What flavor cake at a BBQ?

JLiz

Mouseketeer
I’m hosting a BBQ tomorrow for some friends and family and I can’t decide on the type of cake to make for dessert. I’m leaning towards chocolate cake with chocolate frosting as it’s my DH, DD, and my favorite but I just made that last weekend. So, I’m also considering a lime scented vanilla cake with lime/vanilla frosting and sliced strawberries arranged on top.

I’m serving standard BBQ dishes:
Smoked brisket
Smoked chicken
Mayonnaise based potato salad
Vinegar based cole slaw
Baked beans
Garlic bread

A couple of caveats: it really has to be cake because my DD can’t have gluten or dairy. I’ve gotten really good at making gf/df cake and frosting but I’m not experienced enough at this new baking style to make pies, cobblers, etc. I do make great gf/df cookies, but cookies don’t seem to have the same celebratory vibe that a cake does.

Any suggestions?

I've decided that we must always have cake in our house -- stressful 2 weeks and I've thrown care to the wind!

We've had carrot cake and chocolate which like you is a family favorite.

Your lime cake sounds good and that'swhat I'd go with.

Our next cake will be apple spice cake.

I think you go with chocolate. Gotta have something with big flavor on the heels of a spicy bbq meal.:)

I still say something lighter.
A light meal leaves room to finish with a heavy dessert.
A heavy and more strongly flavored meal might best be finishes with a lighter dessert, in both weight and flavor.

I prefer lighter desserts after BBQ so I would gravitate towards the lime as a preference, likely wouldn't say no to chocolate cake though to be honest.

That lime cake sounds like the PERFECT counter balance, and also, delicious. Living in a house where even the kids don't really care about chocolate (they'll fight you for Starburst though), that just sounds SO rich with all the rich and yummy main foods. Have a great time most importantly:)

Yeah, that lime strawberry one sounds really good. Honestly though, I would make both!

Cake is frosted and I’ll add the sliced strawberries right before the guests arrive.

I just started to smoke the brisket and I’ll check on it every hour or two throughout the night, adding coals and wood when needed. It’ll take 12 to 14 hours. The chicken will go on in the morning, since it doesn’t take as long to smoke.

Jello poke cake is always good in the summer.

I’ve never had jello poke cake so I looked up the recipe. What is the texture like? Does it gel? Or is it just very moist like tres leches?

I don’t think gf cake has the structural integrity to stand up that much moisture.

Yeah, GF is a whole different ballgame. Maybe try a poke cake for your family some time--if it falls apart, you can call it a trifle. OTOH, if it does hold together, there are a bunch of types of poke cakes, including ones with alcohol, if you're so inclined. Just watch out for the dairy ones (many of them use pudding versus jello).

Good luck with your barbecue!

If my daughter was limited in thE treats she could have I'd make her favorite cake and maybe supplement with a store bought dessert for others.

So, if I'm making a chocolate cake I'd buy sugar cookies for others or have a fruit salad with whipped topping.

So, about an hour before the party started I freaked out thinking there wasn’t enough dessert and quickly whipped up a batch of brownies. I’m glad I did, as all of the brownies and all save one slice of the lime cake was eaten. It was a great meal and a great day filled with people I love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter