What if I dont chose any port excursions

tcrowley

Mouseketeer
This October 14th will be our first cruise. My daughter is getting married by the captain on the 15th and I am not thinking of booking any excursions when we dock in Nassua . Is there things to do ? Is there a beach to lay the day away on or stroll into shops or anything ? :wave2:

There are folks who just stay on the ship. You'll have it almost all to yourself.
Lay out by the pool - in peace.

Nassau can be a bit sketchy. There are shops and such, but its not "nice" shopping IMHO. There are beaches, but the opinions on the public ones are very mixed. I agree, stay on the ship and relax.

We have walked to the shops at Old Town Nassau several times without any problems whatsoever. There is a straw market there as well. However, once is enough at the straw market. Same thing over and over. You can take a water taxi or regular taxi to Paradise Island. There is a public beach right next to the Atlantis. You can rent wave runners there. We have done this and it is a lot of fun. Have never felt unsafe in Nassau.

If you want a beach you could get a day pass at the Sheraton or one of the other hotels and relax.

On our last cruise we had excursions almost every day...
...this time around I'm looking forward to relaxing on the ship...except when we get to Castaway Cay...then we will relax there ;)

You can get some great "fake" name brand purses at the straw market. But like the other poster said - 1 trip is enough. All of the sales ladies try to get you to buy from them, lots of pressure. If you love haggling over prices you would have fun there. Besides the straw market, I did not see anything else I liked in Nassau.
On my second cruise I did an excursion of Atlantis - a tour. I loved it - very beautiful, the fish tanks are amazing.

You could get off the ship and check out the Straw Market and then grab some lunch and a couple of beverages at somewhere like Senor Frogs. All this is easy walk from the pier, 5-10 minute walk, and then head back to the ship for relaxing by the adult pool as the ship is way less crowded.

I vote to stay on the ship as well I was not at all impressed with Nassau. Also no need to get off for lunch as you have already paid for a except meal on the ship. Have a great cruise. My friend is getting married on the Dream next year do I hope you give details.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

is it possible to just book something while on board? If you don't choose anything beforehand?

Can this be done last minute, or even as a walk-in?

Yes, usually but call the hotel in advance to see if they limit the amount of walk-in day passes so you get an idea.

is it possible to just book something while on board? If you don't choose anything beforehand?

yes, you may not have a full selection of excursions but once we booked a beach day excursion onboard 30 minutes before it started.

MJ

Another vote for staying on the ship.

It will be virtually empty and you can have your run of the boat! The pools, the bars, the buffet, the movie theater....it's all YOURS!

We don't regret it one bit. But then again, I'd be happy with a DCL itinerary that sailed out to CC and back to FL.

I wanted to see Atlantis. So, we took the water taxi over to Paradise Island and walked to the resort. We decided to do the Aquarium and bought a day pass when we got there for $39 pp. We also walked the grounds and window shopped inside the resort.

We only spent half the day on Nassau, we went back to the ship for lunch.

CC was my day to lay on the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter