• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what happens to FD if I arrive 1 day late?

Haven't do all the math yet, but maybe it's worth for me pay an extra day before vacation starts just to get FD.

What happens if I arrive 1 day late?

Toxa, could you re-phrase your question. I don't quite understand your question. So sorry!

But I will give it a try. If I understand correctly:
If you book on the day before your vacation starts, so you can get the Free Dining offer, but then you don't actually come in on that day, what happens??

You will be paid in full so they won't cancel you. But you will need to call Disney and tell them you will be arriving on the next day. They will hold your reservation. (I wouldn't tell them that you only paid for the night so you could get free dining though. Doesn't sound good. But you did pay for it.)

Hope that answers your question!

do be sure to call on check-in day and tell them you're arriving a day later than expected.

And no, they will not cancel your reservation...this is Disney & you are fully paid before you ever get there. And they are very used to late arrivals and weather delays for transportation...after all they have thousands of people arriving 24/7 from all over the world. Obviously they can't all get there at the expected time. :thumbsup2

I don't think you're getting the right information. If you do not check-in when you're supposed to check-in, they WILL cancel you. What you're doing is against Disney's rules. There's a reason the free dining promo ends on a certain date.

You will be paid in full so they won't cancel you. But you will need to call Disney and tell them you will be arriving on the next day. They will hold your reservation. (I wouldn't tell them that you only paid for the night so you could get free dining though. Doesn't sound good. But you did pay for it.)

Being paid in full doesn't matter. If you don't check in on your arrival day, you will be considered a no show.....which in turn will result in the cancellation of your reservation.

do be sure to call on check-in day and tell them you're arriving a day later than expected.

And no, they will not cancel your reservation...this is Disney & you are fully paid before you ever get there. And they are very used to late arrivals and weather delays for transportation...after all they have thousands of people arriving 24/7 from all over the world. Obviously they can't all get there at the expected time. :thumbsup2

Weather delays are one thing, but trying to get around the rules to cheat the system is another. Disney can easily check (and from what I've read on these boards, they DO check) when people say their flight was delayed or they couldn't fly out that day due to weather. So it's not as easy as calling them to say you will be there the next day instead.

I don't think you're getting the right information. If you do not check-in when you're supposed to check-in, they WILL cancel you. What you're doing is against Disney's rules. There's a reason the free dining promo ends on a certain date.

Totally agree :thumbsup2.

Basically if you know in advance you are going to be arriving a full day late, then yes you have to let them know and change your dates.

If you are a planned no show, then yes your reservation will be cancelled.

If you do not check in on your arrival day, you will be considered a no show and your reservation will be cancelled.

I am curious how they hendle a real emergency. I am not booking for free dining, but what if you are, and a real emergency happens. We may drive on our next trip. What if the car breaks down, or the weather delays us?

We had to rebook due to Irene, but our friends still went. Now, it was FD the whole time we would be there, so they didn't loose and Disney refunded the days they missed - however, since their 8 day became a 4 day, they were the ones that lost out on the park tickets since you benefit the longer you stay. When I rebooked, I am arriving on the day that I am because it is the last day for free dining. I hope I don't have to find out what happens to FD if you arrive a day late.

I am curious how they hendle a real emergency. I am not booking for free dining, but what if you are, and a real emergency happens. We may drive on our next trip. What if the car breaks down, or the weather delays us?

In a real emergency, I'm sure Disney would be gracious, as usual. Although, this would be truly as a courtesy to you, since their contract with all of their guests would still allow them to charge you for the days you're not there. That is why insurance is a good idea.

I hate to do this but we have done this for years. Not to just get free dining,which our travel was during free dining, but to have a room when we arrived. We use to drive and a 12 hour trip for up had us arriving anywhere from 4am-8am. The first time we drove at night we arrived to only be blessed with a room available at AKL. The manager at check in mentioned that one option for us was to pay for the night before. He mentioned for us to just make sure we call and inform them of our very late arrival. We have done this at several resorts and never had a problem. The manager I would speak with would even go as far as tell us the room we were in ahead of time so as not to deal with that. When we drive we just love leaving as we get off work, DH and I trade off on the diving and the kids are asleep most of the trip. We love night driving!!

I hate to do this but we have done this for years. Not to just get free dining,which our travel was during free dining, but to have a room when we arrived. We use to drive and a 12 hour trip for up had us arriving anywhere from 4am-8am. The first time we drove at night we arrived to only be blessed with a room available at AKL. The manager at check in mentioned that one option for us was to pay for the night before. He mentioned for us to just make sure we call and inform them of our very late arrival. We have done this at several resorts and never had a problem. The manager I would speak with would even go as far as tell us the room we were in ahead of time so as not to deal with that. When we drive we just love leaving as we get off work, DH and I trade off on the diving and the kids are asleep most of the trip. We love night driving!!

But yours is a bit different--by arriving in the wee hours of the morning, you are still technically arriving the same day.

When someone arrives, say, much later in the day, it could be considered a no show and cancelled.

IMO, taking this chance would be a big risk. I would either try to arrive the last day of FD, or try for another discount.

I ask this question as I was going to book for FD but I was afraid that I may not make it until 12am. As I don't know how the weather is going to be on december 15th, she told me that it would be okay as long as I would made it by 7:00 am the next day.

But yours is a bit different--by arriving in the wee hours of the morning, you are still technically arriving the same day.

When someone arrives, say, much later in the day, it could be considered a no show and cancelled.

IMO, taking this chance would be a big risk. I would either try to arrive the last day of FD, or try for another discount.

I don't understand how my case is different. I may not have been clear. Arriving at 8 am on lets say the 15th when our check in day was lets say the 14th is the next day. I simply would call the resort before we left the house on the lets say the 14th and explain to them we are just getting on the road and we will be 12-14 hours from check in. Now at times we could get on the road from anywhere from 4pm to 9pm so 12 hours from there. We book and pay for the extra night to ensure a room at arrival. Years ago we use to see people sleeping in the lobby waiting on a flight or check in and we would think, I would just pay for the extra day to not have to be here sleeping. I swear we saw 4 families on time at AKL sourrounded by luggage and sleeping on the furniture about 4 am. We mentioned it and the CM said they arrived on late flights but could not get in their rooms till the morning. They were trying to get rooms opened up for them as soon as they could. Of course we had our room waiting on us because we had paid for the day before. I can't imagine.

The new set up does make it more difficult to speak with a resort manager. Please ask to speak with Guest Services and they will get you connected. Also make sure you get the name of the manager you speak with.

Have a great trip and happy planning.

I don't understand how my case is different. I may not have been clear. Arriving at 8 am on lets say the 15th when our check in day was lets say the 14th is the next day. I simply would call the resort before we left the house on the lets say the 14th and explain to them we are just getting on the road and we will be 12-14 hours from check in. Now at times we could get on the road from anywhere from 4pm to 9pm so 12 hours from there. We book and pay for the extra night to ensure a room at arrival. Years ago we use to see people sleeping in the lobby waiting on a flight or check in and we would think, I would just pay for the extra day to not have to be here sleeping. I swear we saw 4 families on time at AKL sourrounded by luggage and sleeping on the furniture about 4 am. We mentioned it and the CM said they arrived on late flights but could not get in their rooms till the morning. They were trying to get rooms opened up for them as soon as they could. Of course we had our room waiting on us because we had paid for the day before. I can't imagine.

The new set up does make it more difficult to speak with a resort manager. Please ask to speak with Guest Services and they will get you connected. Also make sure you get the name of the manager you speak with.

Have a great trip and happy planning.

I had a similar question about our upcoming trip, as the "best" flight we could get has an Orlando arrival time of 12:40 am. I did put that information into our ME reservation, but I also plan on faxing the hotel with our arrival schedule so that they know ahead of time. Fortunately, it's a free DDP trip, so I wanted to get the extra day's dining credits and wasn't tempted to just hang out until a room was ready. My family would openly revolt if they learned I made them sleep in the lobby instead of paying for an extra day, lol. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter