What Happend to MGM????

MickeynMinnie

DIS Veteran
ok so i just returned from 7 wonderful days at Disney, but i need to vent for a minute....
I need to know what happened to MGM??? This used to be one of my FAVORITE parks and now I can't even spend a whole day there. With the Rock n Roll Rollercoaster down there isn't really anything to do at the park. We hit all the rides and was done by 1:00 pm. we ate some lunch did a couple of characters... and we were going to wait around for Fantasmic but just couldn't wait around anymore. we went back to the resort around 5 and got ready and went DTD. we went back to see fantasmic During EMHPM and then left The only ride we didn't go on was Star Tours because it gives me a really bad headache! I was REALLY dissapointed in the backlot tour. we got on the tram and then stopped in front of the canyon for a good 10 minutes. Not exactly sure why.. but we were stopped. this used to be one of my FAVORITE rides there... but now you don't get to see the houses!! it's really disapointing. Also we are not a fan of the stunt show. we saw it once and wasn't impressed. i'm just not sure when we go back that we would spend a whole day there. Anyone else feel that way??? :confused3 :sad1: .

Last year we had so much fun there that we are planning 2 days this coming trip. But this is where my kids fave characters are, so we spend alot of time in line. Power rangers, buzz, jojo. So for us it's all about the "playhouse disney" crowd!

Aw, I loved the Stunt Show!! I thought it was really cool... I can understand, though, how you feel about RnR being down! That's terrible!! But MGM is probably my favorite park... Yes, I, too, can remember a time when Backlot Tour didn't suck... But MGM still offers a LOT of good stuff!! I could easily spend an entire day there!!Especially with Tower of Terror, The Little Mermaid Show, Beauty & the Beast, Great Movie Ride, Drew Carey's Sound Stage, Muppet 3D, Indiana Jones, Sci-Fi, 50's Prime Time, RnR (though I know you didn't have that option), Star Tours (sorry it gives you a headache, I highly enjoy it!), the shops, the characters... And I know I didn't even cover it all!!! Every time my family goes, we plan on spending at least 2 days there! To each his own, I suppose.... :confused3

ok so i just returned from 7 wonderful days at Disney, but i need to vent for a minute....
I need to know what happened to MGM??? This used to be one of my FAVORITE parks and now I can't even spend a whole day there. With the Rock n Roll Rollercoaster down there isn't really anything to do at the park. We hit all the rides and was done by 1:00 pm. we ate some lunch did a couple of characters... and we were going to wait around for Fantasmic but just couldn't wait around anymore. we went back to the resort around 5 and got ready and went DTD. we went back to see fantasmic During EMHPM and then left The only ride we didn't go on was Star Tours because it gives me a really bad headache! I was REALLY dissapointed in the backlot tour. we got on the tram and then stopped in front of the canyon for a good 10 minutes. Not exactly sure why.. but we were stopped. this used to be one of my FAVORITE rides there... but now you don't get to see the houses!! it's really disapointing. Also we are not a fan of the stunt show. we saw it once and wasn't impressed. i'm just not sure when we go back that we would spend a whole day there. Anyone else feel that way??? :confused3 :sad1: .

Well, the houses are no longer there. They were torn down years ago (which IS disappointing).

I'm sure the park will see new life when they open up Toy Story Mania, but I personally am devastated that they have given up on using the soundstages for any production whatsoever.

I'm not into Tower of Terror or Rock 'n RollerCoaster personally, but I enjoy going on the Great Movie Ride, having lunch at the Sci Fi Dine In, catching the Muppets, etc. There are little things tucked away that are enjoyable...like props/costumes from current television programs inside the ABC Commissary. I'm honestly never disappointed when I go to that park, although I admit it isn't as exciting as it once was for me.

If you like Star Wars, try going on one of the Star Wars Weekends in May/June. That was the most fun I'd had at that park in a long time.

I wasn't the only one... everyone in line for the bus was saying how disapointed they were in MGM this time around... like i said it was one of my favorite parks.. But after this trip i can say that it's not. I hope that it changes!!! they had a Huge section blocked off ( where the toy story ride is going to be) and thats where the Mickey meet and greet was... one of my favorite meet and greets because he is dressed up like fantasia mickey... and now thats gone....i hope that stays the same or put somewhere else. we thought maybe it was just us... but when we heard everyone in line talking about it we knew it wasn't just us.

Disney Studios is our least favorite park. It is not worth going for a full day. I do like the Stunt Show myself, but other than RnR, Fantasmic, my kid wanting to see Muppets 3D, Backlot Tour & Hollywood and Vine, we just don't really find this park appealing. :(

We spent a full day there (okay, we took a few hours off for a nap), but we have little ones. MGM is awesome for little ones. We got to see the Doodlebops in concert, and then there is The little Mermaid, and Playhouse Disney along with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. The younger ones can also enjoy all the shows along with the Great Movie Ride and the Backlot Tour. So, I have to say for us, MGM is great! I really did miss the RNR, but it was only one ride down and there are so many other attractions, entertainers and shows.

I would have to say that MGM has never been my favorite park.. That being said it was even more disappointing this time around.. No RnR was tough.. If it not for the shows being 20-30 min long it would be hard to find things to do.. I loved that they had a meet and greet with Fantasia Mickey.. That is now GONE!! The Nardia thing is a joke and Sounds Dangerous is not much better and the backlot tour has lost most of its luster over the years (all in my opinion) .. The only things I truly enjoyed were One Man's Dream and Muppets.. That being said I hope that the Toy Story ride helps this park out because there was a bunch of people waiting in line for the bus and other lines that I talked to that said they were very disapointed in MGM.. One little kid said they were going back to MK because this place was BOGING.. That is scary to me that someone would say a Disney park is boring.. That is unheard of in my mind.. I hope for the best at MGM but i do know this. Next trip i might consider skiping this park all together.. It makes me very very sad to even think that..:sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

This past trip 9/13-9/23, DW and I both agreed that MGM is our least favorite park. We checked out the stunt show and were also not impressed. We went to the park twice during our trip but only for our child to get pictures with some of the characters. We were out of the park each day by 2 pm. and we rode everything we wanted a couple of times.

Have to agree. MGM has been in a slow state of decline for years now. The whole park really needs to be re-imagineered, as there isn't enough to fill a day there anymore. Toy Story Mania and Pixar Place should bring about a fresh change, but one major attraction is not going to turn the park around.

Bringing Lights, Motors, Action from Paris for the 50th celebration was nice, but once you see the show, there isn't a lot of "repeat value" in it; especially on a 98 degree day in an open theater area. Turn the place back into what it was supposed to be, a WORKING movie studio!

i totally agree....MGM is now the bottom of our list of the 4 parks...
there are still many great things here, but they've taken away so many of the good things, it's now like half a park....

we especially miss the hunchback of notre dame - we thought it was one of the finest productions ever done at WDW.....and we really dislike the new motor stunt show....get rid of that thing and give us back hunchback...

I think RNR is just being maintained ... not shutting down. Yes, Disney Studios (aka used to be MGM?? ...) is my least favorite park also. Not that we didn't enjoy it but it was hard to make all the shows. So we did miss alot. We are going back this time to catch what we missed.

But it does seem like a lot of space without much going on.

RNR, ToT and Beauty and the Beast show being my favs. Stunt Show was great but soooo long and too much time to get everyone in and out ... like a concert at a pavilion so I don't think that is a re-do.

IOW ... even though many like it, it appears to be needing an overhaul and maybe the Pixar association will bring back some magic. One can only hope.

I'm glad someone mentioned The Narnia "thing"....I mean, I understand Disney is a business, but it was basically a commercial for the upcoming Narnia movie...a movie trailer!...insulting to say the least....they've got lots of work to do at that park for sure.

It's a solid "half-day" park for us -- the only park we can do in such a short amount of time and be done for the trip with just the half day. DS is 9.5, so the little-kid stuff doesn't interest him anymore. We certainly enjoy the things we do and see in that half day -- we wouldn't skip it -- but it's the least appealing park for us.

It's almost as though Disney corp. has written it off as "Eisner's park" -- only in that they really haven't done with it what they could have, compared to what they've done in AK (which I would term the other new, non-Walt-planned park).

I think RNR is just being maintained ... not shutting down. Yes, Disney Studios (aka used to be MGM?? ...) is my least favorite park also. Not that we didn't enjoy it but it was hard to make all the shows. So we did miss alot. We are going back this time to catch what we missed.

But it does seem like a lot of space without much going on.

RNR, ToT and Beauty and the Beast show being my favs. Stunt Show was great but soooo long and too much time to get everyone in and out ... like a concert at a pavilion so I don't think that is a re-do.

IOW ... even though many like it, it appears to be needing an overhaul and maybe the Pixar association will bring back some magic. One can only hope.

I dident think MGM was that bad my least fav park was epcot

I TOTALLY AGREE!! We visited MGM in 1993 and loved it. THe backlot tour was great! We went back in 2004 and were totally disappointed. This year we will only spend a half day there and will ONLY do RnR, ToT, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Muppets 3D. Everything else, imho, isn't worth it.

I used to enjoy the park, but recently it seems outdated, and there isn't much to do. We went in February, and lasted maybe till 2:00. The kids were bored, the mermaid show wasn't playing, Star tours is good the only ride that my son wants to go on at the park( i find it a little boring now and really needs an update) Hopefully the toy story ride will make it a little more enjoyable. I told DS that we probably wouldn't go to MGM this time around when we go in March, and his reaction was ok we can spend more time at Epcot.

On the one hand, I cannot imagine anyone caring anymore where the 'outside' shot for Golden Girls was filmed, but what breaks my heart, and this is true of MGM and UO, is that they are no longer working studios. To me, to know that actual shooting was going on and animators were hard at work onsite, was a huge appeal of the park. Nowadays, it is less about the movie and tv industry and more about just making a few thrill rides, which I enjoy, but aren't the theme of the park.

I too used to enjoy this park, but we're skipping it this time. We've seen all the shows so many times that we're tired of them and altho I've done R&R and TOT I'm not a big thrill rider. There's just nothing we care to go and see/do this time. Don't care for the stunt show at all. I wish they would change out the shows every couple years.

Instead of going to MGM this trip we're spending more time exploring AK. There's so much there we haven't seen or done before. Yes, alot of repeats there too, but we've never taken the time to do the trails, some of the shows, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter