What happens if your flight is oversold?

teacup princess

DIS Veteran
We have tickets on AA for MLK weekend. Flight prices and times for that weekend have been ridiculous and we were going to cancel our trip, then one morning I awoke to find a new nonlayover flight I hadn't seen before with great times for $290 rt. I snatched up 5 tickets quickly but didn't pay the $66/ ticket fee for preferred seating since $290 is my max budget for flight. Since then I've noticed prices have continued to jump to $750 for the same flight. There doesn't seem to be any preferred seating left yet they are continuing to sell tickets. I can't help but think the flight is being oversold. So, if we don't have preferred seating will we be the first to get bumped? What happens then? Do they give us a discount to fly later? Do they even have to get us on another flight? Or are we just refunded our money and left standing at the airport scrounging to find other (no doubt) more costly airfare? Sorry, we are not seasoned travelers and on our previous flights have not experienced difficulties? Just want to be prepared.

If they are still selling tickets it is most likely that the flight is not oversold.

If your flight is oversold you can check the airlines web site for info about your rights and options. Generally an airline will ask for volunteers to take a bump to a later flight (for compensation) in an oversold situation. If not enough people volunteer then the general practice is those that arrive last will not be allowed to board simply because there aren't any seats left.

teacup princess said:
We have tickets on AA for MLK weekend. Flight prices and times for that weekend have been ridiculous and we were going to cancel our trip, then one morning I awoke to find a new nonlayover flight I hadn't seen before with great times for $290 rt. I snatched up 5 tickets quickly but didn't pay the $66/ ticket fee for preferred seating since $290 is my max budget for flight. Since then I've noticed prices have continued to jump to $750 for the same flight. There doesn't seem to be any preferred seating left yet they are continuing to sell tickets. I can't help but think the flight is being oversold. So, if we don't have preferred seating will we be the first to get bumped? What happens then? Do they give us a discount to fly later? Do they even have to get us on another flight? Or are we just refunded our money and left standing at the airport scrounging to find other (no doubt) more costly airfare? Sorry, we are not seasoned travelers and on our previous flights have not experienced difficulties? Just want to be prepared.

You're fine. Prices go up as the seating categories sell out. You're in no danger of being bumped

1. Try calling to get pre reserved seats, even if they aren't seats together. They may be no seats left to pre reserve without paying extra, and some seats are saved for the airport day of departure. So this may not work.

2. Check in online as soon as you are allowed to 23 or 24 hours prior to departure. At this time you will either have seats listed, or your boarding passes will say something like "see gate agent for a seat. If you have seats great, if not...

3. Depending on your departure airports size and how close you live to it, get to the airport as soon as possible! Most airlines won't check bags more than 4 hours prior, but the earlier you get to the airport the more seats available to clear your family seats with.

All airlines are a little different, but basically and oversold flight comes down to whom checked in last. They look for volunteers first. If you have more questions about #3, I can clarify if you let me know how far away you live from the airport, and how big/busy it is. ( sorry, didn't pay attention if you stated your departure airport before I started typing)

If your flight is oversold you can check the airlines web site for info about your rights and options. Generally an airline will ask for volunteers to take a bump to a later flight (for compensation) in an oversold situation.

Note that federal regulations specifically require airlines to ask for volunteers before involuntarily bumping anyone. See section 250.2b of the Transportation Department's oversales regulations (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title14-vol4/pdf/CFR-2012-title14-vol4-sec250-2b.pdf).

If not enough people volunteer then the general practice is those that arrive last will not be allowed to board simply because there aren't any seats left.

American's policy, from its website:

American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.​

http://www.aa.com/i18n/customerServ...nditionsOfCarriage.jsp&locale=it_IT#Oversales.

The bad news is that the information on that site is out-of-date. The good news for passengers is that the compensation due if they are bumped involuntarily has increased. The amount varies based on factors such as whether a domestic or international flight is involved, and the time it takes to reroute the bumped passenger, but compensation now tops out at $1300, instead of $800. See http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title14-vol4/pdf/CFR-2012-title14-vol4-sec250-5.pdf.

Good info. Thanks! I will check in 24 hours in advance and am ok if we end up sitting all over the plane. I booked the earliest flight time possible and didn't want to lose our whole first day sitting at the airport.

We love it when the flight is oversold it usually means we score a free flight for another trip to Disney. As soon as the gate agent arrive we ask if the flight is over sold and sign up to volunteer our seats.

In Oct our flight home from Disney was over sold by two so we volunteered and gave up our seats in Orlando. Then we were put on a flight from MCO to Chicago and got bumbed again in Chicago. We now have over $1200 in free flight money to use!!!!:cool1:

You're fine. Prices go up as the seating categories sell out. You're in no danger of being bumped

While it's unlikely the OP's party of five will be bumped, it is not an impossibility that this will happen. You really should not post such an absolute assurance; you don't know what will happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter