• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What if my Memory card gets full?

I read somewhere (on here, probably) to buy an extra card but don't open the package. If you don't end up needing it, just return it when you get home.

That's what I did. I had two 2 GIG SD cards for my Kodak. Because I had never really used the camera before, I really didn't know how much many pics it would hold. I had plenty of room so I returned of the SD card when I got home.

we've burned the cds in the photo stores @ the parks when we've forgotten to bring extra cards

assume you could go offsite to drugstore/WM, etc. & get a cd burned a lot cheaper:idea:

I just bring extra flashcards. I have a total of 4GB. That's usually enough for me.

I don't have a laptop, so I was wondering.........If you have access to a computer at the hotel or resort, is it possible to download the pictures from your flashcard onto a flash drive for back-up? I'm asking because I've never used the computers at hotels.

Gary

We've had our photos downloaded to a CD a few times at WDW it was quick.

We've also downloaded them to our computer.

I got a new Digital SLR for Christmas and the memory card holds over 500 photos so I think I might be set for next vacation. I've already taken 1000 pics since January. I take so many since I can delete them etc.

:goodvibes

Do yourself a favour and buy a spare before you go. The first time went, I didn't think of this and my camera announced that my memory card was full in the middle of the safari so I was furiously going and deleting old pics off the memory card. You don't want to be running around the park looking for a place to dl your pics or buy a memory card when you could be enjoying a ride (and you can't stop in the middle fo the safari to dl pics LOL)-so much easier to pop out the old one and pop in the new one.

I just bring extra flashcards. I have a total of 4GB. That's usually enough for me.

I don't have a laptop, so I was wondering.........If you have access to a computer at the hotel or resort, is it possible to download the pictures from your flashcard onto a flash drive for back-up? I'm asking because I've never used the computers at hotels.

Gary

I would also like to know. Can anyone help us with this?

Thanks,

They arent real cheap, but I have one of these
http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T00107&Category_Code=ESP

I have the 120 gig one and I LOVE it. You can also put videos/ music on it and use it as an MP3 player. To do a photo backup, you just put your mem card in it and it will pop up asking if you want to back it up.

The screen is a nice size also. I have a 40d canon, so I have CF cards, that was the biggest problem to find one that does CF cards. Epson also makes one IIRC.

Now, in your case, I'd HIGHLY suggest getting another card. IF for no other reason, you have one in case yours dies or something. You have a backup. IF something bad would happen to one, just goto the backup, and DONT mess with the 'bad' one. Get it home, and get it to a camera store where they probably will be able to get pics off, unless it is internally damaged.

I have 3 or 4 CF's ranging from 2 gig to 8 gigs.

Can anyone tell me-

I have 2 2-gig cards and one 560. But I've just bought the 2-gig ones and not used them. About how many pics fit on one of those? I think I have enough cards, but I also know I am going to be taking pics like a crazy woman.

Can anyone tell me-

I have 2 2-gig cards and one 560. But I've just bought the 2-gig ones and not used them. About how many pics fit on one of those? I think I have enough cards, but I also know I am going to be taking pics like a crazy woman.

A lot of it is going to depend on the setting and mega pixels on your camera. For example, a picture with larger MP will take up more room than a picture taken with a camera with lower MP. A lot of times, there will be a chart on the back of the package. If not, I'm sure you can find a chart online.

I have two gigs that will be going with me, and four 1 gigs. May seem like a lot, but trust me, I didnt name my photography studios The Mommy Paparazzi for nothing. lol

AND my camera is a SLR. LOVE that thing.

Thanks for the info, I think I will pick up a few more memory cards, too. I hate taking my computer through the checkers at the airport!:cool1:

I always take my laptop to WDW with me to download my pics. I also burn them to a DVD before I pack up to go home, just in case my laptop were damaged or lost in transit.

I'm like others, I just buy an extra card. We have a total of 2 gig for our Canon SLR and have never run out. However, with a 15 day stay, I think I'll buy an extra 2 gig just to be on the safe side. I haven't bought a compact flash card for our Canon in quite some time so I'm not sure how much it will cost. However, I just bought a 2 gig SD for my Kodak and it was less than $20.

Lots of folks in this thread have mentioned buying "an" extra card.

Forget buying just one extra big card. Instead, buy several smaller cards. They're often cheaper than the larger cards, and most importantly - you can split your trip photos up more on many smaller cards, and if you lose a card, you lose fewer pics.

I think it's best to have one card for each day of your trip, and put the full ones in your room safe. Then, if your camera gets lost, stolen, or goes for a swim on POTC, you only risk losing one days pics instead of your whole trip.

Does anyone know if they can "load" them on to your Photopass account if you prepay for the photopass cd? It would be great if they could that. I'm sure it would involve an extra "fee".

No, you can't upload your own pics to your PhotoPass account from the parks.

And even if you could, any pics that you upload to your account are not on the CD when you buy it; only the pics taken by the PhotoPass photographers are included on your PhotoPass CD.

Do you have any problems carrying around your SLR? I just got a Canon SLR for my b-day and I'm scared to take it with me - what with sudden rain, jostling crowds, and wild rides... any advice?

I've been taking an SLR to the parks since 1999. I was just as scared on that first trip, but it only took a few days to realize that A) with some basic precautions, the camera is perfectly safe, B) my photos are a hundred times better with my SLR than with any P&S camera I ever owned, and C) buying an SLR then not using it for the most important photo-taking occasion of the year (your WDW vacation) is a tremendous waste of money.

The size of an SLR can present some challenges, however, since you have to carry it around all day, every day, for a week-long triip. But the best advice I can give you is to get a single good walkaround lens, and don't try bringing the whole camera bag with you. Just bring a spare battery, some spare memory cards, a cleaning cloth, and maybe a filter or two. In other words, just pocket-size stuff.

Rain and water rides are easy to defend against - all you need is a camera poncho - also known as a 1-gallon Ziploc bag! Here's how to make one in about 30 seconds:
http://willcad.org/image_cameraponcho.shtml

we've burned the cds in the photo stores @ the parks when we've forgotten to bring extra cards

assume you could go offsite to drugstore/WM, etc. & get a cd burned a lot cheaper:idea:

You are correct - all of the Walgreens stores in the WDW area have 24-hour photo labs that will burn pics to CD for only $4 per disk, for as many pics as the disk will hold.

I always take my laptop to WDW with me to download my pics. I also burn them to a DVD before I pack up to go home, just in case my laptop were damaged or lost in transit.

Lots of folks in this thread have mentioned buying "an" extra card.

Forget buying just one extra big card. Instead, buy several smaller cards. They're often cheaper than the larger cards, and most importantly - you can split your trip photos up more on many smaller cards, and if you lose a card, you lose fewer pics.

I think it's best to have one card for each day of your trip, and put the full ones in your room safe. Then, if your camera gets lost, stolen, or goes for a swim on POTC, you only risk losing one days pics instead of your whole trip.

No, you can't upload your own pics to your PhotoPass account from the parks.

And even if you could, any pics that you upload to your account are not on the CD when you buy it; only the pics taken by the PhotoPass photographers are included on your PhotoPass CD.

I've been taking an SLR to the parks since 1999. I was just as scared on that first trip, but it only took a few days to realize that A) with some basic precautions, the camera is perfectly safe, B) my photos are a hundred times better with my SLR than with any P&S camera I ever owned, and C) buying an SLR then not using it for the most important photo-taking occasion of the year (your WDW vacation) is a tremendous waste of money.

The size of an SLR can present some challenges, however, since you have to carry it around all day, every day, for a week-long triip. But the best advice I can give you is to get a single good walkaround lens, and don't try bringing the whole camera bag with you. Just bring a spare battery, some spare memory cards, a cleaning cloth, and maybe a filter or two. In other words, just pocket-size stuff.

Rain and water rides are easy to defend against - all you need is a camera poncho - also known as a 1-gallon Ziploc bag! Here's how to make one in about 30 seconds:
http://willcad.org/image_cameraponcho.shtml

You are correct - all of the Walgreens stores in the WDW area have 24-hour photo labs that will burn pics to CD for only $4 per disk, for as many pics as the disk will hold.

i have a 1gb and i think ill be picking up a 2 gb just in case i go camera happy

Just back from Disney. I brought my 2gb card and took 400 pics. Still had room to take more.

I saw two 2g cards on sale for 24.00 at walmart. I have one 2g and one 1g and one 256mb and one 128mb. My first trip I just took the 1g, 256 & 128 and had well over 1,000 pics. This year i'm sure i'll get more since I have the 2g's. Oh, and that included video also since my camera is a camera and video recorder. I think you'll be fine with a 2g, but if you feel unsure go get more, they don't cost much now, like I tell you, 24.00 at walmart. Have fun!!!
:banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter