What if I don't WANT dessert with every TSM?

mrsmouse

Mouseketeer
I wanted to ask if anyone has been able to switch an appetizer for the dessert?

Even with all of the walking I'll be doing... with 5 of us in our party, we don't need 5 desserts! And btw, some of those appetizers sound great!

What do you think?

No you will have to pay for the appetizer. You don't have to order dessert if you don't want it. Up to you but they won't switch unless the CM looks at it differently which I doubt. Try it if you want never hurt but I done it joking to waiter & he had a good laugh & said he wished it was one or the other as some prefers the appetizers:)

I think, no. Better than that, I know no. Period. As tiger4me2 states, if you don't want dessert, you don't have to order dessert - but you can't get an appetizer instead. You can, again as pointed out above, pay for appetizers (or, for another $32 per person per night, you can upgrade to the Deluxe Dining Plan and get appetizers with each and every table service meal; or you can eat at buffets).

They don't allow it. I did have a Latte in the place of dessert in a couple of restaurants, but we paid OOP for all appetizers.

You could always ask for fruit instead of dessert or ask if you can take your dessert to go. Sometimes they give wrapped cookies or brownies that you could take and snack on later or save for breakfast the next morning. MMM... cookies for breakfast.

Even with all of the walking I'll be doing... with 5 of us in our party, we don't need 5 desserts! And btw, some of those appetizers sound great!
This is exactly why I'm not getting the dining plan; I don't want to be "forced" to eat something I don't want, or have to pass up something I do want, just to get my money's worth. I'm going to order exactly what I want to order, nothing more or less.

Well, let's not get crazy- I LOVE dessert... but, the appetizers sound so good. I know I'll be very well fed on the plan, and it would be nice if there was a little flexibility... Are you listening Disney execs?

It won't hurt to ask, right????

Thanks Dis-er's

I can tell you that I have asked and been told a flat out resounding NO.Sometimes they will let you have a cheese plate or a fruit plate or sugar free dessert, but no appetizer subs.The one Cm told me they could be fired for doing it.

Apparently the elimination of the appetizer from the regular plan was done partly to make a three course meal a two course meal and speed up table turnover. If diners were allowed to choose between appetizer and dessert, some would choose an appetizer, some would choose dessert, and they'd share, thus taking the same time as a three-course meal. When they took the appetizer out of the basic plan, they added the option of the deluxe plan - if you choose that, you will get all three courses, but pay accordingly. They'll switch the extra time you spend at the table for the extra money you'd be spending on the deluxe plan. (Another reason was doubtless to keep costs down - appetizers are more expensive to produce than desserts.)

This is probably the main reason that WDW does not permit substitution of appetizers for desserts on the basic dining plan under any circumstances. (There have been no posts to my knowledge from anyone who successfully subsituted an appetizer for a dessert on the basic plan.) There are a limited number of choices where basic dining customers can get an appetizer with their meal - buffets, fixed menu family style meals like CRT or Ohana, the Fantasmic Dinner Package and the pilot menu at Le Cellier. Otherwise it is absolutely not permitted, although some restaurants, if not most, will substutite fruit for dessert. Some have a cheese selection available that may be ordered as dessert.

What do you think?

See that's the problem, don't need and dessert NEVER fit in the same sentence when talking about Disney. Take your medicine and eat those desserts at every TS meal.

By the way you can skip dessert at the buffet and load on the "appetizer portion of the buffet". I dare you, go ahead ;) I'll be there to watch you too. :rotfl2:

What do you think?

Yeah I always wonder the same thing out of the 4 of us going, 2 are diabetic - deserts are a no-no for them!

Yeah I always wonder the same thing out of the 4 of us going, 2 are diabetic - deserts are a no-no for them!

All of the TS restaurants will substitute fruit for dessert: all you have to do is ask. Some of them also have sugar-free desserts. I'm not diabetic but I got sick of desserts last year and I got some wonderful fruit cups.. the one at Cap'n Jacks was particularly delish!

There have been quite a few dining CMs post about this subject on here. Waiters have now been told that if they vary the plan in any way they will be fired. I don't think any waiter is going to risk his job. They have posted that they cannot make substitutions (appetizer for dessert), even for health reasons. Which makes sense if you think about it. Anyone who wanted an appetizer could just say they were a diabetic. It's illegal to ask for proof of a disability or illness. As previous posters have said, almost every restaurant offers a sugar free dessert and fresh fruit. My mom is also a very brittle diabetic and has never had a problem finding something she can eat.

This is exactly why I'm not getting the dining plan; I don't want to be "forced" to eat something I don't want, or have to pass up something I do want, just to get my money's worth. I'm going to order exactly what I want to order, nothing more or less.

You aren't forced to get the dessert. We've just skipped the dessert a few times, no problem. The servers asked again if we were sure because it was included and we were entitled to it, but we just didn't want any. It's no problem.

The WDW restaurants are usually very accommodating of special dietary concerns, just let them know if you have party members that are diabetic, have allergies, gluten intolerance, etc, and they will do what they can for you. I've heard you can even call ahead of time to have it noted on your ADR.

As for the length of time it takes for appetizer and dessert courses, that may very well be one of the main reasons for no substitutions, but it's actually a bit lame if you think about it. :laughing: If my husband and each order an appetizer, then it might take 15-20 minutes for that course; same for dessert if we each have our own dessert. But if we shared an appetizer, it might take us 8-10 minutes for the course, since we are each only eating half of it -- and the same for shared dessert. So what's the difference? :confused3 A few minutes extra for taking the order, prep time in the kitchen, and bringing it to the table. But there are variables for any party eating in a restaurant -- some people will eat in a hurry and leave, others will want to linger, chat over coffee and dessert...

I personally think one of the biggest factors as to why the DDP is dessert only with no substitution for dessert is that guests are more likely to pay OOP for an appetizer at the beginning of a meal when they first arrive at the restaurant, they are hungry, everything looks good. They are more likely to go outside of the prepaid DDP and order an appetizer that they will have to pay extra for. If they were given a choice, they might order the included appetizer, the entree, the beverage...and by then, they will be full, and satisfied, and a lot less likely to open their wallet and pay for a dessert course. Also, if you think about it...if they order an appetizer OOP, eat their main meal, and then they are too full and don't bother to order the dessert that is included with the DDP, then Disney saves money, right? :rotfl2:

You aren't forced to get the dessert.
Of course not! But the DDP is priced as if you always get dessert. If you don't order all the food included in the plan, you're no longer saving money on the plan. It's cheaper to pay totally OOP.

Right - which is why the Dining Plan is NOT the best option for every Guest, and why each Guest/party needs to determine this for themselves in advance.

Someone posted that you get appetizers @ the brown derby with the fantasmick package...can anyone tell me more? we have this booked (using 2 of our ts credits)

See that's the problem, don't need and dessert NEVER fit in the same sentence when talking about Disney. Take your medicine and eat those desserts at every TS meal.

By the way you can skip dessert at the buffet and load on the "appetizer portion of the buffet". I dare you, go ahead ;) I'll be there to watch you too. :rotfl2:

I know, I know... LOL... In my excessive planning I am trying to only gain 3.5 instead of 5 pounds on this disney trip! How many calories do you burn in one day at Magic Kingdom?

I love dessert!!! The zebra domes are calling me!

tell them to leave it in the fridge for me I'll be there in 12 days. Thanks!!!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter