What food to ship or NOT to ship to Disney? Advice Greatly Appreciated!!!

mkwdrs

Earning My Ears
First off, what is the process of pre-shipping something to a resort before you arrive for your stay?

We have a room only reservation and will use Magical Express, so we will not have a rental car. To reduce our food expense, we want to either carry some food in our carry on luggage or ship down a UPS package of snacks.

My main question is, what food should we not ship via UPS if we go that route? I assume that canned or bottled drinks would be a no-no and fruit. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Or is ther another option such as a store that would deliver food and drinks at a reasonalbe price?

Thanks In Advance

I am leaving today and I have ordered from Garden Grocer. Their prices are not bad and they will deliver to your resort. I think with the shipping charges and time frame of when to ship this is a better way to go. I have read all good things from the people who have used them before. Look at their website as this is another way to go. www.gardengrocer.com

What we ship to ourselves using UPS:

In a semi-large plastic container (cheap one from Walmart/Target), to also use at WDW to store 'food' items' away from any bugs, which we toss out before we come home....

Fruit Roll Ups
Gum (for plane ride home)
Cereal boxes
Coffee & Tea bags
Granola Bars
Plasic bowls, cups and utensils.
One sharp paring knife (to be tossed out after our stay at WDW)

We order the Boutiful Fruit Basket from the WDW Florist.
"Cradled in a whimsical Mickey head basket you will find a variety of fresh fruit to satisfy and optimize your health. $61.00"

http://www.disneyflorist.com/advanced_search.html?keywords=fruit&Submit.x=16&Submit.y=12

We also buy water bottles at the food store stop - we use a town car service from the airport to our resort with the food store stop option.

I hope the above helps.

We ship cereals, candy bars, chips, cookies, cereal, pop corn to pop in the microwave at the food court coffee and coffee pot, because the coffee in the food court is terible. we bring the coffee pot back in our suitcase. Dont have to ship utensils, get them at the food court, get your coffee cream, milk, ketchup, mayonaise, butter for toast, jelly for toast at the food court. if you want bread ask one of the food court people for a loaf of bread instead of buying 2 slices in the food court area. ship a fold up cooler, like the ones you get free when you buy beer. Plenty of iceat the resort. If you are flying
buy small cooler lunch type, and two small freezer packets. pack your cheese, ham, salami. 1 lb of each will fit in the lunch cooler, freeze the cheese overnight and freeze the cooler packs, place all in the small cooler.
put it in your carryone, it will stay frozen long after you arrive at your resort.

I always ship a box down to the resort using UPS. I can track it and see who signed for it. When I arrive it is waiting for me at the front desk and bell services brings it to my room for me. It's great and so easy! Anyway this is what I put in the box:
all our toiletries
pins/lanyards mickey hats for the kids
small toys, colored pencils and paper for the kids
flip flops, crocs
cereal
granola bars
pop tarts
mini muffins(hostess)
snacks like gold fish, cookies, etc..
drink boxes
bottled water
cans of Pepsi, Sprite and root beer
gum
napkins
straws
a smaller box to ship stuff back home along with packing tape and a sharpie marker

With the liquids, I put them in ziplock back then a grocery store plastic bag, then in the bottom of the box.(I use a regular cardboard box) I have never had a problem, all my items arrive in perfect condition. Also, it has never cost me more than $20 to ship it there!

If you decide to take food in your carry-on luggage you need to check the TSA website for current guidelines of what is permitted.

Do I need to put anything on the shipping label or box so that Poly knows to hold it for a guest? Maybe the confirmation # or something like that?

We just shipped a pkg with our toiletries so we could travel with carry-ons only. We addressed it to ourselves at the resort and then in large print in the corner of the box I put "Hold For Check-in" and the date. It was waiting for us when we arrived.

Be careful though when shipping toiletries, UPS won't take anything containing alcohol that could be flammable (hair spray, spray sunscreen, mouthwash, etc).

We've also used WeGoShop.com for grocery deliveries and have loved their service.

One thing we did this year was we actually got a box and filled it with food and other items we were planning on shipping and checked it as a piece of luggage on the plane. (We flew Southwest so there were no extra charges even!) Just make sure if anything is liquid put it in a zip lock bag in case of leaks. Magical express delivered it right to our room along with the rest of our luggage. Just take all of the sticker backing off your yellow magical express tag and stick it right onto the box. I also wrote our name and phone information just like on a normal piece of luggage in case it was lost. Depending on how much weight you have in your box it may be less expensive to do as a second piece of checked luggage on another air carrier. You can have up to 50 pounds I think for luggage, and 50 pounds via UPS may be more than the second bag fee.

We are staying at CSR 11/9-15. Planning on purchasing a case of bottled water online at COSTCO. It's around $6-7 including shipping and will be at the resort when we arrive!
I read about it through the disboards and it seems that this is a very popular thing to do. They probably have other snacks as well, but we will just need the water. Room has a pretty good sized fridge to keep it in.
Good luck.princess:

i've done this on many trips and always just address to myself with "guest checking in" and my check in date with the hotel name and address. ups and the post office have a calculator to figure out the right day to ship your box. i usually get away with a box that comes to about $15-$20 to ship. i always have the box arrive a day or 2 before i do and inquire when i check in. bell services has always brought it to my room.

i ship:

small case of mini waters
juice boxes
cereal cups
granola bars
plastic spoons and plates
peanut butter & jelly
bread ( i just place in tuppeware container and double wrap to stay fresh)
individual bags of pretels, chips, etc.
100 calorie bags of cookies and other snacks

with the kids it saves me time on not fussing for breakfast or lunch when hanging at the pool.

I didn't ship anything to us, but I did order water through Costco and had it delivered and it was waiting for us when we got there. I also packed in our suitcases, PopTarts, Cookies, Fruit Snacks, YoGo's & Juice Boxes (wrapped in plastic bags). Everything made is in one piece and no explositions in our suitcases. LOL It definately helped out saving some money and not using up our snack or dining credits on the DDP.

I ship extra medicine, cereal, popcorn, extra shoes and anything else that I don't want taking up suitcase space. We also order a case of water from Costco.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter