What foods/drinks are you a snob about?

I will not buy ANYTHING with HFCS listed on the ingredients... except, once in a blue moon, a Dr Pepper. It's an old addiction that I have mostly kicked, but sometimes, watching a movie or playing games, I just gotta have me a Pepper.

Same with MSG. I am actually kind of a compulsive label reader.

Spaghetti sauce is my biggest "Snob" issue. I will not buy jarred, I make my own in big batches, and freeze half for later use.

My other issue is not so much "snobbishness" but a flavor/texture issue. I abhor onions and bell peppers of any kind. So if I buy a grocery store food like a frozen meal, or a soup (very rarely, most canned soups are crap, I make those homemade too) I have to read the ingredients to make sure someone isn't slipping onions in on me. For this same reason, salsa and I DO NOT get along. I like the jarred La Victoria smooth red Taco sauce - no chunks.

I pretty much just make everything homemade. I control what goes in it that way.

ETA: Butter, real butter. Margarine does not darken our doorsteps.

I lied about my ketchup it's hunts not heintz. Now I'm really in the minority. (I was the hate Duke mayo). If my breads not soft (fresh) I have to toast it. I also like pepsi, but not in a can. (it taste strange to me, but I like coke in a can, esp. chilled in a cooler). Dr. Pepper is my favorite and I have finally found a sort of diet drink Dr. Pepper Ten. I know I shouldn't use artifical sweeteners, but splenda is the only one I like. But meat is a problem for me, because it has to be cooked as in done (very, very done). Which is hard to do and still be good. I use a crock pot.

I will not buy ANYTHING with HFCS listed on the ingredients... except, once in a blue moon, a Dr Pepper. It's an old addiction that I have mostly kicked, but sometimes, watching a movie or playing games, I just gotta have me a Pepper.

Same with MSG. I am actually kind of a compulsive label reader.

Spaghetti sauce is my biggest "Snob" issue. I will not buy jarred, I make my own in big batches, and freeze half for later use.

My other issue is not so much "snobbishness" but a flavor/texture issue. I abhor onions and bell peppers of any kind. So if I buy a grocery store food like a frozen meal, or a soup (very rarely, most canned soups are crap, I make those homemade too) I have to read the ingredients to make sure someone isn't slipping onions in on me. For this same reason, salsa and I DO NOT get along. I like the jarred La Victoria smooth red Taco sauce - no chunks.

I pretty much just make everything homemade. I control what goes in it that way.

ETA: Butter, real butter. Margarine does not darken our doorsteps.

I'm the same way with HFCS. The only time I have anything with HFCS is if I drink 7up. With my stomach prelims, 7up is a staple when I am on a liquid diet because it helps to settle my stomach (I can't have ginger ale becaus epi am allergic to ginger).

The only problem with avoiding HFCS is that a lot of naturally sweetened things are sweetened with honey which I am allergic to as well.

You can buy real maple syrup anywhere. I just bought a bottle at Target yesterday and they actually now carry two grades (medium and dark).

I grew up on Mrs. Butterworth's--never even knew about real syrup. But I prefer it now. But be prepared that it is much thinner and won't *sit* on top of your pancake because it is thin. I also don't think it's as sweet (but that's probably just because it's thinner but it's plenty sweet). While it's still pure sugar, I've heard that pure maple syrup does contain antioxidants to some degree and, hey, every little bit helps, right?

My Wife had a strange childhood. Her parents gave the kids Karo syrup for their pancakes. She knew no better. Her Dad brought home ground beef from his test lab to feed them.

She was a vegetarian when we met. The only "steak" she had ever experienced was at Ponderosa. I fixed that real quick.

Don't know what HFCS is, but MSG goes straight through DW. So, we avoid that like the plague :lmao:

Don't know what HFCS is, but MSG goes straight through DW. So, we avoid that like the plague :lmao:

High Fructose Corn Syrup I think.

Only things I am picky about are coffee and chocolate. I like good coffee and good chocolate. :goodvibes Wait, my husband just corrected me, I am also picky about produce. I LOVE Whole Foods even though it is pricey. I love good fresh produce! The regular supermarket near me never has good in season fruit.

Salmon. I grew up in ak., eating the richest king & silver salmon. I think Atlantic is the worst, but most salmons are sub par.

DH will only drink good European red wines, preferably Spanish.

Me. . .hmmm. There are some things I like best from particular places, for example, Boudin Balls are really only good when they're from Southwest or South Central Louisiana ONLY. I love Buttermilk Drop donuts, always get those from Tastee (they're on the way home from NOLA). Coffee is best when it's Community or River Road. (The owners of River Road seem to be nicer people, so given the choice, I prefer River Road, but it's easier to get Community and River Road doesn't make K-cups.) For home cooking/soul food, I want Southwest Louisiana recipes ONLY. Mississippi, North Louisiana, Southeast Louisiana etc. just are NOT the same combinations of flavor profiles and the same mix of cultures; even if 80% of the recipes are the same; it's the 20% difference that is telling!

But, to be honest, I will eat just about anything and enjoy it, including Boudin Balls from a restaurant here in BTR, coffee from Folger's, and home cooking in Alabama.

Except for things with chocolate. That's nasty and gross, I don't care what culture created the recipe. :crazy2:

cheese and fish
i will not eat frozen fish, i like fresh- in season fish. prepackaged grocery store cheese tastes like rubber, i don't even want to know what is added to it..

As a former Marylander..I'm a crabcake SNOB.... VERY few places get a crabcake right.

Pizza. I live in the most segregated part of the country, no not the south, NYC Metro. In my town it is 97% Caucasian and if you cross this particular street, the price houses drop $100,000. Anyways, I live in a community that is 90% Italian /Irish even though I am not Italian or Irish! They make the most amazing pizza here, and I'm sorry, I vomit when eating Pizza anywhere else, especially in the South, and WDW is no exception. The pizza is better here no matter what. Also, NYC Metro, Jewish side of this metro, very good bagels. Will never eat frozen bagels.

We eat pretty much everything generic. There are a very few exceptions.
oranges - ONLY Cuties. The Clementines are gross.

You DO realize that "Cuties" are clementines in the fall, right?

"Cuties" is a marketing brand for California citrus growers. The trick is that the fruit being marketed under the name can be any one of three citrus varieties, depending on the time of year that you buy it.

In fall, for the Christmas season, "Cuties" are clementine mandarins. In spring, they may be either of two mandarin varieties: either Murcott or Tango, but usually Murcott.

Thank you for that. My DH and I have been trying to figure out what exactly cuties were. We finally decided it was another name for manse robe oranges when someone else added clementines to the mix last week. Your timing was impeccable.

Pizza. I live in the most segregated part of the country, no not the south, NYC Metro. In my town it is 97% Caucasian and if you cross this particular street, the price houses drop $100,000. Anyways, I live in a community that is 90% Italian /Irish even though I am not Italian or Irish! They make the most amazing pizza here, and I'm sorry, I vomit when eating Pizza anywhere else, especially in the South, and WDW is no exception. The pizza is better here no matter what. Also, NYC Metro, Jewish side of this metro, very good bagels. Will never eat frozen bagels.

:lmao:

When I told people about the segregation in NY when I moved South they thought I was kidding. Then I'd tell them "where was All in the Family based??" :rotfl:

The only difference is in the north they SELF segregated years ago and it continued to the present day because people don't move mich in NY.

I had to get used to the bagels and pizza down here but luckily some real pizza makers moved to Atlanta and it's a blessing to find a REAL pizza here!:thumbsup2

I don't look at most of the choices people posted as being snobby but rather simply brand loyal. It's what companies count on. A person saying they're a food snob because they only eat Prego sauce and Del Monte canned fruit would make a real gourmet chuckle.

Pretty much.

I am not really a food snob, beyond I try to avoid heavily processed foods. The less ingredients, the better.

That sounds exactly the the town in which I grew up! I agree with all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter