What Frugal Action Did You Take Today!?

I cooked supper at home - even though I really wanted pizza. DH drove home to our very small town instead of getting gas in the largest town in our county when he saw gas was $4.15 and it was $3.92:cool1: (His truck still took $100:scared:)

Free books for me.

Our town holds a Recycling Extravaganza each spring. Lots of items are dropped off for recycling, but my favorite is the books. Volunteers accept the books and put them out on tables, free for the taking. At the end of the morning, the unclaimed books get recycled.

I'll be there this morning picking up free reading material. (And, dropping off some of what I've already read).

Went grocery shopping on Thursday to get some food in the house for the weekend. If we don't have anything to cook going into the weekend we have a tendency to go out to eat. Since hubby won't eat fast food for dinner, that means a sit down meal with beers, tips, etc. Probably saved about $80.00 for 2 trips at sit down restaurants with our family of 4. :thumbsup2

Does mowing my own lawn count? Just finished, and boy do I hate doing it. But then I think about the exercise and the money I saved.

I was at the grocery this morning and really wanted pizza for lunch. So instead of stopping to get one I decided to make my own. Well the boboli crusts were way to expensive so I instead got our bakeries new precooked individual crusts and boy was it yummy. It was $1.79 for two vs $4.58 for 2. I will be buying the store ones from now on.

My DDs formula just changed packaging (and lost a few ounces in the process) today I found the old style (3 oz. larger package) on the store shelves and bought that instead of the spiffy new one. so 9 more oz total for same price

I've been avoiding a trip to Starbucks today (and for the past 2 weeks), had a can of latte from the supermarket fridge instead.
Then made up a big jug of iced cappuccino when I got home.

Shucks, I do miss my Dolce Gusto machine:guilty:

On top of that I didn't eat out and made up a batch of past with fresh veggies!

Went and got my toothpaste and razors from Wags and CVS that they paid me to take off of their shelves. (They had RR and ECB offers that made the items free to start with, and I combined coupons with the purchases)

Went with DH to his doctor's appointment today. Met with the billing department and asked for an adjustment on last month's bill. They made a mistake taking blood and labs and he had to come in again the next day so they could draw more for one test they'd forgotten. I politely said that I could understand human error and wasn't upset about him having to take off work, drive to the hospital, and go through the procedure again. But, it really didn't seem fair to charge us twice for their error. They agreed and credited our account.:goodvibes

We bought two baskets of tulips as part of decorating the church for Easter. Today I planted the bulbs outside--maybe they will come up again next year.

I went to townhall to pay them $8 to pickup our broken dishwasher and microwave for trash removal. The lady told me our local salvage recycler would pay me for it if I could get to them instead. I just called and they will pay me $11 per 100 lbs. Of course it won't be that much but I have some cans to take there anyway and it saves me the $8 trash fee!!!!!

Went to Rite-Aid on my lunch and got 4 packages of 45 ct. Dixie plates (B1G1free raincheck from last week and 2-$2 coupons); 3 boxes of Kelloggs cereal $1.99 each ($1 off 3 coupon); a $2 off total order of $10; and $1 coupon from last trip's receipt, total price $5.94!!:cool1::yay::dance3:

I worked outside all day in the yard and had no desire to cook dinner. I was so tempted to order out but gathered up my strength and cooked at home instead.

I refused to take the immediate solution and searched for a cheaper one.

I locked my keys in the car today (last time I did that was 31 years ago!)

Called a locksmith and got a quote of $29 travel fee plus labor cost to open lock. But they wouldn't give me any kind of rate or estimate on the labor cost.

So I kept calling until I found someone who opened the door for $5. Took me an extra 30 minutes of effort.

I cut up a watermelon I bought and put the slices in a big bowl in the fridge so the kids would be sure to eat it.

The other savings today were just luck. My DS's eardrums burst at school today and he had strep throat so I took him to the dr. expecting to pay our $20 copay. It turned out that at some point I overpaid them so I had a $14 credit and only had to pay $6.

Then when I took his prescriptions to the drugstore I was really scared how much they were going to cost because this insurance is new to us and I'm not clear on how the prescription payments work, plus the dr. wrote the one for his ear drops for a name brand. Well, they gave us generic for the ear drops so they were only $5.76 and we only had to pay $1.70 for amoxicillan! I was pleasantly surprised.

Lastly, DD started a summer bowling league, but she joined a youth/adult league instead of the usual youth league that we do. DH had told me to budget $18 for registration plus a $13 weekly fee. It turns out that this league doesn't charge the $18 registration fee, that's only for the youth one. :cool1:

I did two things today.

1. I spent the evening in instead of going out and then got some free DVDs from the library for cheap entertainment

2. I was really craving popcorn and was going to stop on the way home and grab microwave popcorn but instead I remembered reading something on the Dis about making your own microwave popcorn. I cam home and googled it and put 1/4 cup of kernals into a paper bag and popped for 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave. Cheaper and better for me than store bought

I did two things today.

1. I spent the evening in instead of going out and then got some free DVDs from the library for cheap entertainment

2. I was really craving popcorn and was going to stop on the way home and grab microwave popcorn but instead I remembered reading something on the Dis about making your own microwave popcorn. I cam home and googled it and put 1/4 cup of kernals into a paper bag and popped for 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave. Cheaper and better for me than store bought

I use that phrase so often! ...I remember reading something on the DIS about... :)

I colored my own hair today... first I went to get my hair cut and then colored it at home AFTER the haircut.

Used John Frieda foam hair color that I bought at Target for $2.48. I used a $5 manufacturer and a $5 Target coupon that brought this 12 dollar hair color down to 2.48. (Great product too.. I'd probably pay *GASP* full price for this)

I called the company that makes Boost Glucose Control and asked them to send me some coupons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter