What is a Konk Cooler?

eculmone

Mouseketeer
I think I posted in the wrong area :confused3 Anyhow, heard these drinks are a must. Never been on a cruise and would like to try it. What's in it? What does it taste like? Will it be too strong? I heard there is like 4 shots in this drink? So I should make sure I'm by a hammock before finishing it off? :rotfl2:

I think I posted in the wrong area :confused3 Anyhow, heard these drinks are a must. Never been on a cruise and would like to try it. What's in it? What does it taste like? Will it be too strong? I heard there is like 4 shots in this drink? So I should make sure I'm by a hammock before finishing it off? :rotfl2:

It's a signature drink on Castaway Cay(I've read that some people have gotten them on the ship). It's in the pina colada family(only better), with a wonderful shot of dark rum floating on top. I don't know exactly how many shots are in the drink. It doesn't taste like an overly strong drink(until you try to get up:)). It's an absolute must. Last time I was in CC, they were about $5 or $6. I don't know if they have gone up. Tip: They often do a 2-for-1 special on CC, in the afternoon(I think around 2pm).

Not sure how official it is, as I found this recipe on another Disney fan site.
It should give you an idea, though.

They are tasty and we've enjoyed a few while relaxing on Serenity Bay. :)

Recipe
Konk Cooler
Castaway Cay
Disney Cruise Line

Ingredients
3 oz. Light Rum (Suggestion - Malibu or Parrot Bay)
3 oz. Dark Rum (Suggestion - Cruzan Black Strap)
4 oz. Orange Juice
8 oz. Cream of Coconut (Suggestion - Coco Casa)
6 oz. Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate (Suggestion - Welches)
3 oz. Ice

Mix in blender until slushy.

Makes enough to fill a Disney Cruise Line drink glass... and then some!

I make mine as follows:

2oz dark rum
2oz white rum
4 oz orange juice
6 oz passion fruit juice
8oz piña collada mix
Crush with ice or drink on the rocks.

I like mine on the rocks but the serve it frozen on the ship. This should make 2-3 big glasses of heaven!

The recipe is in the Castaway Club area of the DCL website:

1/2 ounce dark rum
3/4 ounce light rum
1 ounce passion fruit juice
1 ounce pina colada mix
1 ounce orange juice

I don't find them to be overly strong, but I personally found the ones made on Castaway Cay to be stronger than those made aboard the ships...or maybe it was just all that sun catching up with me. Either way, they are fabulous. I always recommend having one at sailaway. If you wait until near the end of your cruise to have one, you'll regret it!

I found mine very strong and disgusting! Mine might have been sitting for a while though because there was nothing frozen about my drink, it was runny and barley cold :(

:worship: Thank you all - I will make sure it is slushy and not mushy :lmao:

We fly out tomorrow morning. I'm so excited to enjoy one and relax. Thank you all :goodvibes

I don't have a recipe, but it was delicious when I consumed it on our most recent cruise & stop at Serenity Bay! Yum!

Could it be had without the rum? I don't drink alcohol, but the fruit juice combo sounds yummy.

Here's a pic of a Konk Cooler I had on my honeymoon

KQYRuFm.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter