What food (s) to bring grieving neighbors?

I like the sandwich makings and breakfast foods idea also.

Side note: One of my most vivid memories from when my mom passed away was walking into her house (flew in from out of state) and the huge dining room table was literally covered with bundt cakes that friends and neighbors had brought over. It was just the oddest thing and every time I see a bundt cake I think "cake of death".

I haven't read through the responses, but I found that paper goods (plates, napkins, plastic utensils), a pack of toilet tissue, rolls of paper towels, and bottled drinks (water, Cokes, tea, etc) was very much appreciated. You might also think about items for sandwiches: deli meat and cheese, bread, chips, etc.

I know Op has already brought her items to the family, but I wanted to add...

When my father died suddenly when I was a teen (the oldest of 4 kids) I will never forget the family that brought over a styrofoam cooler filled with ice and sodas. That was such a welcome sight! Now I would include bottled waters and juice boxes if there were kids around. There just never seems to be enough room in the fridge especially when others are bringing over lots of food.

Also, when DHs step father died last year one of the first items to be eaten were chicken biscuits made by the local gas station of all places (they have delicious chicken biscuit sandwiches in their deli). These are easy items to eat any time of the day. Another well enjoyed item was the case of beer and fruity alcoholic beverages for after the funeral when people came back to the house and just wanted to relax.

Love the cold cut/sandwich fixings, fresh fruit and paper products ideas too.

When my neighbours sister died, I cooked a large piece of peameal bacon just as you would cook a roast, I also did homefried potatoes.
I do agree with the others too who have suggested the disposible plates and cutlery.
I know when my Mom passed away a friend of mine gave us a gift card for Swiss Chalet and that was wonderful.
I have also done that and it is much appreciated

I usually send a large Edible Arrangement as most people like fruit, and with these, they're all prepared and it can be served throughout the day.

When my grandpa died someone brought a large tray of cookies. My mom has commented many times over the last 30 years how nice it was. There were 14 grandkids ranging in ages from 1 yr to 13, and whenever one of us needed something to snack on, the cookies were easy for my mom and aunts to grab and hand us.

On a related note, the women my mom worked with bake cookies, cakes, and pies and send them over when someone passes away. Again, these are easy to serve up when someone stops by, and also they are comfort foods for many people.

I know when my now MIL passed my parents sent a fruit basket at my request since I was anti flowers knowing I'd be one ending up with them. I do know the fruit basket looked funny at FH but sure disappeared fast at gathering house ( Dh's Aunt/Uncle).
When my Mother passed I was in my own lil zone and off seeing friends, visting favorite places in hometown, granted I was on way up to parent's house when I got news mom had passed, had been planning "good bye" trip. I do remember stopping at grocery store but don't remember for what.

When my brother died, we had HUNDREDS of people coming and going. We had more food than we could possibly eat. Lots of it got tossed daily.

But things we had to send people after were toliet paper and deoderant and hand soap and trash bags.

Think of all the people in a large family/close knit community in ONE house for days on end.

Another thoughtful gift was stamps for the hundereds of thank you notes.

My advice: don't take food if you know others are. Go over and do a load of towles, mop the floor, load the dishwasher, clean the bathroom....
And you can never have enough bottled water....
These are great ideas too!:thumbsup2

If you know lots of food is being delivered I'd do something else, at least for right now.

If it were my neighbors I'd ask when I could be there to watch the house, prep for the repast or do anything else helpful like that. I'd also offer to clean, especially if they're having company. If it's too late for that, when you see their company is gone, go over and prepared to wash dishes or ask to take their dirty linens to your house to wash.

I would take food over after a few weeks. No doubt they will be grieving for quite some time to come. Show up next month with some grilled chicken already sliced, some prepped romaine lettuce, a baggie of parm cheese and croutons and a nice caesar dressing. Or the grilled chicken with some baby romaine or field greens, a homemade sweet vinaigrette, and a baggie of almonds or walnuts and some dried cranberries.

So sorry for their loss.

As PP have stated, if you know there are a lot of people bringing food right now, hold off a few weeks. When Momma died, everyone wanted to do somethign RIGHT THEN. And it was appreciated, but overwhelming. Those who waited a few weeks were much more helpful in a lot of ways. (We sent a LOT of food to the local soup kitchens that first week.) If there don't seem to be many bringing items, I'd lean towards breakfast or snackable items, rather than a full meal.

I always do the paper products and water, too, but sometimes put in a box of Ritz Bits with cheese or peanut butter in case young children are present. Quick protein snacks can be a life-saver for the parents!

I'm so sorry for your neighbors loss!

I think lasagna sounds good, though I agree with you about spicy foods, some people just don't like or can't eat really spicy things, but I've never considered lasagna to be spicy.

My Father died last month and we had several of us at my parents house staying. Breakfast items able to be eaten quickly (muffins, bisquits, homemade jams) were the best we received.

We also liked the rice and protein dishes....they heated up well and everyone liked or could eat them. Ham slices and deli meat was also a life saver...along with the plastic cups, plates and utensils, made clean up quick.

I'm so sorry for your neighbors loss!

I think lasagna sounds good, though I agree with you about spicy foods, some people just don't like or can't eat really spicy things, but I've never considered lasagna to be spicy.

I think the issue with lasagna for some people (like me) is the tomato sauce can be acidic for some, and of course, there is always those who are lactose intolerant too....hard to please everyone, I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter