what if im not thin enough?

supergrrl20

Rio De Tiempo 4ever!
I am getting married in july. i am buying my dress this weekend(davids bridal), but i am currently dieting and working out. i am a size 8 but would love to be smaller. should i wait to buy my dress?

supergrrl20 said:
I am getting married in july. i am buying my dress this weekend(davids bridal), but i am currently dieting and working out. i am a size 8 but would love to be smaller. should i wait to buy my dress?
Buy your normal size and then have it altered if you lose.Congratulations! :wizard:

My oh my this is the age old question. If your wedding is July that is coming sooner than you think. You need to go ahead and order the dress in the size that you are b/c if you wait you may find that a)you didn't lose the weight or b) that the dress has been discontinued or not in stock and may take quite a while to reach the store.

If you buy the dress in your size then if you stay the same weight you know it will fit but, if you do lose the weight it can be taken it. It is hard to tell when a dress has been taken in but it can become quite obvious if a dress is let out b/c the seams are either misaligned or the lace, beads, or embrodiery do not match up.

This is what I was advised when I chose my dress. I hope it helps and good luck on your diet! :thumbsup2

Honey, buy the dress. I can't believe you think you need to go under a size 8!!! We all wish we could be that size.

thanks for the advice..by the way i am only 5ft tall and a size 8 is like a size 12 on a taller person lol

:blush: LOL I'm only 5'2" and a size 14 :scratchin hmmmm

Well besides that, they told me at David's Bridal when I mentioned I was planning on losing weight before my October wedding that losing 20 pounds only makes you go down one dress size! Everyone seems to agree with that :confused3 They ordered me a size in my dress that fit me, but fit me quite tight to be safe if I didn't lose as much as I want, which is 20-30. I bet they'll suggest the same for you :)

Just don't be upset about sizes at David's. My friend got her dress there, she is a size 2 - 4 (5' 2" tall and very thin) and had to get a size 10 dress to fit her. She was upset but it's not the number that matters, it's the fit. I got my dress at a private bridal salon and got my normal size. But like I told my friend, don't get hung up on the number!

And I'm sorry, but my goodness you do not need to lose weight! For one thing, your finace fell in love with YOU not your dress size :thumbsup2

I tried and tried to lose weight for the wedding but put on 10lbs. Never had that hard of a time. Now isn't the time to worry about the weight since you've got a lot of other stuff going on. Trust me from experience- order the larger size.

Brittany

Don't get upset about the weight! I had been concerned about it, as well. I finally got to the point that I was cranky eating yougart and fruit all day. The stress, antcipation, and excitement will bring a few pounds off in the last few weeks anyway.

Also a note. I normally wear between a 6 and a 8. My dress from David's Bridal was a 10. The have a tendency to run small, not true to size. You're better off having lots of extra space for any alterations you need or want, too. I totally changed the neckline on my dress. The seamstress mentioned how grateful she was that the dress was big and that she had room to play with it.

One of the best things you can do for yourself is exercise... and I mean that in a totally general snese of "best thing you can do for yourself." Walking is an easy and pleasurable way to get your heartrate up. Sart taking strolls with DFi or the dog in the evening. It will make you relax that much more, too. Just remember not to sabotage yourself and eat sensibly. Eating in can save you huge amounts of fat, salt, and calories. They estimate that when you eat out, you are eating 40% more in portion size, salt, fat, and Caloric intake than you would by eating in. If you must eat out, grab a salad or lighter meal option.

Remember, you fiance already thinks you are the most beautiful woman in the world. When he sees you on your wedding day, the dress, veil, hair and make-up are just a wash. He's looking at you, his angel, as he takes those vows and none of the material frills.

I agree with everyone! We all want/wanted to be that thin bride in our dresses. I tried myself to lose atleast 10 pounds before the wedding but it didnt happen. Sizes dont matter ..its the way the dress fits and what it flatters that matters. Bottom line is we all look truly beautiful, thin or over weight, on our wedding days because we are on :cloud9: and it shows! Happiness is the best beauty of all!

I agree with the others. You should order the dress in the size that fits now. It is MUCH easier for an alterations expert to take a dress in than to let one out. I too planned to lose weight before my wedding, but I ended up gaining some. It would be much more stressful to have to hope that the dress was big enough than to know it fits today and hope it gets taken in.

Just be sure to order the size they recommend, not your normal dress size. For some reason, bridal attire tends to run very small. Most women end up with a wedding dress around 2 sizes larger than their typical size. Remember, no one sees the size, but everyone can see if it’s too tight.

When I worked in retail, specifically the fitting room at The Gap, there would be girls all the time that would grab a pair of jeans without looking at the tag size. Then they would ask for either a larger or a smaller size. Some would even go as far as to ask us to cut the size out after they bought the garment. It happens much more often then you might think, maybe if it's a size issue you can do the same.

Have fun dress shopping, and happy planning!

My dress was taken in a lot and it still came out looking good. Unfortunately I lost even more weight in the three days between my last fitting and the wedding so it was still too big :headache:. Get the size you need and worry about alterations later. I also heard that a corset back is more forgiving than buttons or a zipper, in case you gain or lose a few pounds.

When I bought my dress, I had just lost quite a bit of weight and wore a pants size of 6 (unfortunately I was not able to maintain that, but that's a different story :guilty: ) However, even wearing a size 6 jean translated to a size 10 in wedding dress sizes. Just buy what fits. Altering down is always easier than trying to make a dress fit that is too small.

i boight a great dress thankyou all for your advice..i would have died at the size i had to but, but nowi know:) i bet men designed the dresses

Haha! :rotfl:

I always said it was to scare you into losing weight and then you would have to use their alterations department!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter