• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What happens when the contract ends?

Never really gave it much thought as to what happens when the contract ends.....(thats not part of the sales pitch now is it)

But anyway, we own at BLT and I will be 94 when the contract ends,

My daughters will be 69 and 64 and my granddaughters will be 50 and 51....

So I guess we will have gotten our money's worth. :thumbsup2

The only thing that is certain for 2041 is that Disney will still have computer systems that work correctly only half the time.

As for Disney being required to allow you to use your last year's points, there is no such requirement. The official documents provide that the entire DVC world at the resort ends January 31, 2042 and also provides that there is no guarantee you can actually get a reservation when trying to reserve because the reservation system operates on a first come, first serve basis and if you cannot get a reservation and lose points as a result, there is no recourse. Absent an extension, the night of January 30, 2042, will be the last possible night any DVC member can stay at the resort on points.

The probability is that at some point Disney will offer an extension. That assumes when the decision is made that Disney World is still up and running and successful and that selling timeshares is still thought to be profitable. Disney has to eventually come up with a plan as to what to do because from a business perspective you don't want a hotel that is usually quite full mostly with DVC members suddenly becoming empty except for a small number of cash guests unless you intend to tear it down. The longer Disney waits to offer an extension, the more expensive it is going to be to purchase and you could even see it being first offered in the latter part of the 2030s as another 50 year contract at new purchaser price.

hmmm.. I will be 84 when my contract ends at SSR (2054). maybe can use the extra money i won't be spending at Disney on a nice set of dentures :thumbsup2

DVC doesn't guarantee the use of points, only the potential use. Points are merely representative of an ownership. Plus there are measures for lotteries and special season lists that could cover this issue. Regardless there is simply not enough time for all to use their points the last 1-2 years. That's factual, the only question is HOW they limit who gets to use it. As for experience in timeshares, there really isn't much to cover this issue. The only system that comes to mind is the Royal resorts in MX and the situation is so different as to not apply. The easiest out is to allow members to opt out of usage and fees and hope they get enough participation, along with not booking the company owned points, that it doesn't matter. There is a chance they could kick the can down the road with extensions but it doesn't change the principles.

I wouldn't mind it if DVC's solution was to allow additional year borrowing. For instance, four to five years out from the end of the contract allow members to borrow several years ahead thereby using all of their points in one last, large, hooray trip. If they did this there would not be such a back log of members 'out of luck' and the Disney 'magic' would make members happy (and thereby perhaps willing to embark on whatever venture Disney comes up with next). This would help 'end' contracts earlier. The only 'catch' would be of course the MF's so perhaps this offer could be given to those who are able to pay their dues in one last large sum.

I am not 'banking' on this happening. 45 years from now I will be 88 years old. I am going to imagine that by that time my points will be more used by my grown children and their future children and whether they get use from this timeshare will be a bonus not a requirement.

I wouldn't mind it if DVC's solution was to allow additional year borrowing. For instance, four to five years out from the end of the contract allow members to borrow several years ahead thereby using all of their points in one last, large, hooray trip. If they did this there would not be such a back log of members 'out of luck' and the Disney 'magic' would make members happy (and thereby perhaps willing to embark on whatever venture Disney comes up with next). This would help 'end' contracts earlier. The only 'catch' would be of course the MF's so perhaps this offer could be given to those who are able to pay their dues in one last large sum.

I am not 'banking' on this happening. 45 years from now I will be 88 years old. I am going to imagine that by that time my points will be more used by my grown children and their future children and whether they get use from this timeshare will be a bonus not a requirement.
I'm certain they will not allow additional borrowing, they may stop borrowing the last couple of years as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter