What if Disney closed a park for maintenance or a revamp?

NigelSTW

Mouseketeer
If this idea has been brought up on another thread I apologize.

I think it safe to say that one of the more aggravating aspect of WDW of the past few years is how long it takes to complete any new attraction or renovation. Who knows when Star Wars-land will launch, or Toy Story-land will drop? Two years or four year . . . five whole years? Disneyland was built in a year, but it took multiple years to build New Fantasyland. At our local Hersheypark a new darkride funhouse indoor coaster was built in a mere eight months. In the Mouse’s defense Hersheypark is partially closed for eight months of the year, so there are not paying customers to work around as there was in the MK during New Fantasyland construction or now with Pandora being constructed while AK operates as normal. Also, seasonal parks have the luxury of the offseason to freshen things up, and not let things slowly slide to seedy as it the case with the Carousel of Progress or Buzz Lightyear.

While I would never ever expect this to occur I do wonder what people would think about the following two hypothetical events. 1) Disney announces closing DHS for say eight or nine months (from September to May) to reopen as the revamped Disney’s Movie Adventure or whatever they will rebrand it. 2) Disney started to make it the custom that every two to five years each park would close for say three weeks in the off season for a thorough freshening. (Two parks would never be closed at the same time.) Rover in CoP could get his tail working, and Buzz Lightyear good get a thorough painting and blown speakers repaired.

Regarding 1: I like the idea of relaunching a park anew. It is possibly the next best thing to opening the much discussed 5th Gate. If Disney would do it they would have to give at least a year’s notice that WDW is going to be down a park for most of a year. (WDW down the revenue from a park ensures this will never come to pass, but I find the idea intriguing.)

Regard 2: I think Disney could get away with it for Epcot or AK (maybe), but never for MK. I think if MK ever shut down for more than a day there would be riots in the streets.

I think these ideas have merit, but I do not think the down revenue and the probable public backlash would let it occur.

Yes. The mental image of the Griswalds driving to WDW only to find out from the mechanical Mickey that the park has closed crossed my mind.

Thoughts or similar ideas?

I don't think that you need to close the entire park to refurbish it. How would closing all of MK help you fix Rover's tail in CoP any faster?

They would have to reduce the price of park hoppers and annual passes to make up for the lost value of those tickets...and that's never going to happen.

Disney is just slow at building new things.. it doesn't matter if the park is open or not during it. Look how long Avatar is taking to build. That's in a completely sectioned off area of the park far from guests' view. It isn't like they're building it in the middle of a busy area like they were with New Fantasyland.

A whole lot of people would postpone trips until all 4 parks were open again.

Disney is just slow at building new things.. it doesn't matter if the park is open or not during it. Look how long Avatar is taking to build. That's in a completely sectioned off area of the park far from guests' view. It isn't like they're building it in the middle of a busy area like they were with New Fantasyland.

Yep. I expect the SW and TS expansions to be much more like Avatar than Fantasyland, in no small part because so much of the footprint for those projects is already pretty vacant. But I don't expect them to progress quickly. I stand by my original guess of a 2021 completion date. That would just fit so well into the 50th anniversary hype that we all know is coming, to open the new lands with all sorts of pretty talk about how Walt Disney World will never be "finished". Although I'll admit, a friend pointed out that 2019 will be Studios' 30th anniversary and that could provide a good slant for launching the newly renamed, newly expanded park.

It's one of those things that makes sense (especially with regards to a major renovation like at HS) but also something that will never happen.

I'm not sure how long the DCA renovation took but I remember when we were out there for D23 in 2011 and it was a total mess. Construction walls all over. I felt bad because it was my friend's first trip to CA. We were back there last month and she got to see the results - amazing!

Announced in 2007, completed in 2012.

http://disneygeek.com/construction/

One of the nice things about Disney is that the parks are open every day of the year. I would not plan a trip during a time that I knew one of the parks would be closed. Trips for us don't happen all that often so I want access to everything when we go. I think it's fine that they close attractions periodically for refurbishment. I would much rather they do that than close a park completely.

It took four years to build the Magic Kingdom, which opened with far fewer rides than there are there now, and three years to build EPCOT - which actually opened with a relatively large number of rides.

I would book away from any times where any of the parks were closed, and I don't see the reason for them to close them, anyway. They're all designed to be shut down a chunk at a time, and any retrofit of a park takes a long time, regardless of if the park is closed or not, so I don't think you'd see the massive acceleration you're thinking of.

The New Fantasyland took so long because it was wrapped up in MDE as well, which didn't help matters. Avatar has been as well, so we'll have to see with Star Wars and Toy Story and such.

While closing down the entire Studios to get it all redone does sound nice, what to do with the attractions that are currently open? For us, we don't do much at the Studios, even before the recent closures of many things but we do like Toy Story Mania, Twilight Zone, Rock N Roller Coaster, and Star Tours. All of which will remain after the revamp. So, how to deny a family Toy Story Mania? Or the other still open attractions? That would be difficult to explain to a lot of paying guests.

Also, Disney World is open 365(6) days a year and the only time a park has closed is for an act of God or, in the case of 9/11, an act of terrorism.

If Disney did shut down a park for a long period of time for a revamp my knee jerk thought was that a discount on the parkhoppers would be in order, but I am not so sure. Yes, there is one less park, but one can still hop between three parks. I think it might be expected by many in this scenario, but I don't think it necessarily follows. Also, if a park were to be closed for a long period I think Disney would have to give a year's notice at minimum. For me if DHS was closed I would still go to WDW. AK is the same. The MK or Epcot I would skip the year. Again, this is more a thought experiment than anything that would ever happen in my opinion. I do think having a park that is expected to be open 365 days a year, year after year does have a downside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter