What happens to DVC resorts when parks are shut down?

FireflyTrance

DIS Veteran
I just saw that Disneyland will be closing starting 3/14 and that the Disney hotels will be closing starting 3/16. What happens to the DVC resorts and those who have made reservations at GCV? We own at GCV. Our reservation isn't for a little while but I am wondering if we should just cancel anyway. Scary and uncertain times.

Last edited:
Have a reservation at VGC for 3/27! It is in expiring points (must use by June 1). What, if anything, will DVC do to remedy this?

(following) I've got a couple of nights scheduled at WDW area that were purchased with rented points. Not sure what happens at this point (do we rebook for a later date in the year, somehow get our money refunded, 100% screwed?)

There is hope for us:

So I just got off with member service. They said they are looking at each member's situation. They told me since my points are borrowed as long as I call before 31 days they will put days back in June 2020 year. I asked her if i had to make that decision right now she told me no; 31 days before check-in. So if you have concerns call them and they will help you to figure out what your options are.

(following) I've got a couple of nights scheduled at WDW area that were purchased with rented points. Not sure what happens at this point (do we rebook for a later date in the year, somehow get our money refunded, 100% screwed?)

With rented points, you are probably out of luck unless you have insurance. Most of those are non refundable and since you are dealing with an owner, it would be up to them if they could reschedule for you,

Points have to be used in a specific timeframe so whoever you rented from may not be able to use the points for other dates.

I am hoping you guys get an answer on this quickly. I have rooms booked for my son and his family at WDW DVC with a mid April check in and I would need to cancel really soon to not lose those points. I was hoping those of you in California would have an answer by now so I would know what to do as well. I think it is just a matter of time before WDW makes their announcement

Have a reservation at VGC for 3/27! It is in expiring points (must use by June 1). What, if anything, will DVC do to remedy this?

Our reservation is the 25-28th... hoping they’ll just put my points back into my use year and not holding. I could then bank them since I’m still in that window.

We check in April 2nd, so we’re already past the 31 day window. We also have a June use year and are past the banking deadline. Even if the parks are back open, I don’t think we can go. My husband’s work is saying anyone traveling anywhere in the next 60 days will have to come back and do a 14 day quarantine. He definitely doesn’t have the PTO for that which would put his job in jeopardy. And of course this was the year we activated our only set of annual pass vouchers. They expire end of May. Sigh...

The hotels are staying open, so they might not do anything.

Gonna have to fight for pool loungers if no one can go to the park.

We check in April 2nd, so we’re already past the 31 day window. We also have a June use year and are past the banking deadline. Even if the parks are back open, I don’t think we can go. My husband’s work is saying anyone traveling anywhere in the next 60 days will have to come back and do a 14 day quarantine. He definitely doesn’t have the PTO for that which would put his job in jeopardy. And of course this was the year we activated our only set of annual pass vouchers. They expire end of May. Sigh...
we check in april 3 and also have a JUNE UY! I am going to call in the morning and see if they can put the points into 2020.

we check in april 3 and also have a JUNE UY! I am going to call in the morning and see if they can put the points into 2020.

I have to work tomorrow and won’t have time to be on hold with Member Services. Please let me know what they say! I will call Saturday and prepare to be on hold for a LONG time!

I have to work tomorrow and won’t have time to be on hold with Member Services. Please let me know what they say! I will call Saturday and prepare to be on hold for a LONG time!

Try to send an email. That’s what I did since I have 17 days until check in so not in a rush to spend all that time on the phone yet.

i was just saying on another forum that I just canceled my ressie in 2 weeks on dvc website and it put all my points back where they belonged; no holding account and more importantly, no wait on phone which i could get thru anyway.

i was just saying on another forum that I just canceled my ressie in 2 weeks on dvc website and it put all my points back where they belonged; no holding account and more importantly, no wait on phone which i could get thru anyway.
That’s good news. Glad to see Disney is doing the right thing.

We had a three night stay at Poly that I just cancelled and replaced with Vero Beach. We live in Mass so didn't want to forgo the warm sunshine.

I just cancelled a stay for next week, and it put my points back but I can't bank them for next use year which starts in Sept. I don't think I can get back there before then, but not pushing it at this point. They have enough on their hands! We have been members since 2005, and when everything settles down, they will do what they need to. Disney always has. :)

I just cancelled a stay for next week, and it put my points back but I can't bank them for next use year which starts in Sept. I don't think I can get back there before then, but not pushing it at this point. They have enough on their hands! We have been members since 2005, and when everything settles down, they will do what they need to. Disney always has. :)

They are making the exception and allowing people to bank. I’d send an email and ask about it..,or, give them a call next week to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter