What home resort(s) do you own and why?

Curious about other people's thought processes. Why did you buy where you did? Are you all in at one resort, or split over a few? Would you do it the same way again?

We bought at OKW and SSR at the same time about 2 years ago. We fell in love with OKW the moment we laid eyes on it. It remains our favorite resort to this day and we stay there more than anywhere else. We love the resort feel over the hotel feel of other resorts. It's also a very easy place to do a no-park trip! We bought SSR because we wanted more points and an alternative to OKW for an occasional stay. Both contracts were loaded so yes, I would buy that way again and am planning to do so as I type this.

We decided to sell SSR only because it's right next to OKW. We decided to buy at BWV to have a different locale for once a year. That was the first place my husband and I stayed together and it holds memories. We also love the quick walk to EPCOT, the lounge and the boardwalk itself.

SSR.....because I'm cheap! No matter how I sliced it SSR always won once I started breaking down cost of points, dues, years left. We don't typically travel during peak times so I wasn't overly concerned with 11 month windows. Have yet to stay there....maybe once I try out all the other resorts.

Animal Kingdom for us.
The extended use year will allow us to give it to our son to enjoy.
The price point that we bought it at during resale was attractive.
It is our favorite resort. Being away from the hustle and bustle of Disney has it's advantages too, yet it's only a 20 minute bus ride to the furthest park. The animals make it a different stay every time.

SSR for us. We don't mind where we stay at this point so it was the best option based on price/dues/length of contract. We also typically travel outside of the late sept-begining of january time frame and have had no issues getting the resort we wanted.

SSR-When we take adult children and grandchildren-2 great pools. This was also our 1st purchase and add-on so we have the most points at SSR.
BWV-When my wife and I want to slip away for F&W by ourselves.
BLT-Close proximity to MK, especially during MNSSHP & MVMCP.

AKV - got a great price during the economic downturn, longer ownership period, great resort theming, great resort dining. We always either rent a car or drive to Florida, so location farther away from things was not an issue for us.

BWV - We love the location (walk to EP and HS). Love the feel of the area. We bought thinking we would always stay in a Studio. Then we stayed in a 1BR and I now prefer that over the studio. So, the only thing I would change is that I would've bought more points. :)

BWV- we used to stay with my Grandma in Atlantic City when I was a kid, and I totally channel that experience when I'm there. Love all things about it.
VWL- 50 points to bank and borrow for occasional Christmas visits.
VGF- 25 direct points cause the price difference was negligible between resale and direct, and I love VGF.

poly - it's our favorite. love the location, love the theming, love the rooms. we bought this one for long weekends without the kids. =)

SSR - wanted some cheap points so that we could book a short DVC stay at the end of our longer trips w/ the kids. we like to stay moderate and park commando, and then close the trip w/ a couple of chill days at a deluxe.

We purchased VGC first because that is where we use the points the most. We added SSR because cost per point is low while still having a fairly low annual fee. (All points purchased resale.) In the end we may have purchased a few too many points because of the value we got on the SSR points but for now we are either giving to friends or renting the extra points and we have options. And this way I keep myself from looking through pages of DVC resales for a "deal".

OKW in 1994 after visiting in 1992 when there were just a few buildings along Miller's Road and Hospitality House area. Fell in love with everything and of course the free park tickets for almost 6 years did not hurt. It was a major expense to take on but has been a joy to be members.

Added on at BCV and have just added on at OKW. Our BCV contract was mainly for just DW and I to enjoy Food & Wine but we have been sidetracked the last couple of years. Just booked a GV at SSR (very last minute) for a few days after Thanksgiving to bring our very elderly parents together for a visit.

We have booked all over the place and at most WDW resorts. Love AKV (Sanaa is a favorite spot), VB and HHI (we go there yearly and were evacuated this week because of the hurricane). Heading to Aulani in March '17 for a week along with a stay at a Hilton resort (on the cheap). We want to try BLT for just DW and myself as a change but always end up at OKW for the serenity.

It really does not matter where you own as every resort has something that appeals to each family in the right way. We want to try them all over and over.

-AKV for the Club level access, the value rooms, and the overall theming, plus we got it cheap and triple loaded
-BWV for the two park proximity, the Standard rooms, and we got a good deal on a triple loaded contract
-OKW for renting out to cover other MFs, got it cheap and triple loaded (yes, there is a pattern here, lol)
-VWL for Christmastime 11-month advantage
-PVB because I never want to go through what we went through trying to book for early December at 7 month window again, and got a good real on resale
-SSR for renting out to cover other MFs, and we got a good deal on a loaded contract
-VGF because...well, we adore VGF. Does VGF need an explanation? Also, we got a good deal on a fixed week here.
-BLT for walking ability to MK, and overall a good value, but we only stay here when we are planning on spending a lot of time at MK in the cooler months. For resort- oriented vacations, this is not our pick.

We take "buy where you want to stay" completely to heart! I don't like the feeling of wanting to book a vacation and not knowing whether I can get our first pick, which wouldn't happen in a non-timeshare scenario (I.e., it would be highly unlikely that the hotel/resort of choice for a tropical or European getaway sells out 11 months in advance- chances are good they will have a room for you if you want it).

Our first purchase was based on price, our second want and our last because we could no longer find availability at the 7-month window. We own 315 points, spend 90% of the time in studios and we're always in borrow mode because we vacation 3 times annually, a week at a time and we share with our family - which is what usually forces us into borrowing to get 'our' time and why we haven't experienced a 1br for just us.
:charac2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter