• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What food is your state/home known for? How do you make it?

Disneyfan754321

DIS Veteran
We are trying new recipes from around the US and world. My kids are learning about the area right down to local favorites. What are some things we should try?

New Hampshire.

Anything with real maple syrup. A little goes a long way. Pour over ice cream (vanilla is best), add crushed walnuts and real whipped cream yum!

Lobster rolls are a seacoast specialty (we have 11 miles of coastline). Mix a little good mayo with fresh Gulf of Maine lobster meat and blend. Grill hot dog rolls in real butter on both sides (must be the hot dog rolls with crust on top only). Place lobster mix in roll and enjoy!

Last edited:

Crab cakes - I make them the usual/basic way
ham & oyster dinners - can't get w/ oysters
turtle soup - I favor Robert Irvines recipe but there are some great regional and old recipes
camp soup - half cream of crab soup, half maryland crab soup
and of course, the super regional muskrat - I've only made it once, stewed it. Didn't eat it....one & done for me

You could make the Rochester specialty - a garbage plate. It is 2 hamburgers or cheeseburgers or 2 zweigle hots (red or white) with macaroni salad, fried potatoes or baked beans with meat hot sauce on top. We do not like onions so no onions for us. 554842

Looks terrible but tastes awesome.

So many good foods from our region!

Red beans and rice-tradionally made on Monday, which was wash day- there's some history for you! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.food.com/amp/recipe/crescent-city-red-beans-rice-crock-pot-373619

King cake-enjoyed from Epiphany to Mardi Gras- another story to research why
Boiled seafood, crawfish, shrimp, crabs
Jambalaya
Gumbo- seafood or chicken and sausage gumbo is an African word for okra, which is an ingredient. https://www.southernfoodways.org/interview/a-short-history-of-gumbo/

Wash any of these down with a Barq's rootbeer in a glass bottle barqs rootbeer is native to this area with history in New Orleans and Biloxi

You might be interested in books or articles on Google by John T Edge. A writer and southern food historian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Edge

Last edited:
You could make the Rochester specialty - a garbage plate. It is 2 hamburgers or cheeseburgers or 2 zweigle hots (red or white) with macaroni salad, fried potatoes or baked beans with meat hot sauce on top. We do not like onions so no onions for us. View attachment 554842

Looks terrible but tastes awesome.

WNY'er here... a couple weeks ago I had a garbage plate with tots, fingers, bacon, cheese, Frank's, and ranch. First and last time I'll have a garbage plate. Was great for about 2/3 of it and then it was just too much of the same flavors and made me sick later.

Arizona’s only official state food is its state fish, the Apache trout. However, the state does have some unofficial state foods, in particular the chimichanga

Scrapple, and I *really* don't want to know how they make it. I like it sliced thin, fried in butter, on a kaiser roll with a fried egg and some cream cheese. Yes, it's a heart attack on a plate, which is why I only indulge once in a while.

Cheesesteaks. I've never eaten a good cheesesteak made at home, you have to go to a good cheesesteak joint. Pat's and Geno's are tourist traps. When I'm back in the old neighborhood I go to a place near my sister's house, Uncle Oogie's.

Soft pretzels, real Philadelphia soft pretzels, not the Super Pretzels or whatever they're called. With lots of salt and spicy mustard. Federal Baking Company makes good ones. Have a soft pretzel with another Philly thing, a water ice. A cherry water ice.

Jucy Lucy, Two very thin beef patties with american cheese between them. Fried on a flat top until the burgers are done and the cheese inside is molten lava. http://mattsbar.com/ is the home of the original. It is where I took my wife on our first date and the only restaurant in Minneapolis I still go to everytime I go back.

Oh I have another I just thought of...
Whistle Pigs.
Its a hot dog sliced down the middle with a piece of American cheese, and a piece of bacon. Served on a bun. It really is amazing!

I grew up in the midwest, home of giant pork tenderloin sandwiches. I can't get them in FL, so I make my own.
Get a bunch of those small boneless pork chops and have your butcher run them through the tenderizer about 3 times so they're really thin.
Dip them in egg, then crushed saltines. Deep fry for a minute or two until golden brown and delicious. Serve on a comically small bun with pickles and mustard.

Alberta AAA beef. Recipe:

Bring home a beautiful 16oz. rib eye
Grill, broil or panfry to mid-rare
Enjoy! :tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter