What happens during T-storm?

nemorocks

Mouseketeer
So we are leaving on Saturday for our Disney vaca. I checked the 10 day forcast...and although I know it can change, right now the chances of t-storms while we are there next week are extremely high :mad: From the looks of it right now, the t-storms are suppose to happen three out of the four days we are there! What happens during t-storms at Disney? I'm so nervous now! That will make getting around pretty hard with the kids. Any advice appreciated!

*Hoping for a change in the weather forcast :wizard:

First, keep in mind, while nearly cliche around here, down here truly does often show storms on the outlook, and 90% of the time (if not 95%) its a passing storm that comes and goes.

Often overlooked is that WDW is not like most parks like say "Busch Gardens". Many, if not most attractions are indoors.

If its storming, just find a restaurant, or a ride and go in and enjoy (a show perhaps, such as Hall of Presidents).

overall really WDW is easy to do when storming. It does take away the fun a bit because you cant leisurely walk around, but rarely is it more than an hour or so.

During a thunderstorm where there's lightning present, Disney will temporarily close outside rides, especially BTMR. Otherwise, go see a show, go shopping or go eat while it passes.

Just go ride "Its a Small World" for an hour. I'm sure when you're done, you really dont mind walking around in the rain as long as you're nowhere near fantasyland. :thumbsup2

I've been to WDW during many a T-storm. As many people have said, they're usually passing storms. WDW Will close the outdoor rides. At MK, this is BTMRR, and Splash. I think they will close TT. I usually find myself at MK during the storms to be honest.

It's a GREAT opportunity to stop for a meal, or take in a longer attraction. During a T-storm at MK, we usually head to Tomorrowland and get right on CoP. It's 26 minutes long and the T-storms are usually gone when we get out. If they're not, there are plenty of other attractions with indoor queues within walking distance.

The BEST part is that many people will leave the park during a t-storm, esp if it's later afternoon (which is when t-storms usually occur) or evening, so there will be a mass exodus and if you wait it out, you'll be rewarded with a much emptier park

First, everyone does this.

lucilleexcited.gif

Then, everyone does this, because God should have prevented the rain from happening on their vacation.
dontwanta.gif

Then, when people realize that the park continues operations unless there is a hurricane or tornado happening, everyone does this.
spockorly.gif

Then, when the rain stops (usually 30 minutes later), everyone does this.
celebrationa.gif

That is what happens whenever it rains, or storms, at Disney.

Dr. Girlfriend... can I be your friend? That post was AWESOME!

As for what to do in a storm... throw on a poncho or find a nice indoor ride to experience. You would be surprised just how many rides at Disney are indoors! There is always something else to do!

While Disney may temporarily close some of the rides, Disney itself will not close. It has closed only twice, on Sept 11 and for one hurricane. Many months it rains every day somewhere in the state of Florida, so I plan for rain every trip. Bring sandals to walk in the rain, or take shelter in the shows or restaurants.

Dr. Girlfriend... can I be your friend? That post was AWESOME!

As for what to do in a storm... throw on a poncho or find a nice indoor ride to experience. You would be surprised just how many rides at Disney are indoors! There is always something else to do!

Sure :) LOL.

Along with raingear for the people in your group, bring something to cover any strollers you might have with you. Nothing ruins a kid's fun more than a wet stroller seat!

The first thunderstorm of our trip took place when we were in Epcot, nice and close to China. So we went inside and watched the movie! By the time we got out, it was all over. Extra bonus = Mulan was there while we waited for the movie, and DS got to meet her!

During a thunderstorm where there's lightning present, Disney will temporarily close outside rides, especially BTMR. Otherwise, go see a show, go shopping or go eat while it passes.

Carousel of Progress does to, due to it's "status as a rain shelter". It was closed for about 45 minutes when Tropical Storm Alberto passed near WDW in 2006.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
First, everyone does this.

lucilleexcited.gif

Then, everyone does this, because God should have prevented the rain from happening on their vacation.
dontwanta.gif

Then, when people realize that the park continues operations unless there is a hurricane or tornado happening, everyone does this.
spockorly.gif

Then, when the rain stops (usually 30 minutes later), everyone does this.
celebrationa.gif

That is what happens whenever it rains, or storms, at Disney.

Most people hide in stores, so go hit up any attraction thats in doors. I love walking DHS in a down pour with thunder and lightning. I was one of the only soaked fools there. Everyone else took cover.

I'm also going next week, but DH and I LOVE rain, cloudy days, and thunderstorms and have no problems getting wet, but I do worry that attractions will close. Judging by this thread, it's only BTMR and maybe a couple of others that are outdoors, unless it's a very threatening storm. So I'm sort of happy about the weather. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter