What in the world are they thinking / doing?

We were just there two weeks ago, and I have to agree with those that say it was not that bad. We did notice the tarps and I thought it was neat the way they did them to sort of blend in. We commented we had never seen so much refurbishment going on in June before but it did nothing to take away from our enjoyment of Magic Kingdom.

When I heard about this a few hours ago I started thinking...why would they do it in June...one thing that caused me to think is that maybe they're doing it before the 4th of July when crowds will be INSANE. Also the Hall of Presidents opens...I imagine with Obama being in there maybe there may be some press coverage? I have no idea if they'd film other places besides the Hall of Presidents. Only reason why I think this would be because it'd give local TV crews a chance to update their footage of the park. Last time they had video of the swine flu stuff going around it was obvious it was from years ago, but that's really a complete guess and I'm confused as to why they'd wait for the hottest/busiest time of year to do something like this...also the cheap cost wouldn't make sense because the costs couldn't have changed that much since December when it was cooler.

I'm sure it seems much worse by looking at the pics one after the other. But if you are actually there and run across one every once in awhile while touring the park, it's probably not that noticeable. It stinks when anything you like to look at is covered by a (cool) tarp, but like others have said, it's gotta be done.

I don't really get the problem with the bubble machine. I like seeing the bubbles in the morning! I guess even though most things happen by MAGIC in the MK, bubbles aren't one of them. ;) They need a machine sitting on a trashcan. :confused3

I'm going to give this one more shot. The last couple times I've given honest answers to why Disney does something, I've been shouted down. So here goes, why are they doing all the refurb now when it's busy? We are in week 38 of a 53 week fiscal year, if you don't spend your budget, you lose it. Because of the economy and some tough finacial decisions, a lot of work was placed on hold to take a close look at those budgets. So work that would normally be done all through the year is being done now. Not the way we would like to do it, but it still needs to be done.

Just try to think of it as jobs for the people doing the refurb. . . as scarce as jobs have become in my local area, I don't begrudge anyone a job. Not even on my vacation.

It is work that needs to be done, in order to keep the park from getting run down and nasty. Of course, I'd prefer if the refurbs were done before our vacation at the end of August, however, I'm not going to complain if there are still tarps up, and buildings being renovated. That simply means that the Magic Kingdom will look that much better the next time we visit.

I just want to add one thing--painting needs to be done when the temperature is within a certain range, so they need to make sure that the temperature while they are painting and for several hours afterwards (the last time I painted the paint was supposed to take 4 hours to be completely dry) will be in that range. I think the range is usually 60-100°F.

That would mean they couldn't paint in the winter because they would not be able to be sure that every day would be above 60° by 7 am or whenever they start work and stay above 60° for at least four hours after they stopped.

I would guess it's also unlikely they'd paint at the height of summer for the same reason--they need to be sure the temperature won't go over the maximum at any point during the day.

I want to guess what are you thinking???

They have to do refurbs at some point. Buildings and rides do not stay in perfect condition forever (even in Disney World).

Would you prefer that guests see the people working and the mess they make just so you don't have to look at tarps?

Or, would you prefer they completely shut down any park that has any refurb going on so that noone can come in and see the tarps?

Besides, the tarps with the building designs on them are much better to look at than some ugly blue or grey tarp would be.

In the words of Rosevelt Colvin..."Calm Down"

First of all you are rude. Second dont assume you have the superior intellect to interpret my tone behind a forum post. I am not nearly as excited as you are...

I never said Disney should not rehab .I just that it should be in increments as they have in the past. And that I found such multiple rehabs at once a strange departure from what they normally do. But if they have reasons so be it. I am cool with that.

And last of all I did commend them for using a attractive style of coverup . Just mentioned it wouldnt be the same to me " personally" and a disapointment if I was there.

Was that easier for you to understand? :)

If the work needs to be done......I say do it now. Why wait until it looks even worse? I am leaving Saturday for my vacation, and I am pretty certain that the refurbs won't impact my enjoyment one bit! :goodvibes

I just read over the rest of the posts and I agree. I think its has to be budget related somehow . With the economy I am sure the budget is all out of whack and maybe they just are in a position where they have to change how they do things. The expense being less by doing it all at once makes sense as well.

I realize a few of you had points as well that it might not be as noticable as it seems in the pictures. I guess it really depends on how you visit the parks. If you are there with family in tow and going from one attraction to the next then you wouldnt have time to really even take something like that in.

For those of us that like to walk around and take in the sights for memories sake and are more prone to go slow and look around it would be more of a eyesore.

Just depends on how you tour the parks I guess. I do a bit of both being a Florida native a lot of places at Mk hold memories for me so I am one of those people that notices and would miss not seeing the actual facades of the building. But at the same time I also have family in tow and on the days we are concentrating on rides I wouldnt notice much either.

In my defense I want to make it clear I am not complaining about Disney at all. I am glad they refurbing things. I just wanted to make a point of how I thought it was unusual. But given everyones thoughts on the matter I can see a lot of valid points.

We usually go in September and see refurbs every visit. Just was suprised by the amount at this time of year being undertaken at one time. Not complaining because I am not even there. Refurb away and make it pretty for September! :goodvibes

In my defense I want to make it clear I am not complaining about Disney at all. I am glad they refurbing things. I just wanted to make a point of how I thought it was unusual. But given everyones thoughts on the matter I can see a lot of valid points.

No need to clarify, you're right. When a lot of refurb is happening, it doesn't look good, even if we attempt to put up nice tarps. But yes, this has been a very tough last year or so with the economy and budget watching was needed.

We, as Guests, spend lot's of money to take these trips and we expect them to be perfect, nothing wrong with that.

First of all you are rude. Second dont assume you have the superior intellect to interpret my tone behind a forum post. I am not nearly as excited as you are...

I never said Disney should not rehab .I just that it should be in increments as they have in the past. And that I found such multiple rehabs at once a strange departure from what they normally do. But if they have reasons so be it. I am cool with that.

And last of all I did commend them for using a attractive style of coverup . Just mentioned it wouldnt be the same to me " personally" and a disapointment if I was there.

You go girl! You asked a fair question and got an unfair response. Others' attempts to explain why there is a high percentage of rehabs were answered in the spirit of your question. JasonDVC's reply stood out as inconsistent with those.

everyone has their own opinions. I think there gets to be a point at Disney where this isn't so much of a down time anymore. We go every January and it is busy, we have been in March...it is busy, May...busy...there is always something and upfortunately can't please everyone.

Ouch!! Ok Ok, you win.

I like your spunk. :thumbsup2

Some people complain when Disney does this, but they also complain when it isn't done. Disney can't win. But that they know that after the work is done, people will be happy with the results -- except for those who will find something else about which to gripe (some people are just contrarians).

This is similar to the "Not in my back yard!" phenomenon. People want/need services like landfills and cell phone towers -- just put them someplace else! In this case, people want the parks to look spiffy and fresh -- just do it some other time of the year. "Not on my vacation!" they might say.

SSB

I disagree. It's a matter of scale/volume. How much is being done at once. There has always been SOME construction every time I've been to WDW, but have never seen anything like those pictures of what it looks like now. Otherwise, I would not "complain" at all... never have before! No matter what, we'll have a great trip, as we always do. It seems that OP had a fair question, though, right? It IS ok to voice disappointment, though... no? :goodvibes

We, as Guests, spend lot's of money to take these trips and we expect them to be perfect, nothing wrong with that.

And maybe that's their point. We, as guests, are probably going to Disney this year as a result of a great discount :thumbsup2 So it's okay with me if things are a little less than perfect while I'm there.

We first visited Disney World 23 years ago. So much of it looks as beautiful as it did then, and that's what I love about it. I'm willing to accept the tarps for long-lasting beauty.

Now, Epcot Future World - that could use a good tarping and cleaning up!!! :rolleyes1

We just got home last night....

Honestly we were having so much fun, the only thing we noticed was the Hall of Pres. and the small world refurb.
I thought they looked pretty good and never gave it a second thought~
:confused3

Um, I'm jumping in this late - but I'll take the opposite tack of OP's query. The folks who work at WDW do an AMAZING job of keeping the parks going 365 days per year! They do an amzing job of minimizing refurbs. I mean Space Mtn. has been running with minimal refurbs since the seventies!

How many other coasters in teh USA have been running that long vs. how many from that era have been totally dismantled? I don't have specific stats, but I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of the American amusement parks that date to that era have been totally dismantled. The entire park.

I am shocked by the photos of all the rehab work going on right now.
We were there in May and on our next to last day, we noticed the walls had gone up around It's A Small World. We thought it was shut down. We eventually realized it was open but it sure didn't look inviting.
The Hall of Presidents and the Liberty Square area was being refurbed at that time too as well as Space Mountain.
Now that I see all the other rehab facades that have gone up, I have to say, I am glad I am not there now. It may need to be done but one or two at a time, would be a little more pleasing to the eyes of guests.

Um, I'm jumping in this late - but I'll take the opposite tack of OP's query. The folks who work at WDW do an AMAZING job of keeping the parks going 365 days per year! They do an amzing job of minimizing refurbs. I mean Space Mtn. has been running with minimal refurbs since the seventies!

How many other coasters in teh USA have been running that long vs. how many from that era have been totally dismantled? I don't have specific stats, but I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of the American amusement parks that date to that era have been totally dismantled. The entire park.

Your opinion is not opposite of mine. I totally agree. Disney does a great job of keeping the parks going and they all do a amazing job. Thats why I am here on the Disboards because I love Disney just like you.

I just said that it was " unusual " the "amount" of things going on right now. And that personally I would not be happy with the unusual amount of rehab if I was there at the moment. But it wouldnt stop me from going. Not at this point . Is it attractive? No

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter