What Does The Majority Think re: Prices

If we're talking majority of american vacationers: they don't think anything of it, positive or negative. Disney already has the reputation of being very pricey. Before I started traveling to WDW annually (within the past few years), the only people I knew that had been to Disney were day travelers that happened to be near Orlando. I didn't know any Disney families.

The orices don't really bother me. It's just expected that orices will increase every year. I started going to the outer banks about 10 years ago twice a year. The house rent has risen so much in that time that it's now only once a year.

While we went to Disney two years ago (and a couple times as a kid) we went back just recently. I really think it's going to become a once every 2 or 3 year thing. It's too much to go every year, but so much fun I'll save and when we have enough we will go. I figure if I save a little a month ($100 minimum) it'll make it much more doable when the time comes (that's what we did the last two years in between and it was mostly paid for).

So, I guess I'm saying EVERYTHING goes up a lot and if you're smart you can still go. If I'd take out my yearly beach vacation I could go ever year, but I choose not to do that.

I agree that the price increases in and of themselves are not the issue for us. Disney is an expensive vacation and we know that and are prepared for it when we go. I think there are many different ways to have a Disney vacation (i.e., staying offsite, packing food, limited park time), but the immersive experience of staying on property, eating at TS restaurants and buying multiday tickets just IS an expensive vacation!

The parks do seem to be more crowded than they ever have been, and I understand the logic behind the ongoing price increases. But for us, we need to see value that matches. Disney has every right to raise their prices and maximize their profits, and it is our decision as to whether those prices are first, something we can afford and second, money that we feel is well spent.

With the extensive cuts going on right now, we do feel that our money will be better spent elsewhere until more of the new projects are up and running. I don't feel that Disney owes us anything in terms of keeping prices low or keeping attractions open, but we also will enjoy the many other vacation destinations available until we feel that the value matches the prices again. Right now, we are looking at 2018 where we used to take at least one trip a year and sometimes multiple trips.

Most families I know that go to Disney are going for the once in a lifetime trip and are expecting a pricey trip. And they are the families that likely won't notice the cuts. If that is the case, I can see why Disney is doing what they're doing. On the other hand, it does seem that many of the regular visitors are considering a watch and wait approach to determining when the experience will again be in line with the cost.

Whats more interesting is to read the comments section of the various media outlets, the "majority" of people clearly think this is bull crap, but Disney doesn't need the Majority of people, it needs a few million people to spend 5 - 10 days there a year ...

Most won't notice.

Disney has always been expensive and not a fiscally responsible way to spend your money. Every one isn't entitled to a Disney trip at birth, life isn't fair and not everyone will be able to go every year, every two years or even at all. Disney should not be held to some kind of crazy standard that they need to make it affordable to everyone who wants to go. Do we hold every vacation destination to that standard? Nope.

I will save money for these trips when I feel like I want to go. One day may come where I can't justify spending the money, so I'll just go somewhere else. That's life. :)
3.75 admission and .25 to park

As it is those who buy 1 day tickets (especially if they can only go in peak season) will really notice. Other price increases are somewhat noticeable but definitely not as much. However this does have an effect on FL residents who have felt forced into them more recently with so many FL resident ticket options being removed or becoming more restrictive (no more discount on 1 day, no passes past 4 days, lots of blockout dates on those, and they still expire in 6 months) So people like many in my family who don't go to the parks too often (but still about 2/3 times a year) would buy the 1 day tickets. I don't know what my family will do once the 1 day tickets I bought for them before the increase will be used up (got enough to get through our NE passes, assuming they'll come along). Others will be like them. This probably will cause somewhat more business for Universal but maybe that really is the point after all, with crowds as they are. It's a combination of factors leading up to this point, not just the new 1 day system. And I definitely think if tiering was expanded past 1 day, then more and more would go to Universal or somewhere else instead, especially if they can only go during peak periods. Every time they start pressing their luck which I believe is definitely starting now they'll lose more and more loyal customers. New ones might not be so loyal or as many (especially if tiering was expanded).

One thing is that up until the current corporate management I don't think Disney thought it was supposed to be a luxury vacation and they held true to the viewpoint that most should be able to afford going there

Last edited:
I think it may be a good idea to raise prices. I will just take a bit longer to save and go less often which is good because we kept going a lot even more than once in a year. So the new plan is buy tickets a bit at a time and when we can afford it to do it right we will. I wont go andtry to bargain it to a reasonable trip Id rather go and keep it at the amazing level instead of trying to find a cheap hotel offsite and cheap food just to say I went again. I like the idea of staying fairly nice eating what we want and when along with not having to scrimp. So there still will be others who will scrimp just to go and eat packed lunches or dinners and ifthats their idea of fun great but not mine unless Im camping and roughing it.

I agree. I am in the minority I have very affluent parents that are willing to help a disabled son. I know most disabled people are neglected. I believe that Disney should be middle class. Now its not its very high end. Very expensive. For instance Four Seasons confirms this becoming more exclusive. But Disney is a Public Company that wants to make Larger and larger profits. I see the value of many things. Like for instance Per Se etc But Disney is fastly loosing its value. Would it hurt Disney's margins to make for instance the values 60 dollars a night? or $40. Why not charge more at Grand Floridan and make the value and moderate cheaper. I am very glad I live in Australia. While I can eat very well as I am well off I would hate it if we did not have free health care for everyone and a decent pension for elderly and sick.

Last edited:
This will not change the dates we choose to come. We come down to Orlando when the weather is not to hot and our daughter will not miss so much school.

I can see some will still come in the summer because that is the time they can go.
It's too hot

I agree. I am in the minority I have very affluent parents that are willing to help a disabled son. I know most disabled people are neglected. I believe that Disney should be middle class. Now its not its very high end. Very expensive. For instance Four Seasons confirms this becoming more exclusive. But Disney is a Public Company that wants to make Larger and larger profits. I see the value of many things. Like for instance Per Se etc But Disney is fastly loosing its value. Would it hurt Disney's margins to make for instance the values 60 dollars a night? or $40. Why not charge more at Grand Floridan and make the value and moderate cheaper. I am very glad I live in Australia. While I can eat very well as I am well off I would hate it if we did not have free health care for everyone and a decent pension for elderly and sick.

You would be hard pressed to find any decent hotel in the US priced for $40 or $60 a night. Especially in tourist-laden Orlando. Pricing Disney at those prices would be ridiculous. People would have to be making reservations years in advance in hopes of snagging an on-property resort.

I'm not outraged because the tickets always increase, it is not a big shock. There just becomes a point for everyone where their hard earned money might be better spent elsewhere. I'm sure at lot would love it if more people couldn't afford to go, better for them. We are at the point where we still see value but it is not a given that is our annual trip any longer. When we do go we will rent a house offsite and not spend so much money in the parks. Disney may have control over ticket prices but I have control over what I pay for the rest, and they aren't getting much more of my money.

The prices, themselves, do not have me outraged. In fact, nothing has me outraged but our family, collectively, have decided not to go back to Disney for at least 5 years. We used to go every year. We actually used to go multiple times per year but over the past few years the value for our money has drastically decreased. This is our opinion and not all agree with us. The constant cuts to menus, shows, cast members and the large amounts of refurbishments and closures play a large factor. The latest price increases just solidify our decision. We actually just sold our vacation club ownership as well. Not because of the price increases but because of how we feel the value has declined. We decided to sell a few months ago and we just closed.

I imagine this increase has priced people out. It has not priced us out but we feel there are much better vacations we can take for 1/2 the price than Disney. Again, this is just our opinion.

Most won't notice.

Disney has always been expensive and not a fiscally responsible way to spend your money. Every one isn't entitled to a Disney trip at birth, life isn't fair and not everyone will be able to go every year, every two years or even at all. Disney should not be held to some kind of crazy standard that they need to make it affordable to everyone who wants to go. Do we hold every vacation destination to that standard? Nope.

I will save money for these trips when I feel like I want to go. One day may come where I can't justify spending the money, so I'll just go somewhere else. That's life. :)
I agree. I would have loved to take my kids when they were young but we only were able to do that one time. And we saved for a year to do that. We are in a different position now, and we tend to have a little more money to spend on vacations than we did when we were raising a family. I think that our choices add to the cost, but in the end, if we decide that the costs of the amenities and choices we want and choose increase the cost so that I do not find a value, we will go elsewhere. I would not break the bank to go, and cannot understand when others do that. So....while it would be nice to keep prices stagnant, I doubt that will ever happen, and people can decide for themselves if this is their appropriate vacation destination.

First, why I’m fine with it.

If this price increase is what tipped you from “Disney is reasonable” to “This is outrageous” then you’re doing a lot better economically than I am. “This is outrageous” came and went for me years ago.

I’m not saying it doesn’t matter. Of course it does. I’m not saying that it won’t price some people (maybe even me) out, because it will.

What I’m saying is this: Disney has (at least for the last couple of decades) never been a financially rational choice. Disney is stupid expensive.

“But Disney should be something every middle class American family can do!”

Let me ask you a question – why only the middle class? Are you going to be the one to tell the poor kids “sorry, I didn’t mean you.”

And for those of you who say Disney used to be a middle class thing, you must have lived in a different middle class than I did. It’s always (in my lifetime) been expensive. My mom promised she’d take me before I turned 10. I got there at 12 (no toddler wonder experience for me) with 1 day in MK and 1 day in Epcot, and didn’t get to go back until I was in my late 30s. (And I was thrilled both times!)

Is it more exclusive now than it was 30 years ago? Sure.

But then again 30 years ago, huge enormous swaths of the American (let alone the world) population couldn’t afford it either.

The line changes, but there is always a line between “can” and “can’t.” I know, because I’m on the wrong side of it all the time. I love NFL football. LOVE IT. I haven’t gone to a live game in more than 20 years because I just can’t bear the ticket prices.

Life is full of velvet ropes. And if you didn’t notice the velvet rope at Disney 30 years ago, it’s because you were on the right side of it, not because it wasn’t there.

Heck, my upcoming trip is the first time I’ll ever stay on property because I could never afford it – and it will be at Pop Century on a huge discount in a standard room. I can’t even fathom staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, even though I’ve dreamed of it since the day it opened. Some of you go there once a year. For me, it’s a “maybe, just maybe before I die” type thing. Even the “moderate” resorts are way outside my league. “Moderate?!” Our definition of moderate must be very different.

I pack food because I can’t afford to Disney food all the time. I get reservations to experience restaurants, but only buy appetizers because I can’t afford a full meal.

I don’t like it, but I get it. There are some things I’m priced out of, at least for now. (I’m gonna get rich one day, just like every other American, right?!) Such is life.

That just comes with the territory. Always has, always will.

But can’t it be different!? Let’s do a little thought experiment…

So you hate that Disney is pricing people out. So let’s do this. Imagine if it wasn’t like this. How about these options instead.

The “We’re Sorry” pricing plan. Disney comes out tomorrow with the following announcement: “We’re sorry everyone. We’ve priced Disney outside the reach of too many people, so as of tomorrow here’s our new pricing package - $35 for a one day pass to MK, and $25 for the other parks.” Can you imagine the headlines in a few months? “Disney Guests Irate! Wait times for Country Bear Jamboree hit 3 hours!” “Disney announces the suspension of Star Wars land – We just can’t afford it, but we won’t price people out of a Disney vacation, so we’ll make do with what we have.”

The “Bernie Sanders” pricing plan. In reaction to pressure from the public, Disney CEO has moved to free tickets, subsidized by tax dollars. “A Disney vacation is an American birthright, and everyone should have access, regardless of their income.” Since the parks cannot handle the number of people who want to come for free, Disney is now implementing a waiting list. To make sure every American family has a chance to live their Disney dreams, no family can ‘double dip’ by coming more than once a decade. “Make sure you get that one trip while your kid is still under 20!” says Iger.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying either of these is wrong. They are perfectly reasonable options that Disney could implement instead of what they’ve done. But I’m guessing we’d be just as upset – probably more. Most of us are, at heart, free marketers. Of course we want it to be cheap, but we also want the opportunity to earn our way there and go when we can afford to.

Tentaguasu’s (that’s me) dream golden ticket scenario: Once a year, Disney has a crazy luxury week. Tickets are $1000 per person, hotel rooms are double price, food is amazing with celebrity chefs, wait times are 5 minutes on everything, limo rides everywhere, 24 hours at every park. A really luxury escape, red carpet to the hilt. Call it “Disney’s Week of Luxury.” And this is what the CEO would announce. “This is a chance for our wealthiest guests to have a true 5-star experience at Disney from top to bottom, true rock star treatment. But we’re not earning a red cent on it. Disney has made kids dream of magical worlds the world over – rich kids, poor kids, and 80 year old kids. We’re a for-profit company, but we understand that we are the stewards of something special that everyone should at least be able to dream of visiting. So we’re taking the earnings from the 50,000 people who come for the Week of Luxury each year, and using that to host a “Dream Week” where we randomly give away full, all-expense paid trips to Disney World for 50,000 families across the entire world that could never afford to come on their own. It’s our way of keeping the Disney dream alive for everyone.”

So that’s never going to happen, but I’m still OK with the price increases.

BUT… here are my demands:

But I’m not giving Disney a full pass. Because just like they are demanding more money from me, I have some demands for them.

Be decent. I can’t stomach fat cat compensation packages while bottom of the line workers get their hours cut and are struggling. Not magical. At all.

Here’s the deal Disney executive team. As soon as Disney workers are giving interviews saying this: “I just love working at Disney. They care about us as workers. They take care of us to the best of the company’s ability and we’re paid above average for anyone else in this industry with benefits that keep me and my family safe and secure. That’s why my smile to visitors every day is genuine and why I have the hope and energy to make their day bright, too!” That day, when I hear that, I promise that you can triple your compensation package, and I won’t say a word. Not a word.

And if the company can’t afford it, then this is what I want to hear: “We’re cutting staff hours because, unfortunately, we’re in a financial pickle. But belt tightening starts with management, so as CEO I’m taking a voluntary 50% compensation cut which will only increase at the same rate as my staffs’ compensation, and I’m enforcing at 25% pay cut for every position at Disney making over $500,000 a year.”

Be fair. I’m a good ole American free market guy. But free markets work when both sides are happy.

Once you accept that we can’t all have everything, then it becomes a question of value for money paid. I remember paying $3.25 for a hotel room in Peru. The next morning both my mom and I agreed that we’d been thoroughly overcharged.

Point being, if you’re gonna soak me for a high ticket price you better deliver. “We mismanaged the expansion of DHS, so just keep on paying an increased price and give us another half a decade to fix it.” That’s not going to cut it. You want to increase my price? I’d be better be f’ing amazed at what I get in return. You get an amazing amount of money from me, I get an amazing experience and we’re both thrilled.

If I’m going to skimp and save and dream of going to Disney, I damned well better have an amazing experience when I get there. A good old American capitalist trade of money for services at its finest.

And just to be clear, I’m not on the “Disney is getting worse every day” bandwagon. Maybe it is, I don’t know. I haven’t noticed it. Maybe for some of you who go very frequently, it’s just like the beautiful person you see every day whose flaws you start to notice out of sheer familiarity. Or maybe it is getting worse. But, I don’t see the decline.

But here’s the thing – I’m on alert now. Don’t disappoint me. Spoil me with the awesome stuff, just like I’m spoiling you with may payments.

Be smart. There are all kinds of things that can go wrong when you increase prices. If you price out too many people, then who grows up on Disney? Who is your market of tomorrow? I can’t understand things like why it takes Disney 10 years or whatever to build Avatar when Universal seems able to do it in a flash. I wonder if they impulsively threw money at China just because China seemed like the next big thing (like we all thought of Japan in the 80s and look what happened there…) only to see the Chinese economy tank. I worry about them continuing to make stellar attractions instead of fair ground junk. I worry about how a cast member is going to give me a wonderful smile and a magical day if they’re worried about their hours this month. Take my money, take your profit, but keep Disney strong. Don’t let it whither and die through mismanagement.

Be smart – keep Disney strong.

Be decent – I want to know you care about me and your staff.

Be fair – soak me to the bone, and then make me smile and say, “I’ll be damned, that was worth it!”

Best post ever!!!

I don't think most people will care. I get the same response every day we plan a Disney trip from friends "why are you going again? Disney is too expensive, it's not worth it". And that is the attitude of most people, for the it's not something they are willing to part with their cash for. For us it's still a reasonable vacation, that is pretty much all inclusive. It's all about choices.

Prices have been going up, and AK and DHS and Epcot has all this construction, yet attendance has gone up. So I would think the majority won't care.

Disney is expensive. For those who can afford a 7+ day Disney vacations already .. a few more dollars a day isn't going to make or break their vacation.

This change is for a few things in my opinion.
1) Supply/demand. They can raise their prices, so they will.
2) They want to control crowds, so they are trying to discourage single-day people (Annual Pass, single day tickets) during the more crowded times. But people can still come when they want (just pay more)
3) They want to encourage people to buy MULTI_DAY tickets (and thus spend more money on the resort). (They don't want people going to Universal and just "hop" over to the Magic Kingdom for a day).

They can't charge a price that won't eventually price SOME people out. There is always families somewhere that can't afford a Disney vacation. Maybe they can't do a 5 day vacation, but now can just do a 4 day vacation. There is always choices to make things more affordable outside JUST ticket prices.

If Disney tickets were cheaper, then MORE people would flock to the parks and they would be super crowded all the time to the point people would have a miserable experience at the parks. They only way to keep prices low enough to make it "affordable" for the "common man" is to limit the tickets they sell per day which would just upset people even more. When they try and book a vacation and can't go on a certain day because it is sold out.

Until attendance is affected, we will continue to see price increases. It is simple as that.

It is just rough to swallow when we see this in a year before a lot of the big new attractions are hitting and when they are cutting a lot of the extras.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter