What is a grand slam?

Sailing on all four Disney ships.

Grand Slam+ = sailing all all four ships plus the Big Red Boat.

I think it's being tossed about to call sailing on all 6 ships (when the next 2 are done) a six-pack.
Ooohhh ok, sorry, but what is the "big red boat"?

Ooohhh ok, sorry, but what is the "big red boat"?
Before Disney built the Magic, they contracted with another cruise line to have the characters onboard their ship. As a test of whether people would be interested in doing a Disney cruise.

The Big Red Boat was Premiere Cruise lines. From Wikipedia: Premier Cruise Line, a subsidiary of Premier Cruises, was a cruise line that was headquartered in Cape Canaveral, FL. It was at one time licensed as the official cruise line of Walt Disney World and used the trademark "The Big Red Boat" based on the color scheme of some of its ships.
Oceanic01.jpg

Before Disney built the Magic, they contracted with another cruise line to have the characters onboard their ship. As a test of whether people would be interested in doing a Disney cruise.

The Big Red Boat was Premiere Cruise lines. From Wikipedia: Premier Cruise Line, a subsidiary of Premier Cruises, was a cruise line that was headquartered in Cape Canaveral, FL. It was at one time licensed as the official cruise line of Walt Disney World and used the trademark "The Big Red Boat" based on the color scheme of some of its ships.
Oceanic01.jpg
Oh,ok thanks for clearing that up! We are going on the wonder and after that we would like to go on the Fantasy for Christmas! So that would make a grand slam. Thanks for clearing this up, have a good day!!!

Nice! After sailing the Fantasy this June I will have completed the Grand Slam+. I had no idea there was even a name for it. LOL

We have been on all 4 DCL ships and 2 of the Big Red Boats, the Majestic and the Oceanic (twice). See my signature below!

Some info on the Big Red Boats:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Cruise_Line

Premier Cruise Line, a subsidiary of Premier Cruises, was a cruise line that was headquartered in Cape Canaveral, Florida.[1][2] It was at one time licensed as the official cruise line of Walt Disney World and used the trademark "The Big Red Boat" based on the color scheme of some of its ships.[3] Dolphin Cruise Line, a company that became a part of Premier, was headquartered on Dodge Island in Miami.[4]

Premier Cruise Line was formed in 1983 by two cruise veterans and later bought by Dial Corporation (of Dial soap), which owned the Greyhound Bus Company. The ships typically operated three- and four-day Bahamas trips out of Port Canaveral, Florida. The company earned over $20 million annually on a gross revenue of $100 million during the 1980s. The successful niche that Premier served was the family cruise line, especially attractive to grandparents sailing with their children and grandchildren. Also, all food on The Big Red Boats (1995–1997) was fresh, not frozen.

Starting in 1985, Premier partnered with Walt Disney World, providing seven-night land and sea vacations on the Big Red Boat. Premier was licensed to provide Disney characters on its ships, until the relationship ended in 1993.[5]

Premier affiliated itself with the Looney Tunes characters to maintain its family friendly image,[6] and was returned to profitability under the direction of 20-year cruise veteran Jim Naik. The company had an aging fleet of Italian-designed ships competing with newer and larger liners. Mr. Naik brought Premier to profitability in his first quarter with the company. Premier's parent company, Dial, sold the company after posting profits for 1995, 1996, and 1997. New owners and new leadership followed, with Larry Magnum as president in 1998.

The older ships were designed before the current disability acts. Much later, after 1997, Premier was sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act for not making accommodations for people with disabilities. Premier ships included the Majestic (the former Sun Princess of Princess Cruise Lines), the former Home Lines flagship Oceanic, the Atlantic (another former Home Lines ship), and the Royale, a former Costa Cruises liner known then as the Frederico C. The original four ships had the prefix "Star/Ship" before their names. During Premier's reorganization in the mid 1990s all but the Oceanic (Big Red Boat I) were sold off. Premier then became an amalgamation of Dolphin and Seawind Cruises. Later, the Rembrandt, formerly the Rotterdam of Holland America Line, was added to the line.

The SS Oceanic/(Big Red Boat I) was still sailing until 2012 when it was sailed to Yokohama for scrapping.[7] The Big Red Boat II, formerly Eugenio Costa, was put up for sale and was laid up in Freeport, Bahamas. It had no potential buyers and remained there until 2005. It was eventually sold to the breakers and was scrapped in Alang, India in late 2005.[8] The Big Red Boat III, formerly Carnival Cruise Line's Festivale, was also sold for scrap. The former Frederico C (called the Seabreeze I) was to be scrapped at India but instead sank in a storm 220 nautical miles (407 km) off the Virginia coast. Lastly, the Rembrandt, formerly the Rotterdam, was purchased by the city of Rotterdam, The Netherlands, to be restored and kept as a historic landmark.

My wife and I have been on the Big Red Boat and all four ships, before the Magic and Wonder dry dock. But we will be on the Magic next year, hopefully the Wonder shortly after the Magic :sail:

The Premier ships really were beautiful. Lots of old teak wood and classic styling. We were on the Seabreeze on one of her very last cruises. And I can remember being sad when I heard she had sunk. The big red boat was a lot of fun! But, it is absolutely true that they weren't very ADA compliant.

Last edited:
As a baseball lover, a grand slam = 4. All 4 DCL ships = grand slam (to me).

If you want to throw in the Big Red Boat and the two new ships later on, you'll have to call it something else. lol

200.gif
Well, yes.

A Grand Slam (on DCL) is sailing all 4 ships.

Grand Slam + is sailing all 4 ships PLUS the Big Red Boat.

As I noted, I've seen it tossed about "what are we going to call sailing all 6 ships?" And the only response thus far was "a six-pack".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter