What I learned today!

At this time two weeks from today we will be in the Orlando waiting on the Magical Express bus to leave for the world. We are only 4 days away from the 10 day advanced check in.

As the day draws closer there are a few things that are worrying me.

First, the weather. Originally, I thought it would be no big deal. Our summers in Ohio can be brutal. In the 90's for days on end with oppressive humidity. I figured we would be acclimated by the time we left. Unfortunately, July was the coolest EVER Recorded in the history of Southwest Ohio. The average daily temperature was below 70 degrees. Noah had a T-Ball game one day and it was smoking hot outside. Sweat was rolling off us and Noah wanted to take a break because he was hot! IT WAS 75 degrees! Rumor has it we might get into the mid to high 80's today. It is going to kill us. :)

(The TIP) Schedule More breaks, more time at the pool and spacing out the indoor, air conditioned, attractions.

Next is the whole disney transportation thing. Everytime, I bring it up all the vets say it is no big deal. But I am still worried about making it work.

(The TIP) Plan and allow plenty of time! The scariest one for us is the first day we get there. Get to resort, go to the park, go back to resort, get everything to our room, take a break, get ready for dinner, go to MK to catch a boat to Fort Wilderness.

Now that I mention it, that brings up another worry. Are we overbooked? All that scheduled on our first day. That being a day where we wake up at 5:00 to catch a plane at 8:00. Are we going to be ruined after day one. Day two has a character breakfast scheduled at 8:50 after being out late the night before....

Okay, here is the real tip for today.

STOP WORRYING AND JUST PLAN TO HAVE FUN! We didn't pay for the dining plan. If we don't make it to the meals so be it. If we don't ride every ride so be it. If all we do is sit at the hotel and swim. So be it. This is kind of a repeat of other tips but it probably is the best tip of all. You worked all year, you made it to almost every meeting and soccer practice and t ball game and birthday party and holiday party, and on and on and on. They say the ideal setting for a resort is to make it like a home away from home. That is okay if all you are talking about is warmth and ammenities but if you are talking about the hustle and bustle of normal home life you can keep home away from home.

I actually have to disagree with both reasons.

The airline is much more likely to lose or delay your luggage than ME. If you allow ME to handle your bags and they don't arrive at the airport, ME will start the process of finding them while you are enjoying yourselves in the parks. If you don't put the yellow tags on them, you may have to stay at the airport for a very, very long time.

Also, you should always pack everything you will need for the first 24 hours in your carry-on for the same reason.

Another strike against it is that not only does getting your own luggage add about 20 minutes to your trip, it also add extra time for everyone else on the bus, too.

That's why I started the thread. :)

So you are saying that the ME people know that my luggage was supposed to be there and will begin the process of looking for it for me? That is awesome. I thought we would get back from our the Campfire Sing a Long and Movie and have to deal with it when I found no luggage in the room?

(The TIP) Plan and allow plenty of time! The scariest one for us is the first day we get there. Get to resort, go to the park, go back to resort, get everything to our room, take a break, get ready for dinner, go to MK to catch a boat to Fort Wilderness.

Now that I mention it, that brings up another worry. Are we overbooked? All that scheduled on our first day. That being a day where we wake up at 5:00 to catch a plane at 8:00. Are we going to be ruined after day one. Day two has a character breakfast scheduled at 8:50 after being out late the night before....

I think you may be trying to do too much on day 1. Day 2 I think you will be exhausted. IF you do plan some rest time after the character meal at 8:50, you should be ok. Getting up at 5:00am is going to catch up to everyone, even if they are able to sleep on the plane.

My last trip it was myself and DD(11). We were so excited it was just us and we only had each other to worry about agreeing with. Despite the desire to slow down and watch people, we ended up very tired very quickly! Too many late nights and early mornings. This year I plan on really leaving the parks and going to the pool.

The weather. Originally, I thought it would be no big deal. Our summers in Ohio can be brutal. In the 90's for days on end with oppressive humidity. I figured we would be acclimated by the time we left. Unfortunately, July was the coolest EVER Recorded in the history of Southwest Ohio.

Being a fellow Ohioan (Cincinnati), I have the same concern. I'm really hoping it's not so hot that it won't be fun!

PS, I've really enjoyed your countdown tips! We're also arriving at WDW on 8/22. Maybe our families will run into each other - we'll be the ones wearing all the Bearcats garb.

That's why I started the thread. :)

So you are saying that the ME people know that my luggage was supposed to be there and will begin the process of looking for it for me? That is awesome. I thought we would get back from our the Campfire Sing a Long and Movie and have to deal with it when I found no luggage in the room?

Yup. When you check in at the ME counter, they will ask you how many bags you have. If they don't show up, they'll start the process of finding them.

Being a fellow Ohioan (Cincinnati), I have the same concern. I'm really hoping it's not so hot that it won't be fun!

PS, I've really enjoyed your countdown tips! We're also arriving at WDW on 8/22. Maybe our families will run into each other - we'll be the ones wearing all the Bearcats garb.

We're arriving on the 22nd also!! Two Weeks from today!!! I can't believe it! All day long I've been saying "In two weeks, we'll be at the POP unpacking our stuff"... "In two weeks, we'll be eating at Kona Cafe"... "In two weeks, we'll be watching Wishes!!"

YIPPEE!!!:cool1::thumbsup2:cool1::banana::cool1::cheer2::cool1:

Great thread, Jamie! Thanks for compiling as I know it's a lot of hard work.

RE: Day one....Do not burn the candle at both ends on the first day. I know it's tempting and you're excited, etc but I would not attend the dinner at FW. Stay at the hotel after the park. Sleep, relax, swim, eat at the food court, get to bed early. You'll be glad you did.

I think the most common newbie mistake is to try to do it all. I cannot stress enough the amount of energy it takes to be on your feet all day (on hot pavement) in 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity. Especially if you are trying to do rope drop through fireworks which even with an all adult party is taxing. Your party is only as strong as the weakest link and your children are quite small. I suggest you make your priority list for each park and be ready to head out at the first sign of "cranky". ;)

Probably another common mistake is to back a late night up to an early morning. Here is a common scenario: Illuminations is at 9:00pm and lasts 10-15 minutes. There's the issue of getting back to the bus in the crowd of several thousand (I would estimate the buses are probably a mile from the World Showcase), waiting for the bus, riding the bus (sometimes standing room only post-fireworks), gathering your stuff which sometimes includes sleeping kids, making the long walk back to your room, getting the Disney crud off the kids and getting them ready for bed, getting the Disney crud off yourself and getting ready for bed, and finally getting to sleep dead tired and aching....at 11:00ish. Only to get up at 6:30 to get ready to leave the room by 7:30 for EMH the next morning and do it all over again. Not so magical.

Best tip: It's your vacation. Take it easy, do what you can do, and save the rest for the next trip. :)

Cool we leave Dayton airport at 8:00am and arrive MCO 10:10. My wife has purchased us all Disney shirts to wear :rolleyes1

Yup. When you check in at the ME counter, they will ask you how many bags you have. If they don't show up, they'll start the process of finding them.

Cool

If I haven't said it before thank you for adding credibility to the thread.

T-13 Days

So as you may have figured out, the closer we get to T-0 the more nervous I am getting that I am going to mess something up at the last minute and 90 days of hardcore trip planning is going to go down the tubes. So for the next several days all I am doing is going over packing lists and all the tips I can find on getting ready to leave.

Last night I checked out the Pre Arrival Guide on Disney's Site. It doesn't have anything groundbreaking on it, but it did help the mental state a little because it was all stuff that I hadn't forgotten. :)

You can check it out here:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/pre-arrival/

T-12 Days

allears.net supplied this one, it is something to add to your list of things you need pictures of.

We have already discussed taking pictures of your kids every morning in case they get lost, take pictures of your photopass number in case it gets lost. Take a picture of your cell phone number and leave it on your digital camera memory card so if you lose the camera you might get it back. Now an allears user says take pictures of your luggage in case it gets lost. That way you can "describe" it perfectly. Not a bad idea.

Along with that though is to make sure you identify your luggage with luggage tags and put your contact information inside one of the pockets. My wife has a bright scarf she ties on them so they are easy to pick out on the baggage claim carousel. This is one to make sure we remember because we won't be picking it up at MCO but we will need it when we get home. There are quite a few Black Samsonites out there I suspect.

By the way, I tried to do advanced check in last night because I have heard that the way disney counts days might be a little different than the way we might suspect, but 12 days does not equal 10 in anyone's world I guess. :)

Also, does anyone know if we get to pick our building when we do advanced check in (ALL STAR MOVIES)...also those of you that have done it online with a value resort. Do we tell them to do the refrigerator at that time? We ordered perishables from garden grocer and I would hate to end up not getting a fridge?

T-12 Days

allears.net supplied this one, it is something to add to your list of things you need pictures of.

We have already discussed taking pictures of your kids every morning in case they get lost, take pictures of your photopass number in case it gets lost. Take a picture of your cell phone number and leave it on your digital camera memory card so if you lose the camera you might get it back. Now an allears user says take pictures of your luggage in case it gets lost. That way you can "describe" it perfectly. Not a bad idea.

Along with that though is to make sure you identify your luggage with luggage tags and put your contact information inside one of the pockets. My wife has a bright scarf she ties on them so they are easy to pick out on the baggage claim carousel. This is one to make sure we remember because we won't be picking it up at MCO but we will need it when we get home. There are quite a few Black Samsonites out there I suspect.

By the way, I tried to do advanced check in last night because I have heard that the way disney counts days might be a little different than the way we might suspect, but 12 days does not equal 10 in anyone's world I guess. :)

Also, does anyone know if we get to pick our building when we do advanced check in (ALL STAR MOVIES)...also those of you that have done it online with a value resort. Do we tell them to do the refrigerator at that time? We ordered perishables from garden grocer and I would hate to end up not getting a fridge?

In the past, our fridge was never in the room until after our arrival, but we always had one waiting:)

I did advance check in yesterday and it didn't ask me about building preferrances (although honestly I didn't type anything in the preferances box).

I assume the preferances is where you would type the fridge request reminder.

And yes, we're staying at All Star Movies. (Although my travel buddies are at All Star Music.)

Frankly last week I was having nightmares about hurricanes, this week it's about the other people travelling with us forgetting their important papers (oh like their e-tickets for the flight) or getting stuck at the security check.

My tip now is to make sure you have a copy of everyone's paperwork just so you sleep better.

I did advance check in yesterday and it didn't ask me about building preferrances (although honestly I didn't type anything in the preferances box).

I assume the preferances is where you would type the fridge request reminder.

And yes, we're staying at All Star Movies. (Although my travel buddies are at All Star Music.)

Frankly last week I was having nightmares about hurricanes, this week it's about the other people travelling with us forgetting their important papers (oh like their e-tickets for the flight) or getting stuck at the security check.

My tip now is to make sure you have a copy of everyone's paperwork just so you sleep better.

Great tip. I have palnned my whole families trips. I have made up binders for them all w/ maps, info, and their conf. #'s. I also kept a copy in my binder of everyones conf #'s. Just in case they forgot where they were going when. I never thought about them forgetting their paperwork.:scared1:

It's been my nightmare for the last week or so.

Ds and I are travelling down with 3 friends from home. One travels fine the other two not so much. To the point that one of the not so muchs tried to cross the U.S. Canadian border last week with out her passport even though she was reminded repeatedly. (They ended up having to back track to go get it, they weren't at the border but they weren't still sitting in the drive way either.)

I'm certain Disney could find their reservation with out specific paperwork (it would be easier with it), I'm just not so confident in the flight out being able to find everything in time to catch our planes.

I always entered my room requests when I made my reservations. You are allowed two.

You could probably still call CRO and add the requests to your reservation.

PS.....I clicked on the link in your signature and your report is already in the graveyard. Did you decide against writing a trip report?

...take pictures of your photopass number in case it gets lost...

Sorry if you have already talked about this but you also need to take a picture of the back of your park tickets. That way if your tickets are lost or stolen you can have them replaced. I always buy my tickets before I leave home so I make a copy to leave at home with my pet sitter and a copy to take with me. Okay, I'm a little OCD so last year I also left a copy with my sister just in case since it was our Honeymoon and I was paranoid. I had copies of everything, including our flight schedules, all reservations, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter