and many other Disney resorts). There was a note taped to the door of the fridge explaining the malfunction problems. A Guest could have one only if you needed it for medical reasons.

This was not a big deal at first - we just used a cooler & ice - until the ice machines broke down completely! It became a problem without ice. Every time we went for ice - none!

So - we just drank our water room temperature & got all other drinks at the food court. We felt "cheated" without a fridge. It wasn't the same.

We just returned yesterday (Monday) from the Beach Club and after reading that all the refrigerators were already replaced, we found an old beat up one that was unplugged in our room. I plugged it in and used it throughout our stay. The problem was it had no control over how cold it got so it froze all our drinks. This was a plus because the frozen water lasted much longer traveling around the parks. pirate:

Maybe this will help -

Our trip - July 24th to August 3rd - All refrigerators were down at POR (and many other Disney resorts). There was a note taped to the door of the fridge explaining the malfunction problems. A Guest could have one only if you needed it for medical reasons.

This was not a big deal at first - we just used a cooler & ice - until the ice machines broke down completely! It became a problem without ice. Every time we went for ice - none!

So - we just drank our water room temperature & got all other drinks at the food court. We felt "cheated" without a fridge. It wasn't the same.

That surprises me - the entire resort had zero ice. We were at Pop Century for Hurricane Frances and all resorts had a 24 hour lockdown. We had plenty of ice before, during and after.

That surprises me - the entire resort had zero ice. We were at Pop Century for Hurricane Frances and all resorts had a 24 hour lockdown. We had plenty of ice before, during and after.

Holy cow! A 24 hour "lockdown" at a Disney resort!? That must have been something! Did you lose power?

I am going to be staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort 9/24-10/1. I'm wondering if they will have refrigerators! :eek: I even got a letter saying there may not be a refrigerator!!! So, now I am worried.

Holy cow! A 24 hour "lockdown" at a Disney resort!? That must have been something! Did you lose power?

I am going to be staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort 9/24-10/1. I'm wondering if they will have refrigerators! :eek: I even got a letter saying there may not be a refrigerator!!! So, now I am worried.

Disney did a great job. One of the things they did then, which is why I'm so totally not concerned about having a cooler and ice available is they had plenty of styrofoam coolers in the gift shop. I think maybe one ice machine was empty right before we "shut down" but the other floors were fine. Ice machine out? Use another floor or building. And no, we lost no power at all, still had clean water and Disney tried their best to keep our TV coverage clean of hurricane coverage since that was still being splashed on the regular channels. Disney deals with events like this the best way they can so I'm not concerned and I leave Friday.

I am very happy that you had ice. The ice machines at POR just couldn't keep up with the demand.

Yes, the machines ran out of ice - many times. So many times that we just gave up finding ice. Repairmen couldn't seem to get the machines to give ice fast enough. Water kept coming out.

I do not fib in my posts. Why would I? :confused3

I wouldn't worry about it, Denise. I am staying at CSR 9/23-10/2 & just got the letter.
CSR is done, and they are working on All Stars, Pop, POR, and CBR. I would
bet a Dole Whip that your resort will be finished soon! :)

I am very happy that you had ice. The ice machines at POR just couldn't keep up with the demand.

Yes, the machines ran out of ice - many times. So many times that we just gave up finding ice. Repairmen couldn't seem to get the machines to give ice fast enough. Water kept coming out.

I do not fib in my posts. Why would I? :confused3

I didn't say you lied, I was just surprised a resort ran out of ice when another one did a great job during a hurricane.

Sorry you misunderstood my post. I'm not a person who calls out someone else as a liar for something I never experienced.

We'll be there at Port Orleans next Wed. Any chance you think of us having a working fridge or is that not happening?:scratchin

We'll be there at Port Orleans next Wed. Any chance you think of us having a working fridge or is that not happening?:scratchin

Sounds like you can ask for one and they will bring you one if you don't have one and some people are getting a $15/day discount from the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter