What happened to direct flights?

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
I visit Disney about every couple years, which is for the most part the only time I fly.

This year, in scheduling a flight from Philadelphia to Orlando, Southwest had 13 flights everyday from "Philadelphia to Orlando", with only 3 direct. Most involved changing planes or more than one stop. This is for a 2.25 hour flight!

Other airlines had the same situation or were ridiculously expensive.

For those more attuned to travel and the industry, is this probably par for the course from here on out, or is this a temporary change in the industry?

I got a direct flight for my sister and I for a reasonable price through Southwest, so it worked out, but I got up at midnight to schedule and barely got it.

If this is the new norm, any tips for planning? For this August I looked as to when flights would be available, and was on and ready right on midnight.

I noticed the same thing when I booked my trip for September.

We fly from Hartford to Orlando, always on Southwest, and have generally always flown early morning to Orlando (first flight, 6am ish) and flown back on the last flight at night (9pm ish) and always take a non-stop. When I booked my September trip, there were only a couple non-stop flights, and they were all in the early afternoon. I don't want to fly into or leave WDW in the middle of the day because it kills my time in the parks! I did finally add a night to our trip, so flying down non-stop midday isn't so terrible, but for our flight back the last one at night involves a connection in Baltimore.

I'm hoping this isn't a permanent change.

I also have noticed that the five to seven daily, non stop flights from Detroit (Spirit) are now down to two. What gives? I also found that the other airlines are following suit.

I had my nonstop flight from Orlando to Cincinnati eliminated. I booked in January for October. This is on Delta. I had to scramble to rebook and now have a short layover in Detroit. I also get home several hours later.

Sadly this has been happening for a while now. We go a few times a year out of Philly and it seems every time
we book Southwest has fewer direct options.

I have the same thing when flying out of Grand Rapids Michigan. When Southwest started here a few years ago it was made to be such a huge deal, that they would have non stop flights to Orlando. They are down to 1 or 2 a week. And even worse, there are very few flights with only 1 stop, and those are very expensive. The majority of flights have 2 stops.

I have the same thing when flying out of Grand Rapids Michigan. When Southwest started here a few years ago it was made to be such a huge deal, that they would have non stop flights to Orlando. They are down to 1 or 2 a week. And even worse, there are very few flights with only 1 stop, and those are very expensive. The majority of flights have 2 stops.
Maybe this will change come December when Frontier comes back. Even though they don't fly every day, they are showing that ALL of their flights are non-stop to MCO. If SWA doesn't step up their game and either offer non-stop, or at least reasonably priced ONE stop flights, I will seriously consider using Frontier instead.

I hope so. BWI to TPA flights are so expensive and they are offering less non stops. In the spring, we see 149 on SW with less expensive flights with other airlines. They do have short layovers but SW was always our first choice. not so much anymore.

I know, it's crazy!! We are going in November. There are 9 flights to MCO on our arrival day, but none are nonstop. That is a Sunday. Apparently Saturday's the only day with ONE whole nonstop flight for the entire week. I don't get it! Maybe there's not enough demand? Doesn't seem like it, though, because those nonstop flights seem to sell out instantly.

I know, it's crazy!! We are going in November. There are 9 flights to MCO on our arrival day, but none are nonstop. That is a Sunday. Apparently Saturday's the only day with ONE whole nonstop flight for the entire week. I don't get it! Maybe there's not enough demand? Doesn't seem like it, though, because those nonstop flights seem to sell out instantly.
I'm flying on a Saturday in October...no non-stops that entire month! Our WDW stay also starts on Sunday, but there aren't any flights that land before 3pm, and that one departs at 7:30am! Ridiculous! I decided to fly out on Saturday night instead. It's a 3-hour layover in Chicago and doesn't land until 11:15pm, but at least we can get a good start on Sunday and won't waste an entire day just trying to get there.

Southwest is down to only one nonstop some days, EWR to MCO. Although SW was never big at EWR, it is still less than before.

I still booked, I got $60 each way in February. DD is going to WDW in January, she got $50 (!!) each way! I never thought I would see $50, the lowest I ever paid before this was $59 on Delta Song (man I loved Delta Song...)

SW started pulling back in Philadelphia a few years ago, in favor of Baltimore. It's hard to compete for business travelers in a Legacy Airlines hub (USAir/now American). Business travelers are the most profitable customers because they plan last minute and don't care if they have to pay more. They are also looking for first class benefits and International destinations. Orlando is more of a leisure market. They want to put their planes where they will make the most money.

I'm flying on a Saturday in October...no non-stops that entire month! Our WDW stay also starts on Sunday, but there aren't any flights that land before 3pm, and that one departs at 7:30am! Ridiculous! I decided to fly out on Saturday night instead. It's a 3-hour layover in Chicago and doesn't land until 11:15pm, but at least we can get a good start on Sunday and won't waste an entire day just trying to get there.

Our Sunday flight departs at 7:30 AM, but gets there at 12:30 PM. I am happy with that.
I would have gone for the Saturday nonstop flight, but my daughter's last end-of-season cross country team banquet is that night. Can't miss that!

Oh, and last September we went to Disney with an extended-family group of 13. No nonstop flights and we left on a Saturday. Also, we could not find anything under $400 round trip. UGH!

Southwest is down to only one nonstop some days, EWR to MCO. Although SW was never big at EWR, it is still less than before.

I still booked, I got $60 each way in February. DD is going to WDW in January, she got $50 (!!) each way! I never thought I would see $50, the lowest I ever paid before this was $59 on Delta Song (man I loved Delta Song...)

What the?? $100 or $120 round trip?? That's amazing!

What's wrong with three Southwest non-stops between PHL and MCO? Be glad that they're still flying the route at all.

They can make more money flying other routes.

There are about 10 to 12 flight per day between the cities. American, Frontier, and Spirit also fly the route non-stop. Too much competition for Southwest to offer more than their three.

Yes, it's the new norm. Don't expect it to change.

Our Sunday flight departs at 7:30 AM, but gets there at 12:30 PM. I am happy with that.
I would have gone for the Saturday nonstop flight, but my daughter's last end-of-season cross country team banquet is that night. Can't miss that!

Oh, and last September we went to Disney with an extended-family group of 13. No nonstop flights and we left on a Saturday. Also, we could not find anything under $400 round trip. UGH!

We are paying around $280 a person, which is the most I've ever paid.

We leave at 11 am on a Wednesday, and arrive at 4:45 pm, which isn't bad. Coming home on a Tuesday we leave at 10:30 am and arrive at 5:35 pm. I'm not happy with that, but it was the least offensive time. Otherwise the departures are all early, or you arrive home after midnight.

I have a feeling that with higher airfares, they aren't filling planes. So, they now make a stop along the way, in order to fill it up. I doubt this will change any time soon, unless people stop flying. But, it's the same out of Providence and Boston too. Although Boston still has more non-stop flights than Providence, by a longshot.

I had my nonstop flight from Orlando to Cincinnati eliminated. I booked in January for October. This is on Delta. I had to scramble to rebook and now have a short layover in Detroit. I also get home several hours later.
We are also flying out of Cincy and our flight down was eliminated and we were moved to an early flight. It seems like only two non stop flights out of Cincy now.

1) What happened to Direct Flights?
2) The same thing that happened to
. . . free luggage checking and/or carry-on
. . . free seat assignments
. . . free soft drinks and snacks (in Coach)
. . . free real-person reservation agents
3) Airline Profits.

We are also flying out of Cincy and our flight down was eliminated and we were moved to an early flight. It seems like only two non stop flights out of Cincy now.

We still have our non-stop flight down.

At least for the time being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter