What happens if there is a hurricane ?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
We are going sept 6th during hurricane season. What happens if a hurricane hits while we are at Disney ? Do they make people evacuate ? I have been evacuated from Myrtle Beach once but we were driving. This time we wont have a car. Just wondered what they do and what happens ? :cool1:

We are going sept 6th during hurricane season. What happens if a hurricane hits while we are at Disney ? Do they make people evacuate ? I have been evacuated from Myrtle Beach once but we were driving. This time we wont have a car. Just wondered what they do and what happens ? :cool1:

Disney rarely closes due to hurricanes. You are inland. From what I have read on those boards and seen on YouTube they park can stay open and the crowds are usually lite. Prepare to play in the rain.:hippie:

The only resort I've heard is evacuated is Fort Wilderness. Myrtle Beach is on the ocean and could have a landfall but Orlando is 60 miles inland.

We are leaving in 12 days and hoping the hurricanes stay away.
Actually from what I hear WDW is the place to be during a hurricane, and I don't think its ever been evacuated (its central FL, not the coast). IF necessary they will close the parks for a day and then maybe open an hour later the next day to clean up. If the threat is bad you may have stay in your room during the hurricane. I am sure other DISers will send some messages with their experiences during an actual hurricane while in WDW, but from what I hear, @ most you may miss a day of touring.
Hope you stay hurricane free though during your stay!

Disney is where they evacuate TO...

Their resorts are one of the safest places to be during a hurricane. They are built for it...

And I wasn't joking. Sometimes they do evac people to the Disney resorts, including Cast Members and their families.

They've only closed the parks twice, and that was mostly so most CM's could get home to board up or do whatever was needed. There was just foliage damage and lots of branches down from the high winds blocking roads, but all parks were open the next day except AK that opened later in the day due to extensive foliage clean up. Not sure if that was for just one of the storms or both of them. IIRC one of those hurricanes deflated pretty quickly and there was not as much damage.

Parks were closed, all guests were confined to their hotels, no going outside. Disney did have some entertainment and activities for the kids in the lobbies and offered movies on the room TVs on a few channels. Resort restaurants were closed or limited, so guests were advised at the start on their room phones to stock up on food for their rooms. Pizza, sandwiches, snacks, drinks, etc. to last the night until the storm passed.

I had clients there both times, and from what I hear the storms weren't too bad since Orlando is inland and the hurricanes lose steam traveling over land. They said Disney handled things very well considering the circumstances and the huge numbers of people they had to take care of.

But that's only two closures in about 40 years, pretty good record.

Their resorts are one of the safest places to be during a hurricane. They are built for it...

And I wasn't joking. Sometimes they do evac people to the Disney resorts, including Cast Members and their families.

They do put people in their resorts. Disney will actually give them discounts too. I was there in 05 when hurricane Wilma hit. The parks were closed till about 2pm that day. Orlando was in a state of emergency, so you were pretty much forced to stay in your room. We only had trash and towels that day from Mousekeeping. We'd stopped and got some stuff for breakfast and lunch since we'd had a car before getting on property. Disney has their own generators so you don't lose power. Other nearby resorts aren't so lucky. Disney also has people that stay in the parks to ride the storm out so when it does open they'll have people already there.

Our experience was handled well by WDW. Resort "lock down" for just one day. We had to stay in our rooms until storm passed. Stay at resort until parks reopened next day. No monorails or buses were running. Disney offered courtesy park tickets for those who had to extend stay due to airport closing. Travel insurance came in handy. Covered food and resort over the package price. Airline reissued tickets at no charge.

If it's just a tropical depression or tropical storm, it's pretty much business as usual - just very wet! If an actual hurricane is approaching Florida, they will determine if it's close enough and strong enough to require the parks to close. They try to allow enough time for CM's to get home before the storm arrives. There will also be fewer CM's scheduled to work at the resorts - they did an extra towel delivery from housekeeping prior to the storm, and advised that you stock up on snacks and drinks for you room because the restaurants would not be operating. They ran extra entertainment on the TV and in some of the resorts that are interconnected they had activities in the lobby. If you are in a resort with exterior corridors or separate buildings, you may be confined to your room for as long as 24-36 hours, depending on how fast the storm moves and how close it is to Orlando. They were very good about leaving messages on the room phone and under the door about what was going on.

I have a 10 day stay booked in September, and I visit in September pretty much every year. I pack a couple good books, a small flashlight, a small weather radio, and plan to have something like bread and peanut butter that doesn't require electricity to prepare for eating. Make sure your cell phone is charged before a storm arrives, as well as any other electronics you have with you. I know a lot of people like to unplug from the real world while at Disney, but it's a good idea to check in with the Weather Channel or the local news once a day just to catch the weather forecasts and make sure everything is clear. I usually put the Weather Channel on while I'm getting ready to head to the parks, so I keep up with it that way.

One last thing - travel insurance. A lot of people ask if they should buy travel insurance during hurricane season, and the answer is it depends. If you're driving, then I would say no, because Disney is very flexible when it comes to cancelling or rescheduling because of a hurricane here. If you're flying on tickets you can't change without paying out a lot of money, then it becomes more of an issue. You also need to consider whether you could absorb the costs if you are delayed leaving Florida because of a hurricane. Can you afford to pay for an extra day or two at a hotel on top of paying for airline ticket changes? The more money you can possibly lose, the more valuable the insurance can be. But read the fine print carefully to be sure you will be covered in the way you need to be covered. Every policy is different, and not all of them will cover additional expenses and cancellations due to hurricanes.

Think positive! I've only had a couple September Disney vacations affected by hurricanes, and the weather just before and after the storm is usually fantastic! I still had great trips, and I've had dozens of trips with no tropical weather at all.

I live on the panhandle coast of Fl and we have been there in Sept and Oct before. From what I hear Disney only closed 1 day for each hurricane that came thru which was 2004, for a total of 2 days. So your chances of being in a hurricane in Orlando are pretty slim. Only 1 yr ...2004 we had to change our ressies 6 times because of hurricanes coming in when we had planned on going. We had orginally planned on going labor day weekend and we finally made it the last week of Oct. Disney did not charge us anything to change our ressies. So read the fine print on the Disney Magic Your Way Package. We already have a backup plan this Oct. My son and his kids and wife are driving from Tn..suppose to come to PC, FL and spend the night, then we all drive down together. My daughter is flying directly in from Dallas to Orlando to meet us there. In case we are under a Hurricane Watch or Warning..my son will take alternate route and meet us there..we will then board up, load up 2 cars, 3 dogs and a cat to board at Disney kennels and still have our trip..that is if we are ordered to evacuate from where we live. Anyway, we have our fingers crossed there wont be any when we get ready to come.

Well Im glad they dont usually evacuate people. I dont think it would be much fun being in your room for 24 hours or so. :eek: I have been there during labor day week before but had no trouble except some pretty hard down pours. I just wondered about the hurricanes because I was searching the internet and read on a few articles that said it was suppose to be a extremely active hurricane season this year. I hope they are wrong and everyone going Aug & Sept has a wonderful hurricane free trip ! :cool2:

Oh yeah, I went in Sept. '08 and watched the weather reports like a hawk. No hurricane came close to Orlando, but one hit Houston, Texas, my connecting airport, that was a nightmare, rerouted so many times we were flagged as suspicious for searches, but 4 layovers crisscrossing the country and 20 hrs. later we were back on the west coast.

My dh and I's first trip to WDW was in Sept 1999.....which meant it was the first time they closed most of disney. We stayed at POR and the cm's handled the situation in a very good way. They did have us fill our bathtubs with water and we were given flashlights. The resturants were closed but the food court was open. All food was half off and we stocked up. The park ended up only being closed for one day. Even with the parks closed we were allowed to walk around Epcot. I was terrified---I know tornadoes but not hurricanes but disney put our minds to rest.

For those of you that don't know about this site, it is a great resource to track storms before your trip. Although, I am sure most of you do know about it.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thanks for the link- just added it to my Disney folder!

We arrived in WDW the day after Charley (or was it Charlie?) hit. I could see some damage still in the parks (Studios had a few uprooted trees in the parks, not removed yet) but the resorts were spotless.

Our trip is end of August - we'll definitely be keeping an eye on the weather, for hurricanes, thunderstorms, and tornados.

We were at the park during Hurrican Jeanne. The parks did close early that day and we were on lock-down from 10 pm until around 5 pm the next day. We were told in advance that the food court area would be closed and we purchased some snacks for the room...that was our first mistake. After so many hours, doughnuts and chips do not cut it. I wish we had purchased some food with more "substance". The next time we would buy things like canned white chicken and mayo so we could have sandwiches! Disney handled the event very well in my opinion. They continuously ran movies for the kids and when we were allowed to leave our rooms, they had characters all over the lobby taking photos, signing autographs and playing with everyone. We did have some light poles down, limbs, etc. and the pools were full of debris. The resorts all have undergound utilities and they own their own utility company so we never lost power. We were scheduled to leave on a cruise and that was a little unorganized because they had to change our deportation port to Ft. Lauderdale.

From One Who Worked Thru a Huuricane:

1) Parks close only if it looks like a direct hit.
. . . park may actually close
. . . people are told to go back to the resort and stay indoors
. . . Fort Wilderness guests are evacuated to other resorts
2) If not a that close and not a direct hit,
. . . most outdoor rides will close
. . . parades and fireworks usually are stopped
3) If a hurricane does hit or comes close
. . . CM's stay in the resorts on a voluntary basis (and paid overtime)
. . . resort pools and outdoor activities are halted
. . . guests must stay inside
. . . there are extra indoor activities in the resort to keep people busy
4) If the parks are closed
. . . there might be a credit for an additonal day
. . . resorts usually do not offer an optional free night
. . . there are no cash refunds

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2001, my family (from Long Island, NY) were there for our first grand gathering trip. Not only did 9-11 occur during our visit, but there was also a hurricane on our last day. We were staying at the Contemporary, CL. Not only did they comp us the room for an extra night (as the flights were grounded and rental cars were hard to come by), all long distance phone calls, but the park remained open, the crowds were non-existant and playing in the rain all day was such a great way to escape the horror of what was happening in our home towns and our places of business.

Don't worry about it hurricanes while you are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter