What has happened to our wonderful value/slow season?????

jcamacam

Mouseketeer
What the heck is going on with Disney in December this year??? I know that Pop Warner will be there the week we are (staying at CR 12/3-12/10) but what I'm finding seems to go way beyond that.

Not only are almost ALL of the resorts booked (not just values and some mods) but I have been having a heck of a time making ADR's as well (even through Concierge!).

Are the slower, manageable holidays crowds of early December a thing of the past? What would cause such a drastic difference from a year or so ago?

My parents are also in the World right now and they said they have NEVER seen crowds like this, even in the summer (I'm sure the free dining plan is contributing to this week however) and we have been going to Disney since the early 80's.

Anyone have any insight?

We are traveling with my in-laws and they are looking to me to make this trip very magical (no stress here! :rolleyes1 ). They HATE crowds so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the complaining now! How did my husband ever turn out to be so normal :) ?

The crowds this summer were the biggest I have seen in several years. It has been pretty quiet since the second week of Sept. But it seems like things are picking up and we won't have any quieter times until after the first of the year. As for why the crowds? We are getting over 9/11, gas prices too high for driving vacations, people are doing more short vacations and less long ones? Who really knows? Take your time, see the things that are most important to you and take advantage of the parks just after opening when they are less busy. Most of all HAVE FUN!! :sunny:

DH and I were there last year for a weekend in early December and were shocked at how busy things were. We thought maybe it was just a weekend thing, but who knows. We just got back (9/24-9/30) and were pleasantly surprised at how quiet things were. We walked on to nearly every attraction at any time of day during our entire trip. It was hot, but it was the quietest I've ever seen things. Maybe more and more people are on to the perks of enjoying the holiday events in early December.

I think tourism is picking up again because this past week I saw tons of foreigners. Lots of people from UK and Europe in general, lots of Japanese and Chinese and even some from South Africa.

Just because it's not vacation season here in the US, it might just be vacation season elsewhere in the world. I was talking to a family from South Africa and she said that right now is their school system's equivalent of spring break. She also stated that early December is when school ends for them.

I think more people are staying at Disney resorts and less off-site than before.

I wondered the same thing. I too have newbies coming and I've been ASSURED there will be nobody there! :guilty:

I actually think it's because Disney is becoming proportionally more affordable. Value resorts make a huge difference. I know when me and my friend went last year, it was much cheaper for us to go to Disney (including tickets and food) for a week than to go to another touristy place (Myrtle beach for example) and pay for a week of hotel, food, and things to do. So we went to Disney and it was great.

I was surprised about the number of people who were coming or there the day we were leaving (this past Saturday 10/1). The only word of advice I can give you is get to the parks early. We did and everything was very easy to see and even walk on. Another good time is the two hours before the park closes- also much more quiet- at least for our experience in the last week of September. Sometimes it seems more crowded than it is, there seems to be alot of people milling around but then the ride waits aren't long at all. We also saw a ton of foreigners, mostly from England (I love those accents!) You'll have a good time don't worry- but have some kind of tour plan or idea of what you want to see- and you'll still have a great time, even if you aren't the only one there!

We just got back last night, so we overlapped with Dorisk3. I would agree with everything she said, including the number of British accents. Friday the crowds picked up a little and on Saturday they were approaching unpleasant in Futureworld at Epcot (due to F&W, I think). Whoo, was it hot! Almost no rain the whole week, too. Love it!

NB

Just a reminder that Disney like other hotels and resorts blocks rooms for travel agencies like AAA, etc and once those rooms are blocked (which doesn't mean they are sold) they are no longer in available inventory even though they they are still available.

jcamacam said:
What the heck is going on with Disney in December this year??? I know that Pop Warner will be there the week we are (staying at CR 12/3-12/10) but what I'm finding seems to go way beyond that.

Not only are almost ALL of the resorts booked (not just values and some mods) but I have been having a heck of a time making ADR's as well (even through Concierge!).

Are the slower, manageable holidays crowds of early December a thing of the past? What would cause such a drastic difference from a year or so ago?

My parents are also in the World right now and they said they have NEVER seen crowds like this, even in the summer (I'm sure the free dining plan is contributing to this week however) and we have been going to Disney since the early 80's.

Anyone have any insight?

We are traveling with my in-laws and they are looking to me to make this trip very magical (no stress here! :rolleyes1 ). They HATE crowds so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the complaining now! How did my husband ever turn out to be so normal :) ?

What would cause such a drastic difference, the word is out about how wonderful that time of year is at Disney due to forums such as these, Guidebooks, etc.

Also it is a very popular time for Disney Vacation Club members to visit due to lower points required and the decorations.

Also many people are planning vacations during months out of Hurricane season, which I truly can not blame them for.

I've read some articles concerning the convention traffic in Orlando the past month. It seems that after Katrina hit and devistated New Orleans many conferences had to scramble and find a new convention spot. Well, Orlando has stepped up and has found space for these large conventions. Orlando has several spots where it can host medium to large sized conventions. I am sure that has added to the crowds this September, October, and November; especially right now.

I look forward to December but was really looking forward to the rating of 1 for crowd levels. Oh well. I will have fun regardless. And it wont be scorching hot. YAY

I think that Disney has done a great job of marketing. I love the great commercials. By offering things like Free dining, reduced room rates, packages etc., Disney no longer has a slow season (as in the past). I went this past September and the crowds seemed to have picked up over last year. We are going back in early December and I hope that it is slow.

I'd been planning to go this Dec. for a quick trip before my AP ran out, but the WL is booked! Looks like I might have to switch to January or something for my new trip month!

This past weekend the crowds were not too bad and last weekend they were very low. The first couple weeks of October normally start to pick up as the schools in England are on Holiday for 3 weeks.

I went during Jersey week last year (Veteran's day week) and was told everything was sold out when I tried to switch resorts. It was somewhat crowded but not too bad at all. 20 minute waits for popular attractions not 120 minute waits. I understand again Jersey week has no availability this year and the rest of November/December is at or near capacity. I am sure it will be crowded but not unmanageable. Crowded is a relative term at WDW.

Keep in mind that Disney does everything they can to sell out with promotions discounts etc. When all the offsite resorts are full, too, then I would start worrying.

Toni300z said:
I look forward to December but was really looking forward to the rating of 1 for crowd levels. Oh well. I will have fun regardless. And it wont be scorching hot. YAY
I agree. I was also looking forward to a crowd level of one, which I got in March from the Unofficial Guide, and that's why I planned this trip for early December. I looked at the Unofficial Guide updates at touringplans.com, and now the levels are 4 and 5 for the time I'll be there. I guess that's not so bad (I've been there during 8's and 9's), and I'm sure I will still have a great time. I'm going solo, and it's certainly easier to navigate through crowds alone than with the family in tow! Of course, there's something to be said for having the park almost to yourself...

Can't wait; less than 10 weeks to go!

I certainly hope Disney doesn't do away with "Value" season if tourism is picking up. Is that something they'd do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter