What happened to Groupon?

dakcp2001

<font color=darkorchid>Am I wrong to want a cashie
They used to have great customer service and I used to really enjoy using groupons. The last 3 I have bought have been nothing but headaches, and customer service is non existent. Groupon refers me to the vendor who in turn refers me back to groupon. I can't even redeem the offer. Lesson learned. I just want my money back. NO MORE GROUPON. It does not appear that I will be getting a refund anytime soon, but I just wanted to warn the rest of you. Although Groupon used to be awesome they appear to have gotten too big to handle their issues anymore. Anyone else having similar issues?

That is new then.

My son had issues with 2 deals, Groupon immediately refunded his money. Not sure why they would send you to the merchant, since you are paying Groupon, not the merchant for the deal.

I've never had a problem with them.
They have always handled any problem themselves and to my satisfaction.

The Groupon stock price has declined over 50% since it went public in November of 2011. And the OPs experience reflects why; it was always an overhyped idea that was supposed to revolutionize retail but ended up being nothing more than another email based coupon-clipping service, so the lofty expectations many set for it were never met. The core problem was there were already plenty of other web coupon sources out there, I never understood what was supposed to be so special about the Groupon approach (no, the "local" element they offer is not unique).

To put things in investor parlance, Groupon is a shooting star.

It grew fast, but is now fading even faster.

The Groupon stock price has declined over 50% since it went public in November of 2011. And the OPs experience reflects why; it was always an overhyped idea that was supposed to revolutionize retail but ended up being nothing more than another email based coupon-clipping service, so the lofty expectations many set for it were never met. The core problem was there were already plenty of other web coupon sources out there, I never understood what was supposed to be so special about the Groupon approach (no, the "local" element they offer is not unique).

To put things in investor parlance, Groupon is a shooting star.

It grew fast, but is now fading even faster.

A lot of merchants have stopped using the sites. They are billed as a way to draw new customers in to sample, and hope they become regulars. But in reality, their regular customers were the primary buyers of the deals, so all they were doing was losing money.
Not sure if folks know how these deals work. The merchant only gets about 30% of the money of the deal price. The remaining 70% goes to Groupon/Deal Chicken, whoever is selling the deal.

I have had trouble also but it has been the merchant more so than Groupon. I went through groupon to help with the problem(scheduling issues)and when they couldn't rectify the issue they have always refunded my money. Also I haven't bought any certificates from groupon In about 6 months. I got tired of the hassle from the merchants. But I have always got my refund from groupon.

I've never had a problem with Groupon, if it changes and I start having issues then I'll stop using them but so far so good. :) Thanks for the info OP.

Here, the past few months Groupon has had the same merchants constantly with the same deals.
And the Groupon Goods deals are not deals. I have easily found the same thing for the same price or less other places several times and many times the MSRP is not true on Groupon.
I have never had a problem with a merchant however.

A lot of merchants have stopped using the sites. They are billed as a way to draw new customers in to sample, and hope they become regulars. But in reality, their regular customers were the primary buyers of the deals, so all they were doing was losing money.
Not sure if folks know how these deals work. The merchant only gets about 30% of the money of the deal price. The remaining 70% goes to Groupon/Deal Chicken, whoever is selling the deal.

Our business is currently running a Groupon deal. We offer our service at 50% off and we then split that 50/50 with Groupon. Haven't had any customer service issues. Our deal included the stipulation that it was only for NEW clients, so it truly is only for bringing in new business.

Our business is currently running a Groupon deal. We offer our service at 50% off and we then split that 50/50 with Groupon. Haven't had any customer service issues. Our deal included the stipulation that it was only for NEW clients, so it truly is only for bringing in new business.

I've seen a few that say that but many that don't. And a stipulation such as new customers only would only work for services, not any kind of goods or restaurant which is al least half of what is posted here. I do hope it gets you some new clients! :goodvibes

I love Groupon and Amazon local. Use both all the time and never had a problem with either. I buy some goods but whenever the local bowling alleys have a deal, I grab as many as they allow.

I ordered two items from Groupon. They both took over two months to come in . One was a birthday gift and one a Christmas gift. Both did not come on time. They have a place to track orders but it never worked. I emailed groupon who basically said after 24 hours it is out of their hands . I will never order through groupon. Living social has better customer service from my experience.

Issue is stil unresolved. The vendor is a website, and the code they sent to redeem the groupon is expired. Once a day their site is "down for technical difficulties. Sorry, but I don't want a 6 month service that requires use of their website which they can't maintain. Groupon does not care. Its between me and the vendor that can't make the service work.

I actually work for the company that owns Deal Chicken. Our split is 50/50 between the merchant and Deal Chicken

I ordered two items from Groupon. They both took over two months to come in . One was a birthday gift and one a Christmas gift. Both did not come on time. They have a place to track orders but it never worked. I emailed groupon who basically said after 24 hours it is out of their hands . I will never order through groupon. Living social has better customer service from my experience.

I've made 2 or 3 purchases from Groupon, the goods came quickly, within a week. Living Social is hit or miss for me, sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad but Groupon, it's always been a hit for me. :)

Issue is stil unresolved. The vendor is a website, and the code they sent to redeem the groupon is expired. Once a day their site is "down for technical difficulties. Sorry, but I don't want a 6 month service that requires use of their website which they can't maintain. Groupon does not care. Its between me and the vendor that can't make the service work.

Have you tried to contact your payment method? I would assume you paid by cc, they may be of more help to you.

I've made 2 or 3 purchases from Groupon, the goods came quickly, within a week. Living Social is hit or miss for me, sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad but Groupon, it's always been a hit for me. :)

Have you tried to contact your payment method? I would assume you paid by cc, they may be of more help to you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, good idea!

I love groupon and living social. I have always had good luck with them. The few times I have not been able to use the groupon, they have always refunded my money.

Groupon has been in the news as a company in trouble. Since they went public they have had a hard time. A lot of good businesses are refusing to work with them, and aren't accepting previously purchased groupons because they haven't gotten their share.

I hardly ever buy Groupons anymore. So many are pretty restrictive and the online ones are usually a joke because you can find a promo/discount code that equals the same savings as buying the Groupon.

There was one for Coldstone recently in our area and I almost bought it before I looked at the locations. The only location you could use it as was on a military base (that you actually had to be military to get on).

I still keep my eye out hoping to get a good deal, but there's nothing like there used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter