What happened to World of Color?

SD33

Mouseketeer
The new show is just...meh...compared to the other one. It has gone from WOW to cutesy and quaint. I'm a huge Disney history buff so in theory I should like this show but it really does lack the emotional impacted dynamics of the original. The music is lacking, there's too much narration, and half the time it looks like the water canons are doing everything they can to observe California's water shortage. Way too much usage of the mist screens to tell the story (of which there is very little) rather than the actual fountains. And why is Neil Patrick Harris singing the theme?

(sigh)

Did the imagineers just bite off more than they could chew with a new parade, new fireworks show and WOC update all at the same time? Seems like they are spread too thin.

The only thing not spread too thin is Frozen which is apparently the centerpiece to every single Disney nighttime spectacular now. I think it's time to let "Let It Go" go.

Sorry to vent, I just miss the old WOC. It was my favorite show Disney ever created and we are taking some friends this Summer who haven't been since they were kids. Was really hoping they'd get to see the awesomeness that was the original WOC.

How is everyone else feeling about it?

I'm not going to use the spoiler tag here, so fair warning.

They do use the 2 video screens, which are easier for most of the audience to see, so I thought that was positive. I thought that the show went back to Walt too many times. I thought that at a certain point his background and vision were established and now it was time to move on to more about the parks now, and celebrate the whole 60 years. I would have even have lived to see a section with short clips from the 25th, 30th, 35th, 50th celebrations. There were very cool parts, like characters sliding off one screen and onto another, but overall I thought the slower pace, slower tempo of songs and fewer songs isn't something I'll be rushing to see again.

I also thought that the placement of Let it Go in the middle was awkward and I wish they'd either picked something else or made it shorter. And while I like the song, I thought that ending with a Bob Dylan song when there were hardly any other songs in the show was a weird choice.

I'm not going to use the spoiler tag here, so fair warning.

They do use the 2 video screens, which are easier for most of the audience to see, so I thought that was positive. I thought that the show went back to Walt too many times. I thought that at a certain point his background and vision were established and now it was time to move on to more about the parks now, and celebrate the whole 60 years. I would have even have lived to see a section with short clips from the 25th, 30th, 35th, 50th celebrations. There were very cool parts, like characters sliding off one screen and onto another, but overall I thought the slower pace, slower tempo of songs and fewer songs isn't something I'll be rushing to see again.

I also thought that the placement of Let it Go in the middle was awkward and I wish they'd either picked something else or made it shorter. And while I like the song, I thought that ending with a Bob Dylan song when there were hardly any other songs in the show was a weird choice.

I completely agree SMD.

So I have seen the original in person and watched the new one online. I have to agree with you guys. I was actually bored at one point, thought the Frozen part was too long and weirdly placed, and it mirrored so much of the new fireworks show. I have always been *amazed* by Disney's live entertainment, usually in awe and wonder when it's over, but I will not be spending time watching the new WOC in person. I do love the water and the color... That is just beautiful and never ceases to amaze me.

So I have seen the original in person and watched the new one online. I have to agree with you guys. I was actually bored at one point, thought the Frozen part was too long and weirdly placed, and it mirrored so much of the new fireworks show. I have always been *amazed* by Disney's live entertainment, usually in awe and wonder when it's over, but I will not be spending time watching the new WOC in person. I do love the water and the color... That is just beautiful and never ceases to amaze me.
To be fair, I also watched it online (twice, in full). I'll be front and center in the yellow section in July if all goes as planned, but from what I've already seen, I agree with your boredom assessment. It's almost schockingly boring (if that's even possible). The only positive thing I can really say about it is that they have added some great new lighting and other special effects that really shine on the Star Wars segment as well as the last 45 seconds of the show. If only they had an amazing musical climax to accompany the beautiful insanity of that last bit. It really is pretty stunning, visually.

I believe the Frozen section of the show is just a carbon copy from Winter Dreams. I heard (can't remember from where) that it was supposed to be a different scene perhaps from Marvel but it didn't fit in with the final show so they went with Let it Go instead. That's why it feels kinda forced.

My personal opinion is the show was fun and entertaining, but didn't have the same heart as the original WoC. The last couple of minutes had some emotional parts with Walt which I enjoyed.

I will see it again if it is still running when I go back in October.

Apparently I'm in the minority because I like the new show better than the original. The original one used to bore me and I didn't really feel anything while watching it. I loved the parts with Walt and enjoy NPH.

Apparently I'm in the minority because I like the new show better than the original. The original one used to bore me and I didn't really feel anything while watching it. I loved the parts with Walt and enjoy NPH.

Count me in the minority, too. I really didn't like the original show and felt there was nothing holding it together. This new show is a great way to give some of the history of Walt Disney and his vision while showcasing where the movies have gone throughout the more recent years. I know it doesn't appeal to the general public, but it's a beautiful show. I know some people dislike NPH in it, but to me, he fits really well. He and his family love and have a passion for Disney. He has provided his voice for other Disney attractions. Did the show need him? Not really. But, it still works.

I've never seen the original but was in awe of the new show when I saw it last week. I thought it was awesome but had nothing to compare it to.

I agree, not as "tugging" at your heart as the original, and not as catchy music. Doesn't seem as entertaining for young kids, and fails to be nostalgic enough for "old" kids. Frozen is way too prevalent everywhere now. Did love the star wars and extreme fire scenes though. Images on the water screens seemed blurrier than they should be to me, but at least projections on mickey wheel were nice and clear. I think this one might limp along and barely make it the year. Got kind of annoyed by NPH in it, too.

Last edited:
DH and I agree with you that this show is lacking. I found it boring and not as spectacular as the original. The original show used more color, fountains and music to tell as story whereas this seemed to be a TV special projected onto screens. And what on earth does "Let It Go" have to do with Walt Disney's life???

I hope the old show will be coming back after the 60th as this has no repeatability.

I love my Walt, of course, and I haven't watched any of the new WoC videos. But I'll bet dollars to donuts he says the tired old, "To all who come to this happy place..." and, "...it was all started by a mouse" during the show. Aarrgghh!

I love my Walt, of course, and I haven't watched any of the new WoC videos. But I'll bet dollars to donuts he says the tired old, "To all who come to this happy place..." and, "...it was all started by a mouse" during the show. Aarrgghh!

We watched part of it on youtube and I can tell you that he does in fact say at least one of those, not sure about the other.

Yes, video of both Walt's catchphrases are included. That didn't bother me so much as it is supposed to be celebrating 60 years of Disneyland so it should cover the opening. NPH didn't bother me. I like him, but I also wasn't standing there thinking of how great he made it. It was more, oh, there's more talking now, and half the sentences start with "Walt Disney," how about a song with some coordinated streams of colored water instead.

I'm really surprised by the responses here as I thought it was better than the original and was very moving. Saw many tears she'd including from me and so many people leaving saying how they loved it. Goes to show it won't please everyone but I absolutely loved it.

I loved WOC the first time we saw it. I had a dining package booked for it this time. Before any of the previews I decided to cancel that and just do FP. I then went to thinking we may just watch it from the GC DVC viewing area. After watching previews we all decided we'd rather stick to CarsLand at night. We were also bored.

I loved the new one and yes i'm a frozen fan and liked the song in it too. But i loved all the Walt moments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter