What if My Band Doesn't Work at TS?

I promise I do have a back up plan for the off chance that something might go wrong... well unless you count the cruise... now that I'm gambling on nothing going wrong for.

But that money is ear marked as I said for Emergencies not failure to deliver by Disney. I have to say that I think it would be a little silly to spend part of the 200 bucks to pay for a Disney MB screw up and then something did happen and I didn't have that money to use because I gave it to Disney.

No, I get it. You don't think you should have to pay for other people's mistakes. I agree. You shouldn't have to. But, sometimes things happen. I guess you can decide to worry and be angry about what you can't control or take some steps to insure yourself against being stressed. Again, everyone's tolerance for risk is different but I know which one I'd choose.

I realize you can have a CC without being in debt, the problem is that they wont give me one until I have been in debt and paid on it for a long time because the lack of debt in my history means that I can't prove that I would pay it back if I was in debt. They told me when I applied for the Disney Visa that I couldn't have it because I didn't have credit... not that I had bad credit, but that because of the way I have lived my life I didn't have ANY credit.

DH had what they called "neutral" credit. Same as your "ghost" credit. He got a car loan (at a heinous 25% interest), we paid it off in two years (was a five year loan), and then he could get a cc. He now has really good credit. It's cool when it works like that.

Disney visa said no to him because they require seriously good credit. Not just "really good". :)

You can when you're debit has a Visa log on it.
And you make a down-payment... don't know if you have to do that with an actual CC or not, never having actually done that.

Was going to mention the credit check but I see its not on your credit so that's good. They do usually put a hold on the money though.

Also, why does everyone assume I'm male on the internet?
I get it all the time and I don't understand... esp since folks who know me irl face to face refer to me as things like "girly girl" and "shi shi"

We can't see you. Your user name involves the name Nick. Most states don't legally recognize your marriage. Most unmarried couples don't use husband or wife to describe their relationship. Law of averages says you are male.

Even I wasn't 100% sure if you were who I thought you were as you probably noticed in the universal thread when I made sure you were female. :)

I wish you wouldn't worry so much. I hope your trip is great. I love universal food, at least of the things we eat as vegetarians. Love the veggie burgers at richters. Cheese ravioli at Lombards is DS's fave. Potato leek soup and roasted potato side at 3 broomsticks is scrumptious! The veggie stuff at the poolside restaurant at royal pacific is SO good.

You probably won't have any MB problems and as you know, if you don't have a backup try will find a solution. Before we had savings or CCs we never ran into an emergency that couldn't be worked out in some way other than the nonexistent cc.

It will be ok, I'm 99% sure of it. Hugs.

The story isn't changing, not exactly... more like I put it wrong in the first place. The question probably should have read "What happens if I TELL Disney I have no other way to pay for it?"

I have no problems with waiting, I'll be in fantastic company in a nice weather controlled room, where I can stay seated while they get it worked out. Since Dinner is always as the parks or after the parks are closing no park time lost there, and lunch is our way of taking a break from the parks mid day so an hour or three wont hurt us there either.

But now the story is changing, when you started this thread you said you would have no extra cash with you (or back home) to pay for a dinner if something went wrong. Bottom line is Disney can get to your entitlements. Most of the people who paid for the meal and had Disney refund it hours later did so because they didn't want to spend a ton of time while Disney sorted things out. If you're willing to wait out that process, then I'm sure the restaurant can get in contact with your resort and manually use your entitlements if something went wrong with the MBs, however long that takes.

I live paycheck to paycheck because that is how I CHOOSE to live, not because it is how I HAVE to live. And I asked for thoughts and experiences on a specific park related matter, I didn't ask people to judge the way I choose to live my life. Even if I wasn't going on vacation I wouldn't be saving money just for a rainy day. Yes, that's taking a gamble, and it's mine to take. From where I stand keeping a savings account is a gamble. I may die without ever needing to touch that money and there went a good time I could have had... all because I was worried about paying rent on something that hadn't happened yet.

As to what happens when I get home? By the time I get home I'll have another wad of cash sitting there waiting for me, because we'll have been paid again. Then I wont get to party like I normally do for a couple of weeks, the problem will get taken care of and then another pay check will come in and my life will be a party again.

Then there is also that if my car engine throws a fit, my insurance will cover it and if something happens to my home then my land lord will cover it because I live in an apartment.

Like everyone I have had stuff come up, but guess what? I've always managed to work it out. Without a rainy day account.

There, now do you feel better now that you know all about the finances of a stranger on the internet?

Hmm. Im glad its all working for ya.. In your lifeplan that you CHOOSE to have,you seem to have most things covered. ;) Well, except for one thing... losing your job! Just a small detail I guess, Id be concerned but well, that's just me.

Hope you have a good trip. Personally, I wouldn't be so worried about the bands, possible emergencies would have me more concerned, but hey, flying by the seat of your pants seems to be how you roll... Good luck with that...

Actualy it's Nicky I don't know many guys that would go with Nicky, though I suppose it does happen. (Note my tone is bemused not aggressive since the net tramples things like that.)

To be honest my state doesn't legally recognize my union, but my faith does, we had had a ceremony performed by someone ordained in our faith, and I have been with this woman for almost 15 years. As far as I'm concerned, we've earned the right to call each other wife. But that said I still understand that our society still make certain assumptions. But because she has been part of every choice, vacation, major action etc that I have made for the last 15 years I sometimes forget that I've mentioned her in the course of things, it's as natural as breathing and I sometimes miss it. Which I know must seem odd.

Thank you for the info on Universal for Vegetarians, my wife only eats seafood and prefers not to do that. She didn't even eat seafood until we moved from Phoenix Az to Small Town Ky at which point she found it almost impossible to eat out and avoid seafood (because most of the vegetarian dishes they do have around here rely heavily on cheese which she is allergic to.) so I really do appreciate this information on being vegetarian in Universal. The food is one of the most important parts of any trip we take no mater where we go.

And thank you for your kindness, and your understanding.
I really appreciate it.

We can't see you. Your user name involves the name Nick. Most states don't legally recognize your marriage. Most unmarried couples don't use husband or wife to describe their relationship. Law of averages says you are male.

Even I wasn't 100% sure if you were who I thought you were as you probably noticed in the universal thread when I made sure you were female. :)

I wish you wouldn't worry so much. I hope your trip is great. I love universal food, at least of the things we eat as vegetarians. Love the veggie burgers at richters. Cheese ravioli at Lombards is DS's fave. Potato leek soup and roasted potato side at 3 broomsticks is scrumptious! The veggie stuff at the poolside restaurant at royal pacific is SO good.

You probably won't have any MB problems and as you know, if you don't have a backup try will find a solution. Before we had savings or CCs we never ran into an emergency that couldn't be worked out in some way other than the nonexistent cc.

It will be ok, I'm 99% sure of it. Hugs.

Thank you, I appreciate your open mindedness.
I've lived through the things most folks think about when they think about what can go wrong.

I've lived in a run down trailer, with no water, no electricity, no heat... barely with enough money to eat on. It wasn't fun but I did it... if I had to, I could do it again.

I'm a house wife, we rely on my wife's income... her job is fairly secure unless her company goes under, because no one else can do what she does as well as she does it. (They've told her this frequently as justification for not getting her the help she needs or moving her.) and since her company is huge and national I don't see that happening anytime soon.

But even if it did, we went about 7 months at one point during the worst of the recession, between jobs. I managed to keep 3 grown ups afloat, maintain a mortgage (my mom's), a car payment (My wife had gotten the car before she met me), and utilities for a medium sized home on an unemployment check and disability which my mom was getting because she had just come off a heart attack and couldn't work as a nurse anymore. Somehow I made it work, it was hard, it sucked, but I made it work. I had to juggle bills and creditors like a boss, but I did it.

So I've been through loss of job, at a point when both my mom and my wife lost their jobs at the same time. (We lived with mom then, she lives with us now.) If I had to, I could do it again.

My point being that I appreciate your concern, I actually really do. But I've faced that fear, and come out the other side with the knowledge that should I need to I can do it again until times get good again. And with a lot of faith and ingenuity it always has gotten better.

In the end maybe the biggest thing is just that I have seen too many people do everything they were supposed to do, and because of that, not do so many of the things they wanted to do, and in the end all it got them was a lifetime of regrets for the adventures not taken.

Hmm. Im glad its all working for ya.. In your lifeplan that you CHOOSE to have,you seem to have most things covered. ;) Well, except for one thing... losing your job! Just a small detail I guess, Id be concerned but well, that's just me.

Hope you have a good trip. Personally, I wouldn't be so worried about the bands, possible emergencies would have me more concerned, but hey, flying by the seat of your pants seems to be how you roll... Good luck with that...

We have to save up every penny in order to go on vacation, so by the time we go there is nothing in the bank to pay for things with. If we're using the MB and they fail at a TS, we wont have the funds to pay out of pocket, so what happens?

Hi Nicky :) I read most of this thread. Although, most of it is rather off topic I have to respond. I have a major fear, it takes over a big part of my vacation as well as simple things like taking my kids out for dinner. I have a fear that my debit card won't work & my money will fall out of my purse before we make it to the restaurant. I then will be caught without a means to pay. Our trip to WDW I had the DDP. I would literally be a nervous wreck before our meal that it wouldn't work (IT ALWAYS DID) because of my fear, I always carried $250 in cash, just in case. I understand that's not an option for you, I just am trying to explain how severe my anxiety was. I also do this when I take my boys out to the movies, dinner or whatnot. I have an envelope w/cash, if my debit or credit card won't work (even though I always have money in it). My brother gave me a $500 gift card to a spa last year. Do you know I waited 8 months to use it because I wanted to have $600 cash on me "just in case" the gift card didnt work!

In reality you paid for the DDP ~ if it doesn't go through you wait till it does. The restaurant deals with millions of guests, I'm sure things happen and they know how to handle it.
Good luck Nicky! Happy 40th! I just turned 40 this past June.

Hi Nicky :) I read most of this thread. Although, most of it is rather off topic I have to respond. I have a major fear, it takes over a big part of my vacation as well as simple things like taking my kids out for dinner. I have a fear that my debit card won't work & my money will fall out of my purse before we make it to the restaurant. I then will be caught without a means to pay. Our trip to WDW I had the DDP. I would literally be a nervous wreck before our meal that it wouldn't work (IT ALWAYS DID) because of my fear, I always carried $250 in cash, just in case. I understand that's not an option for you, I just am trying to explain how severe my anxiety was. I also do this when I take my boys out to the movies, dinner or whatnot. I have an envelope w/cash, if my debit or credit card won't work (even though I always have money in it). My brother gave me a $500 gift card to a spa last year. Do you know I waited 8 months to use it because I wanted to have $600 cash on me "just in case" the gift card didnt work!

In reality you paid for the DDP ~ if it doesn't go through you wait till it does. The restaurant deals with millions of guests, I'm sure things happen and they know how to handle it.
Good luck Nicky! Happy 40th! I just turned 40 this past June.

This is exactly how I am. I hate paying with debit/credit/gift cards I am so paranoid that they won't work. I will forgo things like picking up a coffee or doing things on spur of the moment if I don't have the cash on me. My biggest one is getting gas I almost always make sure I have enough cash on me just incase my card won't work. It's actually happened twice on me too. Once was at Walmart, I had gone over my daily limit which I didn't know I had for some reason. The second was getting gas my card just would not work and I had to call my DH he used his card for same account and it worked fine I ended up having to get a new card.

This is exactly how I am. I hate paying with debit/credit/gift cards I am so paranoid that they won't work. I will forgo things like picking up a coffee or doing things on spur of the moment if I don't have the cash on me. My biggest one is getting gas I almost always make sure I have enough cash on me just incase my card won't work. It's actually happened twice on me too. Once was at Walmart, I had gone over my daily limit which I didn't know I had for some reason. The second was getting gas my card just would not work and I had to call my DH he used his card for same account and it worked fine I ended up having to get a new card.

I've done that too! Needing an Iced Coffee sooo badly. Not having any cash on me but knowing I have over $1000 on my debit card. I won't do it for that darn fear it will get declined. This must be a true disorder or something.???

If there is nothing in the bank than you simply shouldn't be going on vacation. Having a security/savings fund is more important than vacation. I wouldn't be worrying about what happens if something is wrong with disney's dining plan system, I would be worrying about what happens if the car breaks down and needs unexpected repairs or if a health emergency happens and there are unexpected out of pocket expenses.

If there is nothing in the bank than you simply shouldn't be going on vacation. Having a security/savings fund is more important than vacation. I wouldn't be worrying about what happens if something is wrong with disney's dining plan system, I would be worrying about what happens if the car breaks down and needs unexpected repairs or if a health emergency happens and there are unexpected out of pocket expenses.

I wish op had stated what happens if MB doesn't work to pay for meals cause I'm not paying twice and hope they reimburse me. Then she would not be getting all this "financial advise" she clearly does not want and didn't ask for.

I agree with this. I will say, I don't really care who travels with what if they aren't asking to use my money though. I'd recommend not posting about financials if they don't want the comments in the future.

Our first trip to Disney we were driving home on our check out day and got into a nasty car accident. Totaled our car. We had to get a rental vehicle, a hotel for the night, etc.

There's no magic place money would have come from if we didn't have security funds. It's a terrifying though that this could happen to someone. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter