• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What has your experience been like at Artist Point?

DaisyLynn

DIS Veteran
Me (27) and my DBF (36) will be dining at Artist Point on Apr 17, the night before we leave to go home. Though we'll be down there for 10 days total, this is the only finer dining ADR that I have made. I know us very well, and we just wouldn't stop to have a nice dinner each night...but I wanted to make sure we had atleast one nice meal.

Now, when we go to dinner, we tend to...take our time. I like to have a glass of wine, then meal, then another glass of wine, then dessert...and maybe another glass of wine (or two)! Have you ever felt rushed at Artist Point, or any signature restaurant for that matter? If a place is busy, I feel bad if I don't eat and get out of there so that others may come in and dine...but at the same time, this is going to be the only one for us and I don't want to feel bad for enjoying our last evening at WDW together in this way.

Anyone care to share thoughts or experiences?

Artist Point was very relaxed!!! There was plenty of time between the appetizers,main course, and dessert, so you will definitely be able to take your time. Oh, and definitely try the Smoky Portobello Soup with roasted Shiitakes and Chive Oil!! It is out of this world.

You will not be disappointed with Artist's Point. A very elegant, relaxed dining experience in an atmosphere in tune with the original National Parks Lodges and Mission style furnishings. It feels like your dining with the likes of Ansel Adams, John Muir, or Frank Lloyd Wright.

We dined there twice on our recent December 2007 trip. Both times our dinner took a relaxed pace of 2-2.5 hours with drinks, appitizers, and desert. The food and service is excellent. I would rate this in the top 4 restaurants at WDW (Victorias and Alberts, California Grill and Citricos being the other 3). The wait staff seems more mature, experienced and knowledgeable. One thing we appreciated was the seating was not cramped like so many other Disney venues. The tables were spread out with lots of room between. Noise level was very low. All in all, perfect for a quiet, romantic dinner. Have fun....
:yay: :yay: :yay:

You will enjoy Artist Point. Probably very much :)
Relax. Take pleasure in your food. Don't rush - the staff won't make you.

You mention wine. Artist Point has a wine flight option. Your server can make recommendations (the menu already does) or you can choose your wines yourself.

It's the best meal I've had at Disneyworld in the last several years. I have gotta go back there.

You picked a great place for a last night signature dinner. It is a great place to relaxe, wonderful ambience and a great mural with hidden mickeys.:lovestruc

Engage your server, their wine choices are varied and they can make some wonderful suggestions.

One thought, for your last night, do you think you may want to go and see some of the things you missed or want to see one more time? Just a thought, maybe set a day mid-week to relax and catch your breath.

Have a great time!

We ate at Artist Point during our Dec. 07 trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Izzi was our waiter and he was fantastic. I looked at a wine flight, but he suggested a Reisling wine which was wonderful. I was only having one glass that night and it was a perfect choice. DH had the buffalo steak and I had the salmon. Both were very good. We both had the apple tart for dessert. For appetizers, we had venison spring rolls and the cheese and fruit plate. The spring rolls were fantastic. The cheese and fruit were very nice with the wine. Our dinner took about 2 hours. We never felt rushed at any of our meals. We were on the DDP and recently, some on the plan had reported that they felt rushed and had to order everything at once. We did not run into this once and were there at a very busy time. We'll return to Artist Point on another trip and try other items on the menu. We'll also ask for Izzi again.

Excellent place for dinner. My wife loves it as they don't rush you and spread the courses out. I thought the Buffalo steak was great as was the smokey portebello mushroom soup. Try to get a seat where you are looking out the windows.

As others have said, you picked a wonderful signature restaurant for your special dinner on your last night. We have always had excellent food and service there. We have generally found it to be the least rushed and quietest of the signatures likely because we usually dine there later in the evening. Enjoy!!

We loved Artist Point! I had the pork chop and it was the best pork chop I have ever eaten! My dh had the buffalo steak and enjoyed his very much. You have made a wonderful choice. Have a great time.:thumbsup2

DH and I are putting the kids in the cubs den and having a nice dinner here later this month. I've heard such great things about it that I can't WAIT! Having said that, the dining review on the podcast awhile back said it was ~good~ but overpriced- specifically mentioning the cheese plate.

It's good to know about the timing so we can plan ahead for a longer meal.

Count us as another vote for AP. Its on the top of our list of nice places to eat. As others have said, the atmosphere is relaxed and service is excellent. We have a favorite server there, a Korean woman named Pok, who we always ask for when we go. But we've had good service from the other servers as well. We're going back in just a few weeks and I can hardly wait!

I debated whether I should post or not, since you asked about the food (Fantastic! Flavorful, but never overwheming !) and the service (Never rushed by our server; could have taken as much time as we wanted/needed). However, we did have a bit of an issue. My step-son ordered a beer, and he was asked for ID. Not a problem, he's 24, this is a normal occurence, and had happened all week long--he already had his wallet out. My step-son was, at that time, on leave from the Navy--we were just very thankful that he was able to come with us on this trip, as on our previous trip he was somewhere in the Persian Gulf--we didn't know where. He handed our server his military ID; her response, "Oh. Navy--I don't like Navy guys." We all sat there looking at her blankly--HUH? She then went into a long dissertion regarding the first opera she had ever seen--Madame Butterfly--and how the plot line had put her off the US Navy ever since! My DSS, who was feeling kind of off already cuz of the anti-war sentiment he was sensing in the civilian world, really had no idea how to respond. When she left, we assured him that this was NOT how the average person would respond to his military service. (As a matter of fact, he received a discount at Raglan Road earlier in the week.) When she returned with our drinks, she said to him, "Isn't the US Navy the most powerful in the world? There--I paid you a compliment. You should be glad now." Good food--yes. Will we go back? No.

DH and I dined at AP in 2005 and *loved* it. We went back in 2006, and while the food was just as good, the service was poor. We figured it was a fluke, and tried again in 2007. We got the same waitress! And, again, the service was poor. We are cutting our losses and not going back during our 2008 trip.

If you would like to have a glass (or 2) of wine after dessert, you might want to head into the lounge area. They have a bar, but also have very comfortable tables with chairs. We've stayed at WL many times and I've never seen this lounge very busy. Its always very relaxing and private. This way, if AP is busy, your table can be made available to the next guest.

Loved AP - we had the wine flight with our meals - amazing!!

(sorry about the servers reaction to the Navy - that was so out of line, you should have mentioned that to the manager! I know it probably would've seemed like you were making a scene, but it left such a bad taste in your mouth, you'll never return, and that server may not be there any longer... )

We ate there in January 2006 and it was the best meal of the trip. We were kidless for the evening (we had grandparents along) and we were there about two hours and never felt rushed. The service was very good, and when we asked our wait staff about the salmon and scallops we had, they asked if we wanted the recipes. We said that would be great. Our waitress brought us the recipes and a small wrapped cedar plank to use with the salmon recipe. What really capped it for us was they had REAL COFFEE :woohoo: - you could order a press pot of french roast coffee. This was the best coffee we had on-property, without a doubt.

Thanks for all of your responses. I am very happy with my decision to dine here!

I debated whether I should post or not, since you asked about the food (Fantastic! Flavorful, but never overwheming !) and the service (Never rushed by our server; could have taken as much time as we wanted/needed). However, we did have a bit of an issue. My step-son ordered a beer, and he was asked for ID. Not a problem, he's 24, this is a normal occurence, and had happened all week long--he already had his wallet out. My step-son was, at that time, on leave from the Navy--we were just very thankful that he was able to come with us on this trip, as on our previous trip he was somewhere in the Persian Gulf--we didn't know where. He handed our server his military ID; her response, "Oh. Navy--I don't like Navy guys." We all sat there looking at her blankly--HUH? She then went into a long dissertion regarding the first opera she had ever seen--Madame Butterfly--and how the plot line had put her off the US Navy ever since! My DSS, who was feeling kind of off already cuz of the anti-war sentiment he was sensing in the civilian world, really had no idea how to respond. When she left, we assured him that this was NOT how the average person would respond to his military service. (As a matter of fact, he received a discount at Raglan Road earlier in the week.) When she returned with our drinks, she said to him, "Isn't the US Navy the most powerful in the world? There--I paid you a compliment. You should be glad now." Good food--yes. Will we go back? No.

What an odd experience. I hope that that server is no longer there.

You mention wine. Artist Point has a wine flight option. Your server can make recommendations (the menu already does) or you can choose your wines yourself.

I had read about this. I think the wine flight is a must do! :thumbsup2

What really capped it for us was they had REAL COFFEE - you could order a press pot of french roast coffee. This was the best coffee we had on-property, without a doubt.

Wow! This may be the most exciting thing ever! Real coffee, after a week of Nescafe...now THAT is a fairytale ending!

Wow! This may be the most exciting thing ever! Real coffee, after a week of Nescafe...now THAT is a fairytale ending!

Regarding coffee that was my reaction, too. Even the regular coffee at the signature restaurants like AP and FF is very good and NOT Nescafe. If it's not up to par, ask your server to replace it. The last time we dined at FF late in th evening the coffee was from the "bottom of a pot". When I commented to our server that I had been looking forward to a good cup of coffee like they usually served, he made a fresh pot for me. Life is too short (and the prices are too high there) to drink bad coffee. :surfweb: :)

I think you will really enjoy AP. My husband and I and our family had dinner there the night before our wedding. That was in 1998 and it was absolutely wonderful. Last year, we returned with our two children and had a fabulous meal there. I must suggest Coffee Two Ways for dessert, it is awesome!!! We are returning this year for our 10 yaer anniversary and we too are planning to dine at AP on our final evening as a great cap off to our vacation. Have a great trip and a great meal at AP!!

It has been a few years since DH and I have dined at Artist Point but it remains our all time favorite "adult/grown-up" meal. We have two teenaged DDs that we sent to Roaring Forks and loaded down with arcade money - and we had an adults only meal.

We were never rushed. We had exceptional service (left the largest tip we have EVER left in our lives). The food was amazing. We did the Chef selections with the wine paring and it was all sooo good. The only thing I personally didn't enjoy was the port that came with dessert. To me it tasted like bad cough syrup. DH however liked it and drank mine as well.

There wasn't anything wrong with the port - I had never had it before and just didn't care for it.

We really want to go back someday - just haven't made it there yet.

i was told to try these tricks at the restaurant at Wilderness lodge.......... and not only did they not work , but i got funny stares and was asked leave......:confused3

Wear a Hat or T-Shirt from Universal or Sea World
Ask your server where his 6-shooter is
Tell your server you spent the day at an attraction outside of WDW
Tell the server who's birthday or anniversary it is
Have your kids "egg him/her on"
Have one of the males in the group ask where the restrooms are
Challenge your server to a pistol fight and ask for a gun
Claim your straw is not long enough
Chew gum
Ask the server where you can buy some chewing gum in WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter