What happened to the fanny pack?

That's it. I am taking mine out of storage for next month. We had been using those string bags but they get hot on your back. I miss my fanny pack.

During one trip, I felt my fanny pack was particularly droopy and uncomfortable. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it tight enough. I switched to a very lightweight, smallish hipster from then on. I still have my fanny packs in my luggage (much to the dismay of my children who thought they were awful;)

I found a really cute, fashionable fanny pack. They call them "waist purses"

kinies.com/product/157

They come in a couple of different colors

I guess "dorkishness" is in the eye of the beholder. I think those are far more dorkish then a fanny pack, but that just me, I guess.

In the meantime...it might be good to realize that nobody, and I mean this seriously, NOBODY gives a rats tail what you wear on your person in the form of a place to store your (in the words of George Carlin) stuff. The only time I ever even notice what someone has is if and when I get half knocked over by a backpack that could store a three bedroom apartment worth of "stuff". At that point I take issue with it and wonder...is it necessary to bring your household with you to a theme park?

Also I might add, in reaction to the cargo pants idea. I am a guy with no visible hips and a flat butt. If I overload the "cargo" pockets in my cargo shorts, well lets just say you will get a show that you were not expecting. I'll just stick to my fanny Pack, thank you.

Yeah - I don't want to be you... You know, that dorky middle-aged guy with the fanny pack. I do, however, like being prepared. So I choose instead to be me... You know, that dorky middle-aged guy with 5 pairs of cargo shorts, each of which have way more storage capacity than your biggest fannie pack AND do not require me to go through bag check! So I walk through the no-bags line, and I look, and I laugh at the guys with fannie packs AND back packs! Cha-Ching!!!:banana: ;)

I gotta say...seems like a loophole in the whole "security" system. :laughing:

Although I can't imagine walking around with loaded down cargo shorts...sounds like misery to me.

I remember the various fanny packs my Dad had, especially one that was big enough for his video camera (back when they held full VHS tapes) as well as everything else you could possibly need. I had an Indiana Jones one at one point! Now I just take a back pack. Fits a little bit more. My wife wouldn't let me near a fanny pack, anyway. Although she did like a Coach "hip bag" she saw.

If my DH or I are planning on buying a "fanny pack" we usually try to find the "coolest" one. No "no brand" fanny packs. We will go for the ones at the popular outdoors stores/sports stores (REI, Eddie Bauer) with the more sporty colors. Always remember to take them off during photos.:scared1: My DH will wear one to the side of his waist so it is not exactly in front.

i wore a bum bag (fanny pack... i'im engish!) during our last trip. i didn't want a back pack because a) i didn't know that you can take a bag on pretty much any ride, and b) i didn't want more tan lines across my shoulders.
i couldn't give a hoot if they are uncool. mine holds what i need and keeps my hands and arms free. plus it's so mundane, black and boring. love it!
next trip however, i will have my mother as a bag (she won't go anywhere without a small suitcase) so i can be completely bag free. hurrah!

:wave2:
Me, me! I wear a fanny pack (waist satchel)! I have a neck injury from a car accident and that makes it hard to wear things on my shoulder or back. I don't care what anyone thinks! :3dglasses

I did buy a cross body bag that I was going to try to use at WDW, but after a test run, it made my neck hurt too much.

i heard fanny packs went out of vogue when free ddp hit the scenes....see free ddp really is causing disney to go downhill.

Fanny packs don't go with the neon spandex booty shorts I like to wear. Jk! But, seriously, I would totally go for the cargo shorts idea if they made them for women. Or do they? :confused3

Yes, they do :). I got some last year and loved them! They don't pack in as much as the ones for men (men's cargos tend to have baggier pockets) but it was perfect for my phone, tickets, etc. when DH was carrying the backpack on the other side of the park.

I got a pair of breathable cotton cargo pants at Maurices (you could fold them up and button them to make capris). Then I found some olive green shorts at Victoria's Secret and really liked them. I just looked and they still have them available, so I'm going to have to buy a pair in khakis for this trip :). Here's the link to give you an idea of what the cargos for women look like:

Victoria's Secret Cargos for Women

You'll be happy to know that there are "cool" ones. I wear a small version for my runs. It fits my keys, my iPhone & tissues. I got it at Marshall's.

I bought one for my trip. DH keeps making fun of it, but I don't care. It even holds 2 water bottles, I'm pretty excited about it. :lmao::cool1:

You know, I was trying to find a fanny pack around here, and I couldn't... I'm in the middle of nowhere, NH. :confused3 I got over it and just got a cheap back-pack. If we need anything to get covered from water, we carry ziplock bags.

any pics of the "cool" ones?
Not sure you'd find these in Marshall's, but I'd say these could be considered 'cool'!

Prada
16876_P_1283333614988.jpg

Gucci
belt-bag.jpg

Coach
hip-bag-coach-penelope-signature-fanny-pack.jpg

Chanel
CHANEL+BLACK+QUILTED+LEATHER+WAIST+PUCH+%282%29.JPG

Burberry
burberrywaistpack.jpg

Louis Vuitton
rihanna-lv-fanny-pack.jpg

Guess
guess-renee-mini-double-waist-pack.jpg

Tokidoki
tokimagia_eco10a.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter