What I really miss from years ago on DCL!

luvavacation

DIS Veteran
So the lack of chocolate covered strawberries on the Fantasy had me thinking...of what food I really miss, which would be the berries.

We have been on 7 DCL cruises over the last 11 years. Years ago, at breakfast, there used to be a setup where you could go and get berries, all sorts of berries. I particularly love blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries, and these all used to be available at the breakfast buffet. No longer.

I have searched in vain on the last few cruises for a "berry bar" at the buffet, but to no avail. I finally asked around this past cruise as to what happened to the berry bar, and was told it was just too expensive to keep those berries out, that they disappear too quickly and replenishing them ate into the bottom line. Instead, they are kept for the reservation only restaurants, and sometimes on request from the Head Server, assuming you have a Head Server that is a people pleaser, I suppose.

The berry bar is what I really, really miss from my cruises. I used to eat only the berries for breakfast, they were all so ripe and juicy and tasty, not to mention how nice it was to eat something light and healthy after all the other heavy (but so tasty!) meals!

Bring back the berries! :)

I miss the white chocolate slippers filled with chocolate mousse and the midnight dessert bar.

So the lack of chocolate covered strawberries on the Fantasy had me thinking...of what food I really miss, which would be the berries.

We have been on 7 DCL cruises over the last 11 years. Years ago, at breakfast, there used to be a setup where you could go and get berries, all sorts of berries. I particularly love blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries, and these all used to be available at the breakfast buffet. No longer.

I have searched in vain on the last few cruises for a "berry bar" at the buffet, but to no avail. I finally asked around this past cruise as to what happened to the berry bar, and was told it was just too expensive to keep those berries out, that they disappear too quickly and replenishing them ate into the bottom line. Instead, they are kept for the reservation only restaurants, and sometimes on request from the Head Server, assuming you have a Head Server that is a people pleaser, I suppose.

The berry bar is what I really, really miss from my cruises. I used to eat only the berries for breakfast, they were all so ripe and juicy and tasty, not to mention how nice it was to eat something light and healthy after all the other heavy (but so tasty!) meals!

Bring back the berries! :)

I second this! I loved the berries for breakfast. It was great to have fresh fruit besides melons and grapes. The berries definitely helped to offset all the other heavy food you eat throughout the day.

Please tell me they still have the berries at Palo brunch.

Not food, but what I've missed from the first time we sailed on the Magic, shortly after she launched, was the Improv in what is now Diversions.

Please tell me they still have the berries at Palo brunch.

Not food, but what I've missed from the first time we sailed on the Magic, shortly after she launched, was the Improv in what is now Diversions.

They did on the Dream last month. They also have them in the afternoon in the concierge lounge.

As stated above - the prices.

The "original" sail away party - the new one is awful.

Pretty much all of the late night entertainment - Village People, Go-Gos, Travolta and Gloria Gainer contests. Now they have Karaoke -blah

Did I mention the prices...

Live music on the pool decks during the day.

Character breakfast.

The ESPN Bar.

Being able to get to know many cast members well over the years - there are just too many now.

Island Magic show (you have to be a long timer to remember that one).

Hearing the horn for the very first time. We pretty much booked our first cruise with little planning and certainly no research, so we had no idea that the horn would be so "magical".

Things always have to change, but those are some things I miss from the old days. I don't miss trying to negotiate the hallways with a double stroller for my twins though!

Hubby misses those buffet berries too! I miss the chocolate peanut butter pie from AP! :sad:

I was just talking to my husband the other day on why the cruise line never has strawberries on the buffet. I assumed it was cause strawberries are seasonal fruit. Now I'm bummed to read it is because Disney is being cheap.

The original Castaway Club reception was very nice when we attended our first in 2004. We really do not bother with the current offering usually. We only went to the MV's event to listen to John Lasseter talk. Did not seem like we were there 2 hours.

• Bridge tour.
  • Dueling pianos.
  • Steel drum band.
Woody

I'll second the Improv comedy. I'd enjoy 2 or 3 shows each night and each show was different. I know it was a cost cutting issue, but it was one of the best things DCL ever did - but cut far too soon.

I also miss the very early days when they were practically begging people to book the cruise. The inccentive given us after our first cruise was a free three night stay at the Grand Floridian if we purchased a 3 day land/4 day sea package. It took me only a few moments to realize what sort of a bargain that was. I've not seen it again!

I was just talking to my husband the other day on why the cruise line never has strawberries on the buffet. I assumed it was cause strawberries are seasonal fruit. Now I'm bummed to read it is because Disney is being cheap.

The Magic had strawberries for breakfast on the buffet for the first 3 days. And then they disappeared. I just assumed that they ran out and at this time of year they only store so well for so long. Even my "strawberry" shortcake only had a 1/2 a strawberry on the 3rd night. I was very disappointed by that and not at all surprized when there were no more strawberries for breakfast the next morning.

Pretty much all of the late night entertainment - Village People, Go-Gos, Travolta and Gloria Gainer contests. Now they have Karaoke -blah

Character breakfast.

The ESPN Bar.

Being able to get to know many cast members well over the years - there are just too many now.

Hearing the horn for the very first time. We pretty much booked our first cruise with little planning and certainly no research, so we had no idea that the horn would be so "magical".

Things always have to change, but those are some things I miss from the old days. I don't miss trying to negotiate the hallways with a double stroller for my twins though!

THe character breakfast is still on the magic and wonder.

Character breakfast.

The ESPN Bar.

What??? They did away with that? Next they'll do away with Match Your Mate This are two of the funniest shows ever!

Island Magic was the one involving the kids, right? I have video of my then 13-year old daughter doing it.

Speaking of shows, I also miss Hercules The Muse-ical They always kept it fresh and Hades was hysterical. Voyage of the Ghost Ship too, but not as much as Hercules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter