What Harry Potter Movies are a must before coming to Universal?

kathymc

<font color=indigo><font color=teal>Dances in the
Hate to say but I only saw the first two movies. Do I have to see #3-#7 to "get" the parks? Or could you suggest just the ones that are a must?

Thanks!

Seeing as Diagon Alley is a tiny bit of a spoiler I would say watch them all if you care. Without watching them you may not get why some of the stuff is where it is like the dragon or the joke shop.

I'd watch all the movies and read all the books, not to "get" the parks but because they're so amazing!!!
Our pre trip tradition every year is to watch all 8 of the HP movies before we leave. We watch them in July before our trip in August. Love love love them all!! And it's cool to see all the little details at the parks :)

The original area, Hogsmeade, is set up to be the timeframe of movies thru #4. At the end of #4, you-know-who is back. And Escape from Gringotts ride has some of his friends who break out of Azkaban in #5.

The movies get so much better after the 1st two. I was kinda bored until we watched the 3rd and then I was hooked. Now We've almost finished reading the books. Our first Universal trip is this fall (inspired by our new love of HP) but based on the pictures you wouldn't have to see anymore than you already have, but there would be little things scattered through the movies that might make the parks more special. I've heard it's an impressively themed area even for people who haven't seen all the movies.

DH and I are watching all of them, one each week, as a kind of date night. Its pizza and a HP movie. We finished #4 this weekend. While I have seen them all DH wrote them off as children's books and refused to take the time. Now that we are going to Universal for a stay I insisted that we watch them together. Now he just can't wait for movie night and is finally understanding the lure of them. Bet he buys a wand....lol.
I'd say watch them all in order from the beginning, it can't hurt.

The first two movies are okay - the rest are brilliant! Watch them all if you can - I think it will make for a much more interesting experience.

If you absolutely only had time for 1 more movie I'd recommend the 5th - Order of the Phoenix. It has a lot of the characters and creatures you will encounter in both parks, and explain some of the darker aspects of the story. You'll especially appreciate this if you go to Borgin & Burkes at Knockturn Alley.
Obviously if you have time, watch them all!

I think you'd be able to enjoy the park regardless, but the parks itself really does contain elements, or references to all the films. However, if you honestly want to get certain references, or have the ability to watch the films and see things at the park and be all, "Oh, I remember that!" but want to focus on certain films and not all of them, I'd say #3, #7 and #8 (I'd say just #8, but it is a two part film, so you'd be confused to watch one half and not the other). Perhaps, #6 as one of the new shops at Diagon Alley is introduced in the 6th film, as well as you get to see The Three Broomsticks in the film.

I you are interested the in the books/movies then they will certainly enhance your visit. But my kids were anti-Potter on our first visit and they Loved WWOHP. Since then my daughter has read all the books and I am sure she will enjoy WWOHP much more-but you can certainly enjoy yourself without knowing the story.

Watching the movies and reading the books (books mostly since there are subtleties not included in the movies) will enhance your experiences. However, I know of friends who have experienced the Potter areas of the parks BEFORE doing either and came back with a burning desire to do so. When I go to any of the parks, I watch any movie that has anything new based on it at both Disney and Universal so I can "get it". The hardest thing to do was watch movies to prep for Halloween Horror Nights 2014 since I've never watched any of them. It helped immensely.

Since I was one of those people in line to buy the latest Harry Potter book on day one (I'd buy two because there would be three of us reading), I have to say, they are worth it even if you never set foot in Universal Orlando. BTW, I am 59 years old.

If you can read the books instead, all the better. But, otherwise, I'd do all the movies. I think it's a true series and you wouldn't get as much enjoyment if you skipped around.

We had just seen bits and pieces of some of the movies, but when we decided to go to UO a little over a month ago we decided to start watching the movies. The last 3 weekends we watched 1 on Friday night and 1 on Saturday night and love them. Tonight and tomorrow night we will watch #7 & #8. We leave in 11 days and can't wait to see things we now know about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter