What happened 3/20?

chunkygal

Mouseketeer
We have been members since 1995 and I go through spurts of being on the boards and not, but I get the feeling something big happened 3/20 and wondered what it was.

Thanks

That's when Disney changed the rules for buying direct or resale.Resale buyers lost some benefits that were not much of a value anyway.

Before 3/20 all members could trade out their points for use with the Disney Collections -- Disney hotels, cruise, adventure vacations, a set of hotels call concierge collection. Resale purchasers who purchase 3/20 or after are barred from using the Disney Collections.

To state it another way, points from contracts submitted for ROFR after 3/20/2011 may only be used to reserve DVC resorts or to make an exchange via RCI or the LBVTC.

Thanks! The savings are such that this can't matter that much. We used some for a cruise once, but it was not a great use of points. Otherwise too little value (hotel room) to do anyway.

What I think is interesting it that when we bought at HH, they told us they were not going to build any more (just OKW,
Vero and HH), they were only going to renovate existing properties, as building from scratch took too long, How things changed!

Just to clarify for other readers, for DVC owners who purchased prior to 3/20/2011 NOTHING changed. The changes apply only to purchases made after 3/20.

Also it's important to remember that, however you value those benefits, they are non-guaranteed perks of DVC ownership. They could be taken away from ANY DVC owners, including those who purchased direct from Disney, at any time.

We have been members since 1995 and I go through spurts of being on the boards and not, but I get the feeling something big happened 3/20 and wondered what it was.

Thanks

New resale purchasers can't use points for some options that old owners or people who buy from Disney can.

The only real effect for owners who owned before 3/20 is that the new policy could lower your resale value.

BTW, this is also true for owners who buy direct, but wish to sell in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter