What have you sacrificed to get back to FW?

Are you sure you've thought this through?... I totally understand FW as the destination all vacation plans revolve around, but I don't know how much Florida camping I'd plan in a pop-up without air conditioning... I guess it's for other pop-up campers to comment, but if you currently use a motorhome, I imagine you've taken the amenities for granted.

I'm not sure when the OP is visiting Florida..but I don't recall their mentioning that the pop up didn't have AC?...Many pop ups offer AC.

Living in Florida myself, mine certainly has AC. Pretty much #1 priority on the list as we searched for a PUP. When we first started looking for a camper we weren't really sure which direction to go in. All the types have their good points and drawbacks. We settled on a PUP because of low towage costs, ease of storage (a driveway and good cover), and last but not least cost for the unit itself. Without a lot of effort you can find a good used Pop-Up with varying amenities from about $2,500 to $6,000. Mine cost me $3,200 and it has AC, a shower, inside/outside stove, awning, holding tank, water heater, and sleeps 6 quite easily.

It all depends on how much time you actually spend inside I guess. We figured most of the time we'll be off doing something, or sitting outside anyway. Kind of why we go camping in the first place. ;)

I sure did see some nice Class A's, C's, and TT's in our search though....maybe in a couple years. May really be able to get a good deal on one then, though who knows.....with gas prices...may only be able afford to 'camp' in the driveway then anyway. :eek:

I usually stay in the cabins. We don't even know if we can go this year. My vacation fund is going to gas and groceries now. DH and I are trying to figure out how to stash $200 a month again. We might not go out to eat as much and buy are food from Walmart (not krogers). I just don't think that will be enough.

Just reporting in to tell you that Craigs List is a little overwhelming, lots of responses! I do have it priced VERY cheap (don't want to break any DISboard rules, let's just say that it's half what we paid for it eight years ago:mad: ). And, yes, we'll only buy a PUP with a.c., because I'm a spoiled girl! I keep telling people coming to see it that it's not perfect, but it's cheap, so hopefully they'll be realistic in their expectations...

Terri
Who'll hopefully be PUP shopping soon!

In Michigan, there are many RV's and boats for sale. The high cost of gas has made it impossible for some people to enjoy a weekend away camping or boating. I've also noticed that a number of campgrounds are offering "package" type deals where you can stay for a couple of weekends but the campground will store your RV for you through the week in between for free so that you don't have to haul it back home. It sounds like some of the campgrounds may be having a pretty tough go of it this year and are coming up with some creative options to try to get people to come out.

Ive noticed the great deals here (in Louisiana) as well, plenty to choose from and priced VERY reasonably. I can finally afford to buy something nice enough with the price drops...but Im not sure I'll be able to afford to tow it anywhere!!!!

...And, yes, we'll only buy a PUP with a.c., because I'm a spoiled girl!...

Terri
Who'll hopefully be PUP shopping soon!

I just wanted to mention that adding AC to a pup is not a big deal. Ours didn't have AC when we bought it in Northern California (we didn't need it there; we didn't even know people *put* air conditioners on popups!), but when we moved to Texas, my dh really wanted it! Each of the RV places we talked to said they could install it, and I *think* they told us that the factory doesn't install them anyways, it's actually the dealer that puts it on before customer delivery. (Note...we had a bad experience with Big Corporate Camping World...the local mom-and-pop trailer dealer that's been in business as long as I've been alive has been much better to work with.)

So if you buy a used pup with no AC, you can have one installed, and then you have a new (vs. used) AC unit, on a used (vs. new) pup. I wouldn't avoid a trailer with a floorplan that I liked because it doesn't have AC...that's fixable!

My other popup buying tip...the one option I wish I would have gotten that I didn't is...a slide out! It gets a bit too cozy in there with 5 of us, and often two dogs, too.

Good luck with your RV sale...hope it goes as painlessly as possible, so your pup shopping can begin! :goodvibes

Sue in Texas
...who loves camping in my popup, it feels like I'm playing house!

Due to gas prices we put off all our camping trips and extended our disney trip we usually do 10 days we upped it to 15 the cost per day isn't much and since we have Ap's already from last Nov we figured we would just use the time we would have used on other trips in disney instead i get lots of time and saved a few days from last year that i have to use so we decided to take advantage of our disney passes and since we are already spending the money to get there why not stay longer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter