What exactly is going on at DTD?

AWish

Mouseketeer
I'm reading that there's contruction/reno at downtown disney.
What exactly is under construction? When is target completion date?

Might as well start calling it Disney Springs. Some parking signs already say "Disney Springs" on it.

I think "Disney Springs" is a dumb name. Downtown Disney is perfect. When I hear the term "springs" I don't think of stores, restaurants and shows.

And those parking signs will have a price on them when the time comes

"How will parking at Disney Springs work?

There will be two multi-level parking structures built, one on the Marketplace side, and one of the West Side. This will give a total parking space of around 6000 spaces. There will be no charge for parking."

That was a quote from one of these links:

And those parking signs will have a price on them when the time comes

You sure seem certain of this. Either way, by the time we know the actual answer you'll have a lot of posts saying either the correct thing or the wrong thing. ;)

I hope they do put a price on parking for those not staying at a Disney resort, then people will not use it for theme park parking. Do it like Disneyland - give 3 hours free, 5 hours with a validation.

We're big fans of DisneyQuest (for my DS10, he LOVES it) and go multiple times during a trip. Is it true that DTD buses now only stop at the opposite end of DTD from DQ? Is there still the ferry to the other side? Thanks.

(We may rent a car--we usually drive and are flying this time--but it sounds like the parking situation isn't any better than bussing right now.)

I hope they do put a price on parking for those not staying at a Disney resort, then people will not use it for theme park parking. Do it like Disneyland - give 3 hours free, 5 hours with a validation.

I doubt many people are parking at DTD in order to go to the parks since there aren't any direct buses between DTD and the parks.

We're big fans of DisneyQuest (for my DS10, he LOVES it) and go multiple times during a trip. Is it true that DTD buses now only stop at the opposite end of DTD from DQ? Is there still the ferry to the other side? Thanks.

(We may rent a car--we usually drive and are flying this time--but it sounds like the parking situation isn't any better than bussing right now.)

It is true that the DTD buses only stop at the end opposite of DQ. The ferry still travels to the DQ side of DTD.

Right now there's no boat service from the east side (Marketplace). That dock is closed. (New dock opening in "Fall".) There is the dock at Pleasure Island (center DTD) and the west side (House of Blues). I read recently that west side Bus Service had been discontinued due to parking garage construction. And Disney plans to move all bus service to the center parking lot area, approx in front of Planet Hollywood (if I correctly remember an article I read recently). But, sorry, I don't know the present status of bus service to DTD. Wish I knew a single source for comprehensive DTD construction news and updates, including parking and bus service.

I doubt many people are parking at DTD in order to go to the parks since there aren't any direct buses between DTD and the parks.

There have been many reports of the SSR busses being crowded because people walk from DTD to catch the bus to the parks. Maybe not recently since the walkway has been closed but once that is open again, it will be happening.

You sure seem certain of this. Either way, by the time we know the actual answer you'll have a lot of posts saying either the correct thing or the wrong thing. ;)

Cast your votes now.

Personally, I'm going to say parking will remain free.

Then on another thread, I'll say they are going charge. That way, later I can point to the post with the correct answer and say I was right. ;)

I think parking will remain free....I'm pretty sure DTD/DS relies pretty well on locals—resort guests mainly couldnt support that big of an area. Plus, didnt they mention on the last podcast that they are bringing in shops from overseas and those not avail in USA yet? I thin that will be a big draw away from the local mall.

Spoke at lenght with a transportation CM about this.
1. Parking will be free for those staying on-site
2. All parking tickets will be validated WITH PURCHASE in a DTD (DS?) store or dining establishment, and therefore free, but...no money spent...you will pay to park

He stated that there were HUGE numbers of people staying offsite and parking there for free, then jumping on buses to get to the parks. This can only be stopped if a fee is charged for those not actually spending money at DTD. He also stated that one of the garages will be run by OC

Just reporting what I was told.

Anne

Just want to 2nd the vote that Disney Springs is a dumb name. The name was not the problem at Downtown Disney. Then again, if you ask me, things were perfectly fine as is until about 7 years ago.

It's funny how people pick up ideas about what's going on. An acquaintance who's also a big WDW fan, but who's not the kind of diligent keener who would get details from online forums/blogs or buy a current guidebook, told me:

"Did you hear that they're building a new theme park at Disney? It's called Disney Springs."

I liked Hyperion Wharf. Not a fan of Disney Springs. I will never understand why they don't name things to avoid confusion. Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach/Beach Club, now Disney Springs next to Saratoga Springs. I have been surprised by the amount of people confused with the term Downtown Disney. Many new guests think it's in downtown Orlando, not on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter