What have your experiences been with Mears going to Universal from Disney?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
We are planning on booking Mears to take us to and from Universal from our Disney Resort (POFQ). Any good experiences? Bad experiences? Any tips?

I'm interested in this info as well. Plus the direct number you call. All I can find are instructions to call Mears to arrange your pick up once you get there, that you can't do it in advance. This makes me nervous. Has anyone ever had them tell you they are full and don't have room for you?

Does anyone have the direct number?

Sorry, not meaning to steal your thread, but didn't see the point in starting a new one, when we are looking for the same info.

I'm interested in this info as well. Plus the direct number you call. All I can find are instructions to call Mears to arrange your pick up once you get there, that you can't do it in advance. This makes me nervous. Has anyone ever had them tell you they are full and don't have room for you?

Does anyone have the direct number?

Sorry, not meaning to steal your thread, but didn't see the point in starting a new one, when we are looking for the same info.

Please. Steal away. You have great questions that I would like the answers to as well :wave2:

hey first time poster here :)

Me and my fiance just came back from our WDW vacation and we used Mears and had no problem, we used them back in May as well.

You have to call Mears at least 24 hours in advance in order to schedule your pick up from your WDW resort and return. They pick up you up 25 min. after the hour between 7-10:25, so it would be 7:25, 8:25, 9:25, 10:25. number is 407-423-5566. you can either schedule your return from universal to your resort in advance or call them 2 hours prior to when you want to leave, they pick up 15 after each hour starting at 3:15pm to around 2:15am.

They will give you a voucher when they drop you off for your return. The cost is $20 per person, round trip.

Hope that helps

I also like to call them 10-15 minutes prior to pick up (give them your confirmation number) to see the number of the shuttle they are picking you up in. Leave at least 30-45 minutes to get to the park because they will pick up others at other resorts or drop people off at seaworld, discovery cove, etc.

Based on PPs, it sounds like a cab is cheaper and faster than Mears would be.

We took a cab to Universal a few weeks ago from CBR. CBR had cabs in waiting so were able to get one at our leisure - no scheduled time. No other stops. Including tip, it was $30 for the two of us and we were there within 15minutes.

We stayed at Caribbean Beach in Nov 2013 and used Mears for a day trip to Universal. We missed our shuttle in the morning due to being at the wrong pick-up location. This was due to us being supplied with some bad information by Disney. When we realized we had missed the shuttle, we called Mears and explained what had happened. Even though it wasn't their fault, they sent over a taxi to take us directly to Universal. I thought that was excellent customer service.

In the evening, we did use the shuttle to get back to WDW. We made a stop at Sea World to pick up 2 people, which was slightly inconvenient but not horrible. There were people staying in at least 6-7 different WDW resorts on our bus. I think we were the first or second resort to be dropped off. If we had been one of the last, I could see the experience being a little bit too time consuming. Overall though, it worked out well for us.

Based on PPs, it sounds like a cab is cheaper and faster than Mears would be.

We took a cab to Universal a few weeks ago from CBR. CBR had cabs in waiting so were able to get one at our leisure - no scheduled time. No other stops. Including tip, it was $30 for the two of us and we were there within 15minutes.

Do the cabs charge per person? We are two adults and one 9 year old. Also we will be at POFQ. Do they have cabs there?

Do the cabs charge per person? We are two adults and one 9 year old. Also we will be at POFQ. Do they have cabs there?

You will find cabs waiting at most of the resorts, especially around the time Universal opens. If one isn't there waiting just ask the bellman and they can call one and it will be a reaaaaaal short wait. There is no charge for additional people, if you have special requests (i.e. car seats, luggage, etc.) then they can charge, but not just three people going from Disney to Universal.

We found it cheaper to go by cab to Universal vs. going via Mears transport since there were 4 of us. $40 each way vs. $49 per person roundtrip. One thing to be cautious about is that a standard taxi charges for time waiting in traffic, so doing things like driving back to Downtown Disney on a Friday or Saturday can cost you if they have to wait in a lot of traffic.

Of course Mears gets your money no matter what since they have the taxi contract at Disney and Universal. The only way they don't get the money is if you specifically call a cab company to pick you up or you happen to see a cab from another company dropping people off.

I've heard they take cash only. Is this true?

When do you pay? Is it $10 each way or do you pay $20 upfront the first time?

I've heard they take cash only. Is this true?

When do you pay? Is it $10 each way or do you pay $20 upfront the first time?

Currently the cabs and the shuttles are cash only. For the shuttle you can purchase a voucher using a credit card at the airport.

Not sure where you got your figures.

The shuttles are $49 roundtrip/adult, a little less per kid. You pay up front and get a voucher for return trip.

The taxis to Universal are around $40 each way. You pay upon arrival whatever the amount is on the meter. The amount will vary depending on distance traveled and any time waiting in traffic.

Currently the cabs and the shuttles are cash only. For the shuttle you can purchase a voucher using a credit card at the airport.

Not sure where you got your figures.

The shuttles are $49 roundtrip/adult, a little less per kid. You pay up front and get a voucher for return trip.

The taxis to Universal are around $40 each way. You pay upon arrival whatever the amount is on the meter. The amount will vary depending on distance traveled and any time waiting in traffic.

Are you sure you are talking about the Mears shuttles from Disney to Universal? Everything I have read has stated $20 per person round trip.

Even in this is own thread that was the price given:

hey first time poster here :)

The cost is $20 per person, round trip.

Hope that helps

$50 round trip per person sounds high.

You might want to check into a car service. They charge per trip, not per person. There are many available in Orlando. We just took one from the airport to Cabana Bay Beach and back to the airport. It was great being the only passengers.

We always do the mears transportation and park ticket package and love it. We just did it last week and had a great shuttle driver that really hyped us up to see Diagon Alley:) I think it's a good deal if you aren't using other park ticket discounts.

I will need transportation for 2 from MCO to cabana bay at universal (staying 2 nights), then transportation from cabana bay to Poly at Disney. Should I use taxis for each trip,or arrange mears for each time? I need only 1 way for each, so not sure if just getting taxis would be better.. Opinions needed! Thanks.

I will need transportation for 2 from MCO to cabana bay at universal (staying 2 nights), then transportation from cabana bay to Poly at Disney. Should I use taxis for each trip,or arrange mears for each time? I need only 1 way for each, so not sure if just getting taxis would be better.. Opinions needed! Thanks.
Bump

i use private car service from MCO to the resorts.
about $100 for a 2 leg service.

it's fast and convenient for me.

taxis can be used also.

the star shuttle system from MCO to the darkside resorts does make stops at other hotels at times.
i haven't used it but have read threads on those that did.

i have never used Mears from the airport to the darkside though.
not familiar with that price.

Star shuttle..... are they reliable? the rates look excellent....and it's not a van, it's a car,so it would just be the 3 of us coming/going? I am still deciding between renting a car to drive there,dreams unlimited, or star shuttle,or taxi.....:confused3

So I wanted to claify. Because this thread has gotten a little off track. The OP and myself were originally asking about Mears transfers between Universal and Disney, not from the airport.

Shared transport from the airport ranges from around $20 to $50 per person round trip depending which zone your hotel is in.

The rate between Disney and Universal is no where near as high at $20 per person Roundtrip according to the Mears 2014 rates. No word if it will go up in 2015. I was unable to find a listing for those prices.

http://www.mearstransportation.com/pdf/Rates.pdf

As far as the combo ride/park tickets, some people have been mentioning, I'd check the math carefully. When I added up the price of purchasing park tickets from UT and then paying the $20 out of pocket seperately for the ride, it was much cheaper than buying the combo ticket. Where they get you is the tax and processing fees they add to that combo ticket, so make sure you actually put the tickets in your cart and go through the whole check out / shipping process before comparing the prices.

Now my original questions about the Mears transfer were:

1. Do you pay $10 each way or $20 up front?
2. I have heard it is cash only. Is this correct?
3. And has anyone had any issues with calling and Mears not having room on the shuttle to fit you?

Thanks

So I wanted to claify. Because this thread has gotten a little off track. The OP and myself were originally asking about Mears transfers between Universal and Disney, not from the airport.

Shared transport from the airport ranges from around $20 to $50 per person round trip depending which zone your hotel is in.

The rate between Disney and Universal is no where near as high at $20 per person Roundtrip according to the Mears 2014 rates. No word if it will go up in 2015. I was unable to find a listing for those prices.

http://www.mearstransportation.com/pdf/Rates.pdf

As far as the combo ride/park tickets, some people have been mentioning, I'd check the math carefully. When I added up the price of purchasing park tickets from UT and then paying the $20 out of pocket seperately for the ride, it was much cheaper than buying the combo ticket. Where they get you is the tax and processing fees they add to that combo ticket, so make sure you actually put the tickets in your cart and go through the whole check out / shipping process before comparing the prices.

Now my original questions about the Mears transfer were:

1. Do you pay $10 each way or $20 up front?
2. I have heard it is cash only. Is this correct?
3. And has anyone had any issues with calling and Mears not having room on the shuttle to fit you?

Thanks
many piggy back on original questions all the times.
just how it has been happening over the years.

for your questions:
$20 prepaid, cash, per person.

i did check with the shuttle on one of my motherland stays to go to the darkside so i could meet up with friends.
only wanted a roundtrip so i could spend a few hours with them but return to the motherland resort in the evening.

did this in october but ended up just getting basic info and not using it.
i was transferring to the darkside at the end of my motherland stay and friends changed their plans to meet me then.

i was told i could book the mears shuttle from wdw resort to UO park by calling or going to the wdw concierge desk in the lobby the night before.
would select a time period for my check up for the next day.

for the return back to the motherland resort, you call the number mears gives you for your return trip time.

some have posted in other threads that they had to make that call xx minutes before they wanted the return pick up.
have read no complaints they had any major issues with the return set up.

suggest you call mears in advance so you will have the current information from them before you start your trip.
maybe it is possible to pay for the shuttle with a credit card if you book before you even arrive to the motherland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter