• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What ID do you take out with you?

Why would you leave a restaurant instead of just showing ID?!

Being forty and asked for id is faintly amusing, being over sixty and asked for id is patronising.
If they cannot be bothered to train their staff to recognise even roughly a customers age then we don't trust them to train them in other areas.
There are plenty of well run restaurants to choose from after all.

ford famiy

Being forty and asked for id is faintly amusing, being over sixty and asked for id is patronising.
If they cannot be bothered to train their staff to recognise even roughly a customers age then we don't trust them to train them in other areas.

ford famiy

They are not allowed to use common sense :)

ford famiy

It's funny how we view things in different ways - some establishments have a policy where everybody has to be asked to show ID, regardless of how old they look. To me, I would take being asked for ID as a sign that the staff were well trained enough that they would apply the policy even when 'common sense' tells them it is not necessary;)

It's funny how we view things in different ways - some establishments have a policy where everybody has to be asked to show ID, regardless of how old they look. To me, I would take being asked for ID as a sign that the staff were well trained enough that they would apply the policy even when 'common sense' tells them it is not necessary;)
You are right, it is funny.
To me, a company that has a policy where everybody has to be asked for id, regardless of how old they look, is telling me that their hiring threshold is so low that they cannot rely on their wait staff possessing the ability to think for themselves. So, rather than allow them to use common sense, they automate the process. Their staff are not so much well trained as untrained.
We will continue to avoid restaurants with such low hiring standards. YMMV

ford family

We are from Canada, the past three years we have been denied alcohol with our Canadian driver's license. A passport, or colour photocopy is required for guest outside of the US, in Florida. There is even signage that states this in the Jock Lindsey Hanger Bar. I am 40 but do not look it, get id'ed at home to buy lottery and alcohol, age for both is 18 here.

I once saw a lady get refused service for ordering a margarita with her counter service meal. She kept saying, "But I'm 70!". Staff wouldn't accept it - the policy is blanket, no ID, no drink. I'm glad we continued with our visit though - this was at WDW in 2006 (and incidentally the same staff that refused me two drinks because I only had 1 ID). I saw a similar thing in Universal a few years ago too in the bakery where Jaws used to be with someone ordering a Budweiser, the bloke was at least 50. It's not a " common sense " policy but you can see why it exists in areas with a hugely diverse customer base and high turnover of customers - it makes life simple and doesn't put the business,or staff, at risk of violation. In many ways it's less offensive to ID everyone rather that allowing staff to make personal judgements. Anyway, it doesn't bother us but then we get ID'd everywhere! I find it more annoying that we both have to go to the bar!

Last edited:
While it can be annoying to carry around ID all the time, I agree that it's better to have the policy 'everyone, all the time' than to make the staff pick and choose. I used to be a waitress and so many people got offended when I asked for ID, it was really frustrating. Especially as I always thought to myself 'better safe than sorry'. So do be patient and forgiving with the staff, they're only following the rules given to them...

The trouble is that some people look a lot younger than they are, while others look a lot older than they are, so it can be hard to judge who to ask for ID's. Unless they've changed the policy on ID's in WDW since I worked there, their policy is to ID anyone who looks younger than 30. Also the CM's can accept any ID from any country provided that they understand the ID (i.e. the language, the date format and that they know it's a proper ID). I think part of the problem with ID's is that they write the dates a bit backwards in the us, like todays date would be written 04.06.16.

For what it's worth we took out our uk driving licenses and photocopies of passports in colour, a CM at AK and a server at Universal both told me that they would have accepted the passport as a photo on my phone along with the U.K. ID but I didn't risk trying it elsewhere.

The only place I don't remember being ID'd was at UK pavilion in Epcot haha, guess they were used to our ID's :D:D

Do you really need photo ID to buy a drink if you are over 30 years old ?

It's a nice thought to be able to do just that, unfortunately I got I.Ded at Morrisons earlier this week and I'm 31 ha ha

I've found the whole IDing thing in WDW to be totally inconsistent.

I've used my DL once or twice with no issues but have seen people turned away with just their DL. Just depends on the member of staff, the location and the training I guess. I would never dream of taking my passport out with me, I'd be paranoid of loosing it lol.

I'm not that much of a drinker so if they don't take my DL then no biggie, coke it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter