"What I learned from the DIS" - Spring Break 06 - **5/12 Final Day w/pics, Page 9**

okay, well I actually haven't read it yet. :blush: But I just printed it out, so I can go sit out in the sun and read it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it...it's always a good sign when all the popular TR writers are posting. That's how I know which ones will be good. ;) Can't wait to start!

Edit:
Okay, so I just read it and I love it!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear more! :thumbsup2

SO funny that your DH was surprised by the whole Maelstrom being a FP thing too...just goes to show..... :teeth:

Loved the surrey bike. My sisters and I rented a 4 person one at CBR last summer. There is a hill there, over a bridge...I think we actually started rolling backwards down the hill because we were laughing hysterically about how hard it was...plus we got yelled at because we tried to take a little detour to our room to get our camera. :rolleyes1

Actually, at the Outback in Macon, you can’t just walk up and get a table. I’ve never really figured out why. I mean, it’s a decent restaurant, but I will NEVER wait an hour to eat there.
You've just summed up my thoughts on Le Cellier. If this were a discussion thread, that might start an uproar.

I'm right with you on the less than proper clothing for girls these days. We're not raising our daughter to be one of the hooches who chases down your son. By the way, I feel the same way about my daughter's future suitors. Scum. All of them.

Finally, the feeling you had when you realized you only had six more days to go, that's anticipatory Disneyfreude. It really only effects the most well informed, Dismembers of any traveling party. The rest of the family is just along for the ride; they have no idea how much time you've spent planning. I've found the best way to combat anticipatory Disneyfreude is to focus on all of the hypercool things still do to. And to secretly be planning your Next Disney Vacation in your head.

nicolemarie said:
If you aren’t careful, there is a certain prideful attitude that can come from DISing. All of a sudden you are clearly much better at a Disney vacation than the majority of Disney vacationers. .... Anyway, I think DISers are in the minority at the World. Most people that come to Disney, come WITH NO PLAN!!!

You are so right. I did catch myself during our trip having a little "superior" attitude toward those who clearly didn't know what they were doing. Folks such as the woman checking in in front of me who didn't know there were 4 separate theme parks. There are so many resources available, though! There's not much excuse for not doing at least a tiny bit of research before going to Disney, especially at a busy time of year.

Really enjoying your report, NM. ITA with you about the pridefulness of DISing. Very good point. :)

(OK – So now it’s Sunday and we’re about to head out for church, but I couldn’t seem to sit down long enough to finish yesterday!! So a quick proofread, and I’m posting!)

It is a rainy Saturday here in Georgia, and unlike most Saturdays, I have some time to myself. The kids and DH are out for a little while. I contemplate a run, but I am not hard-core enough to mix exercise and bad weather. So I go to Chick-Fil-A and get a chicken biscuit. That makes perfect sense, right? Does anyone else have a hard time getting back to a decent eating pattern after vacation? You must know that the Chick-Fil-A nearest my home is a popular stop for vacationers. Right on the major interstate that connects the Northerners to that sunny state which is Florida. Thus, it is inevitable, especially during this time of year, that you will see kids piling out of mini-vans that are not registered in Georgia doing the “my legs are cramped up” limp. It always makes me jealous – not so much the long ride in a mini-van – but the fact that they are on vacation. So I am now motivated to relive our trip a little more, and get going on Day 4.

Day 4 – Tuesday, 3/28 – Magic Kingdom – Will Tour Guide Mike hook us up?
Magic Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Magic Kingdom – I love it there. We all do, don’t we? It’s why we DIS. It’s the consummate example of all things Disney. It’s magical and it’s happy – it’s the one park at which my entire family can have equal amounts of fun. No little brother waiting in the EE dump shop for big sis. No ride on that awful Living with the Land while everyone that’s over 40 inches tall enjoys Soarin’. Yeah, we still have to do the rider swap on the biggies at Magic Kingdom, but the little man can fire away on Buzz Lightyear or ride the people mover – which we all kinda enjoy – while he waits. So it’s all good at the Kingdom.

As I’ve told you before in prior posts, this was our first time going in a busy season. We’ve always been of the mentality that if you choose to visit Disney during the times that it costs more and is really crowded, well, you must be a glutton for punishment. “Why?” I would cry out to DH as we’d walk on ride after ride in the off season. “Why would people choose to come here and fight the crowds, the heat, and the prices during the busy season?” Those people obviously fell into one of two categories: 1) They were DISer’s. And most self-respecting DISer’s would rather spend a crowded day at Disney than a perfect day at home. 2) They were “them”. Those that come to Disney with no plan and don’t know there are better options - when it might be cheaper and less crowded. Those that, as someone responding to my TR informed me, don’t even realize there are 4 theme parks. No, this is not my judgmental DISer attitude again – just the facts.

So Magic Kingdom is the day I’ve really got to have my plan on. I have put the entire success of this trip on Tour Guide Mike today. I have high expectations. And we all know what happens when you have high expectations.

The park opens at 9:00, and we are at the bus stop by 7:45. So since we are the eager-beaver, Disney nerd family that we are, we are only one of three families on the bus from the Yacht Club to MK. No matter that the other two families are having breakfast in the park – we only want beat the crowds, people – no time for fancy expensive meals. We have those in Macon. OK – maybe not with Cinderella, but I digress. Which brings me to a quick aside: Does anyone else notice the families that do the “subtle brag”? The bragging that occurs when you are SUPPOSEDLY discussing something among just your family, but it’s really for the benefit of other listeners. It really gets on my nerves. If you do it, I suggest that you stop and just resort to all out showing off. Just say it - “Guess what? We are 2cool4U because we are staying in a suite in the main building of the Grand Floridian. For the whole summer.” Or “I’m sorry that you didn’t get breakfast with Cinderella. I am sure that you tried, but, unlike us, you failed. Maybe next time, sad little family.” Here is a perfect example of the subtle brag we experienced that morning.

Brag family mom (with a quick cut of the eyes to make sure others are listening): “Honey, are you so excited about going to eat breakfast in the Castle? With Cinderella? Ooooh – its going to be so much fun!

Brag family dad (also checking to see if he has any listeners): “I’ll bet Cinderella can’t wait for you to get there! She’s so excited to meet you. I’m so glad your Mommy got into that breakfast!”

To give Brag family the benefit of the doubt, maybe they just wanted to share their excitement with us. Maybe they were thinking we, too, were going to breakfast in the Castle. Because why else would we be getting to the turnstiles ONE HOUR before the park opens? Maybe they wanted us all to discuss how we obtained this most coveted seating and be one big happy group skipping through the park. They could never imagine our main mission was to be first in line on the Astro Orbiter.

Speaking of first in line – have you ever been THE FIRST PERSON into Magic Kingdom? I was that day. For the few steps before I stopped to rent a stroller, I was leading the pack. It was a neat experience. So I got the stroller and we walked at a leisurely pace to the rope drop of Tomorrow land. We were, in fact, the first family on the Astro Orbiter and they let us ride it twice. Since we had gotten fast passes for SM and BL, we were trying to accomplish some of the rides that didn’t have fast passes or that we wouldn’t waste fast passes on.

It is here that I must share a little more about my husband. He really is very Type-A, organized, and anal-retentive, like I said on Day 1. But he also is very fun. His sense of humor was one of the things that attracted me to him the most. He makes me laugh. And he loves me and our children. He will do anything for us and spending time with us at Disney is one of his favorite things to do, too. He may not DIS, but he would ask me everyday as we caught up after the kids were in bed, “What’s happening on the DIS?” So he loved that his mostly laid back, fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants wife, was planning, and doing a very fine job of it, as well.

So DH was very happy sprinting all over the park whenever our time for new fast passes came up. He made sure we always had “fast passes working for us” and our Magic Kingdom morning was, in fact, very magical. And exceeded my expectations – which like I said before, were very high. By lunch we had ridden the Astro Orbiters twice, the cars, Winnie the Pooh, Goofy’s Barnstormer twice, Space Mountain twice and Buzz Lightyear – also twice. I had made an ADR at The Plaza restaurant and we arrived a couple of minutes late, were seated immediately, and enjoyed shakes, burgers and fries for lunch. If you’ve never stopped off at the Plaza before, I highly recommend it. It’s not that the food is particularly stellar (except the milkshakes), but it is a quaint little restaurant that provides a nice rest in the AC after a busy park morning.

After lunch we were feeling quite proud of our success at Magic Kingdom, despite the constantly increasing Spring Break crowds. And we contemplated deferring from the plan because things were going so well. You know, pushing our luck – keeping the kids out all day instead of letting them swim and have a rest. But we quickly realized that move would prove to be a huge tactical mistake on our part and we stuck to the original plan. We hopped the bus back to YC, happy, full and tired. And sure we could go into business as Disney Vacation Planners.

Next Up…The Rest of our Magical Magic Kingdom Day – Will things so South?

What I learned from the DIS:

1.That Goofy rides the Barnstormer at the opening of Toontown. So little man – a huge Goofy fan – got to sit on the same train as Goofy. And was very happy about it.

2.That The Plaza is a great place for a quick table service meal in the Magic Kingdom. It is very reasonably priced – by Disney standards – and is cool and calm when things outside are not.

3.That it is possible to enjoy Magic Kingdom during the busy season.

4.That going back to the resort for swims and rest will change the entire mood of your vacation – for the better. We’ve always been commandos and have never tried it this way.

5.That bus service between YC and MK is very efficient and shouldn’t be a deterrent in deciding where to stay.

Great as usual. I love your tips at the bottom. I was wondering how Rev. MarkyMark got that picture of his son with Goofy, now I know. I'm actually Learning stuff on this report, LOVE THAT!! :cool1:

I totally agree about taking a break each day -- it makes it so much easier to enjoy your trip.

It really confused us that people would come to such an expensive place with no plan. I am quite certain that many of them never return, because all they got to do was 3 rides. It constantly amazed me that people didn't know about fast passes, at a minimum it is on the map that they give you as you walk into the park.

I also agree with you about what people let their daughters wear. It makes me ill.

My husband had the same note book as you -- did you use dividers to seperate the parks/days? We used tourguide mike and the unofficial website and had a very easy trip at a very busy time (We just got back on Friday.)

We were at the MK that Tuesday, too! I am going to post my installment of that day this afternoon on my TR. I wonder if we all saw each other on Buzz or Space Mountain. At the very least, the fastpass volunteers (we used TGM also) must have run by each other :lmao:

Great Trip Report!!!

I also did the TGM thing for a trip at the end of March. After all of the ribbing I took from my sister about the book, she started referring to it as the bible after our first day at the MK where we rode Space Mountain, Buzz, Pooh, Snow White and BTMR (twice) all by 11:30 and had fast passes lined up to ride Space Mountain, Buzz and BTMR again! Then we too, went back to the hotel for a break.

Glad you had such a great time.

Did you ever stop to wonder...how does a person get CRT for breakfast without DISing??? Are their DISers who are those rude type of people? :scared1: Seriously, even the most knowledgable DISer sometimes cannot get CRT...so how to "others" do it? ;)

Another thing..I always hear how people get to MK early and wait at the entrance to TL, or FL or AL for the rope drop...but everytime I'm there the rope drop is at the train station and everyone is squeezed in the space between the train station and the turnstyles...am I missing something?

So where were we? Oh yeah, heading back to the YC for a swim after our most magical conquering of Magic Kingdom this morning.

Back in the room, we slather the sunscreen, get the sand toys and trek down to the pool. The ritual of receiving the arm band upon entry to Stormalong is huge entertainment for the kiddos – entertainment that might be deemed free, but since nothing at Disney is REALLY free, this can’t be seen as such either.

We look around and notice aloud the crowds that have gathered at the pool today. It is the first really warm day this week, and clearly these folks – like us – have been chomping at the bit to actually sit in the sun instead of the hot tub. Creatures of habit that we are, we head toward the same group of chairs we have been camping on all week. As I take the beach bag off my shoulder and prepare to put it on what is an OBVIOUSLY empty chair, with no towel, bag or pair of flip flops on it, this guy says – “We’re using this chair.” No you aren’t. You are one of those people that puts five towels across five chairs first thing in the morning, never use them – the chairs or the towels, and then at the end of the day, leave the towels there for someone else to pick up. But because I am not the kinda gal that would face off with someone, we move on, find ONE chair for our family of FOUR, park the stuff and hop in the pool. My kids are both good swimmers, and this is the first family vacation that my husband and I have really been able to play with them instead of just making sure they don’t drown. It is very freeing.

After a nap for the kids and a Beaches n’Cream on the balcony for the adults (with construction noise in the background), we are all refreshed and ready to return to the Magic Kingdom. A quick check of the Times Guide shows that Spectromagic is at 8:00 and Wishes is at 9:00. Interesting – the park closes at 10:00, but Wishes is at 9:00. Well, maybe we’ll get in some non-crowded ride time right before we leave. The plan is to ride a few rides, park the stroller in Frontierland about 7:30, eat on the curb, and wait for Spectro and Wishes – my two favorite spectacles of Disney entertainment. I actually teared up listening to the Spectro soundtrack on Live365 the week before our trip. It makes me that happy. And since we missed it on our first night at MK, I am particularly excited to see it tonight.

Things go as planned, and the spot TGM has declared as a great one to view Spectro, is empty at 7:30. SCORE!! TGM is the man!! We are fired up! I have red-necked out this day and have a “picnic” of PBJ’s and Cheetos packed for the kids. So we park the stroller, feed the kids, and wonder why no one else is gathering around by 7:45. I reason to my honey, in my best know-it-all DISer tone, that because the parade starts at the front of the park, it will be at least 8:15 to 8:20 before it gets to where we are. Folks must know that and wait a little later to line up. Since there is no “faux picnic” fixed for me and DH, I offer to go pick up some quick counter service since we have a little time.

It is here that I should make my shameless plug for Nextel Direct Connect phones. I have no idea what we would have done that week without them. I even went so far as to attach my phone to my belt with the little clip that comes with it. No offense to any of you ladies who wear your cell phones on your belt, but that has just never been my scene. I don’t really like the way it looks, and I seem to get my calls just fine with the phone staying in my purse. Also, because DH got a two-for-one deal, not because I am so important that I need one, I have a Blackberry. They look to me like a small adding machine, and look even more ridiculous than a cell phone would look clipped onto my belt. Fashion rant over. Anyway, back to the shameless plug for the Nextel Direct Connect service. In case my digression caused you to forget what was going on in the World, I am leaving our staked parade position in Frontierland to look for some grub. We are wondering why no one else is at said staked parade position when the parade starts in 15 minutes.

(Cue obnoxious little beep that alerts you someone is trying to reach you by Nextel Direct Connect – no minutes involved – totally free of charge)

“Yo. Are you there?” I hear my husband calling me. We are so romantic. Which one of us started using the phrase “yo” on our phones, I’m not sure. But we always use it when we use the Direct Connect feature.

“Yeah, I’m here. I’m in Peco’s Bill’s about to order. Let me beep you right back.”

Order food – pay for food – get food. Beep DH back.

Me: “Yo. What’s up?”

DH: “Spectromagic doesn’t start until 9:00.”

Me: “That’s not right. It says right here in the Times Guide - 8:00. Wishes is at 9:00.”

DH: “Nope. Remember the little kid who gave you the Times Guide at the turnstiles this morning? (This sweet – or so I thought – little guy had given me his Times Guide this morning when I asked the CM for one.) Well, it was from last week. We’ve got over an hour until the parade.”

LIVID!!! How could I have made such a rookie mistake? How could my husband have more up-to-date info than I? I had checked my TGM schedule during our rest time. I even wondered to myself why the discrepancy between the Times Guide and the TGM info - how he could have missed such a major detail. I also wondered why Wishes was at 9:00 when I knew the park closed at 10:00. There’s a perfect explanation. Wishes ISN’T at 9:00.

I get back with the food and have a picnic by myself while DH takes our bored kids to ride the Haunted Mansion and It’s a Small World. They get back just in time for the parade. Meanwhile, I have listened to the seemingly loneliest guy of all time tell me his life story. Why could he not tell these things to his wife and son that were sitting right beside him? Oh I get it – he thought I was the lonely one. That’s what you get for looking at the wrong Times Guide.

However, Spectro is worth the wait, as usual, and Wishes does not disappoint. I love this park. I love my sweet little family – my precious husband and children. God has been too, too good. We exit the park, walk up to a waiting YC bus, and end a fabulous day with smiles all around.

Next Up: How to get a good night’s sleep, leave your resort feeling spry, and arrive at MGM exhausted

What I Learned from the DIS:

1.That there is no alcohol sold in the Magic Kingdom. It makes perfect sense, actually. If everyone is a kid, how can anyone be of legal drinking age? No offense to the drinkers, I just never knew that MK was “dry” and I think that’s a neat thing.
2.That to prohibit the inevitable pool hoppers – who would even consider such a thing? – you will be asked to show your resort key card and be given an armband upon entry to Stormalong Bay.
3.That Peco’s Bill’s has the best hamburger topping bar in all of the World.
4. That there is a website called Live365 that plays music from the Disney parks.

What I DIDN’T learn from the DIS:

1.To check my Times Guide and make sure it was for the week we were actually there.

Nicole, Another great chapter here! By the way, The CookMaster and Cledus are big Nextel fans:)!

TGM would forgive you. It's a vacation, right?

Thanks for your story.
Jamal

MommyPoppins said:
Did you ever stop to wonder...how does a person get CRT for breakfast without DISing??? Are their DISers who are those rude type of people? :scared1: Seriously, even the most knowledgable DISer sometimes cannot get CRT...so how to "others" do it? ;)

Another thing..I always hear how people get to MK early and wait at the entrance to TL, or FL or AL for the rope drop...but everytime I'm there the rope drop is at the train station and everyone is squeezed in the space between the train station and the turnstyles...am I missing something?

We did still get squeezed between the station and the turnstiles - but I was the FIRST person through the turnstiles, and then the first person in through the train station! Like I said, it was just a few steps, but a neat few steps nonetheless!! :)

ZZUB said:
You've just summed up my thoughts on Le Cellier. If this were a discussion thread, that might start an uproar.

I'm right with you on the less than proper clothing for girls these days. We're not raising our daughter to be one of the hooches who chases down your son. By the way, I feel the same way about my daughter's future suitors. Scum. All of them.

Finally, the feeling you had when you realized you only had six more days to go, that's anticipatory Disneyfreude. It really only effects the most well informed, Dismembers of any traveling party. The rest of the family is just along for the ride; they have no idea how much time you've spent planning. I've found the best way to combat anticipatory Disneyfreude is to focus on all of the hypercool things still do to. And to secretly be planning your Next Disney Vacation in your head.

I love that phrase! Anticipatory Disneyfreude. Is there medication for it?

By the way, your little sweetie sounds like she is gonna be raised right. And we're doin our best to make sure our little man learns how to treat his future bride. So maybe if we're still DISin' when your daughter and my son reach 35 and are allowed to date, we can arrange a Legacy Dismeet.

Great report, so much good information. Am I the only newbie that gets distracted by all the DIS acronyms? I'll know I've finally "made it" when I don't have to bring up a separate window with the DIS list.

Thanks so much for spending so much time on your report!

littleteapot said:
Great report, so much good information. Am I the only newbie that gets distracted by all the DIS acronyms? I'll know I've finally "made it" when I don't have to bring up a separate window with the DIS list.

Thanks so much for spending so much time on your report!

It won't take long lil'teapot, you'll get the hang of it . The odd thing is, when you speak DIS talk in real life... now that's weird :rotfl:

NicoleMarie....

Love that last installment. Sorry you had to wait an extra hour for Spectro... AND what was the matter with that CM, giving you an old times guide!! He should have to ride IASW at least 10 times in a row as punishment . I always feel the same way at the end of Wishes...I love my husband, my girls, my life and God has been very good to me. It makes me teary thinking about it.

I'm off to look up Live365. Thanks for the tip.

littleteapot CM - Cast Member
IASW - It's a Small World
(I thought I'd save you having to pop open the other window) :sunny:

We need more tips. Where are you? Let's give you one of those shameless bumps. :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter