What does the future hold for DVC?

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
The future of DVC?

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/TheFutureodDVC.png

I wonder what happened to the person who came up with the idea for Disney to enter the timeshare business, well over 23 years ago? I hope he got a big bonus, as DVC has been a very successful (and profitable) venture by the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division.

I bet back in the early 1990’s, Disney most likely greeted the creation of a timeshare on Walt Disney World with great uncertainty and risk.

On December 20, 1991, the “Disney Vacation Club” resort opened on Walt Disney World property. This resort, with its waterfront village of colorful, clapboard-sided vacation villas, created a new type of accommodation. For the first time, guests had access to an on-property resort with multiple bedrooms, several pools, a general store, various children's play areas and outdoor barbecue grills.

The first members bought ownership in “The Disney Vacation Club” with no guarantee that additional resorts would ever be built.

On October 1, 1995, Disney's second DVC resort opened in Vero Beach, Florida and on March 6, 1996 their third resort opened on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. In addition, a fourth DVC was under construction at WDW that would become the Boardwalk Resort.

It was now time to give the first DVC resort a unique identity to separate it from the rest. So in January 1996, the name was officially changed to Disney's Old Key West Resort.

Here we are now with 13 resorts available and certainly more in various stages of design and development. We’ve seen DVC expand to Disneyland and Hawaii.

Note: Anyone interested in a more detailed look back at DVC can read A brief history of the Disney Vacation Club.

For all the income they make on management of existing DVC resorts, it is a drop in the bucket compared to what they make selling new points. So, for the DVD business model to work, there has to be a continued stream of more resorts to sell.

What does the future hold for DVC? How long can their current business plan be successful?

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/ExpNearParks.png

EXPANSION NEAR THEME PARKS

I’ve joked that Walt Disney once said:

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/Florida-Project.jpg

Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans for DVC resorts we can possibly imagine.

When you look at their possible paths forward at Walt Disney World, let's first look back at the approaches they've used thus far:

• Add on a DVC Building to a deluxe resort - this has been their most common approach, and it's been used at resorts such as VWL, BCV, AKV, VGF, and BLT
  • Convert existing hotel rooms at a deluxe resort to DVC - This was used at AKV-Jambo House, PVB, and now it appears VWL
  • Build standalone DVC resorts (OKW, SSR) - This model was used on the very first DVC, as well as the largest DVC. Will they take this approach again? It seems unlikely to me.
  • Build a new combined resort - This was done when they constructed the Boardwalk Resort as BWI and BWV - when they created the second DVC at WDW. This also seems unlikely.

The first two options appear to be Disney's present strategy at WDW.

DVD will always need to sell a DVC property that's close to a park, so the conversions of Deluxe hotel rooms and additions of new buildings will continue.

Rumored expansions include:

• Wilderness Lodge expansion
  • Yacht & Beach Club - Disney is less likely to convert the Yacht club side due to the thriving convention business they get, so it's more likely they may convert some BC rooms to DVC.
  • Fort Wilderness - Leaked plans show DVC has considered this option
  • Caribbean Beach Resort - Rumors have said part of this resort may be converted to DVC
  • Coronado Springs Resort - Same rumors here
  • DVC near DHS (Star Wars Themed?) - This rumor is that DVC might construct a new DVC near DHS, along with plans to build a Star Wars and Toy Story lands.
  • Second BLT Tower?

By converting hotel rooms to DVC, Disney gains a lot of short-term gains by selling the ownership interests, and also puts off the risk of future hotel occupancy problems. They get maintenance and capital repairs covered, and also earn a tidy profit on the management fees.

And in doing so, as they shift rooms from hotel to DVC, they are reducing the deluxe inventory.

The challenge will be what happens to their revenue stream when they run out of deluxe rooms to convert prior to 2042. Starting in 2042, will they rehab those expired DVC resorts and turn around and sell them again? Or, more likely, will they take the approach they did with OKW and sell extensions years before the resort actually expires?

There's a ceiling on demand at WDW. I don't know where it is, but I don't think there is demand for a million DVC units at WDW. Whatever the ceiling may be, will DVC hit this ceiling at the present rate of development before 2042?

And they can't keep putting up new DVC buildings indefinitely, right? Not without adding capacity to the theme parks and transportation systems.

How long can this go on?

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/ExpOutsideParks.png

EXPANSION OUTSIDE OF PARKS

In the early days of the Disney Vacation Club, there was a focus on developing DVC resorts outside of the Disney theme parks, with resorts opening in Vero Beach in 1995 and Hilton Head Island in 1996. Vero Beach was not the success Disney had hoped for, and HHI was successful but small.

Yet DVC did have it's sights set on other DVC resorts outside the parks.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/NewportCoat.png​

In March 1994, Disney officially announced a DVC on a coast hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Newport Beach in Southern California, but Disney never began construction.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/MountainLodge.png​

Also in 1994, DVC had plans for a DVC mountain lodge in Colorado’s Vail Valley - in the Beaver Creek Ski Resort area. This project was never officially announced by DVD, but ABS Consultants, a mechanical and electrical engineering firm that also worked on Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, listed Disney’s Mountain Lodge at Beaver Creek on their website as one of their notable projects.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/TimesSquare.png​

In late 1994, Disney became involved in a project in New York City - on 42nd Street and Eight avenue. Imagine an urban DVC just off Times Square in the heart of the Broadway theater district. On April 19, 1996, the New York Times reported, "Despite a flurry of theater renovation projects and store openings around Times Square, one of the more offbeat ideas for 42d Street—time-share condominiums to be operated by the Disney Company—has been shelved."

These were all actual projects actively being considered and under development by Disney – until they weren’t. Some, like the Newport Beach resort in 1994, were actually announced and then cancelled. Disney never formally announced the others, but in some cases the architectural plans were leaked.

However, sales at Vero Beach resort were not what Disney hoped, and the plans for VB were scaled back. DVC seemed to lose interest in resorts outside the parks.

That is, until 2007 when Disney announced the development of a new resort in the Ko Olina resort area on O’ahu, Hawai. It was named Aulani in 2010. DVC, it seemed, was reconsidering development of resorts outside the parks.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/NationalHarbor.png​

In 2009, Disney purchased a resort site in Maryland’s National Harbor (near Washington, D.C.), and was considering using the 15-acre site for a resort. This came after Disney had already started construction on Aulani. However, Disney announced cancellation of the project in 2011, shortly after they briefly halted sales of Aulani and fired Jim Lewis, then president of DVC.

Thus far, Aulani, while a fantastic resort, has been a slow seller.

What is the future of DVC?

So, what do you think DVD should do? Focus only on expansion at WDW? What about DLR? Do you think DVC should focus more on non-park resorts? Where would you most like to see future DVC expansion occur: theme park resorts or non-park destinations?

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Future/TheFutureOf.png

http://i235.*************************************Misc/MiscDiscPolls.png

Purchasing DVC
DVC Resorts
Renting Points
Using Your DVC Membership
Just for Fun

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

Based upon a recent survey I received and at least one previous one, DVC hasn’t given up on the idea of a ski related resort. Or it could possibly be that Disney’s ABD is thinking of adding a ski related trip. I know that on this board everyone likes to compare the building and selling of resorts to the theme park resorts. My question is how do the non-theme park resorts perform compared to other timeshare resorts that are not theme park centric? If DVC, truly wants to be player in the grand timeshare arena, I think they need to be developing more of these destination resorts. As a time share participant DVD has hurt it’s image by over concentrating on the low hanging fruit. One of the difficulties that will happen if DVD does branch out into the non-theme park development, those customer who prefer a multiple destination type program, will also want to occasionally visit a theme park and thus there will be an increase of competition at the seven month window which will dishearten the ones who were only looking for theme park resorts.

The why this would be good for Disney Parks is that as is discussed on these boards, the longer owners of the park related resorts have their share the less time they actually spend in the park. By increasing the number of guests who want to spend their time in the parks is what will increase the parks division revenues.

I think a fear of the owner/member is that if DVD/DVC continues to develop the non-park related resorts, what will happen to the resale market. Already the non-park resorts are struggling to increase their values in relation to the park venues.

I think in the short term the future is conversion of current hotel rooms to DVC at Yacht Club and the creation of a brand new DVC/Hotel by Hollywood Studios around 2020 as the expansion nears completion.

Who knows long term

I have long wondered how many more DVC resorts will be built at the WDW Resort before 2042. If the current rate of development continues, a new resort every 2 to 3 years would mean 9 to 14 more resorts by 2042. o_O

• Caribbean Beach Resort - Rumors have said part of this resort may be converted to DVC
These worry me some. One big selling point of dvc is that you can stay at deluxe resorts for less total cost. Now I will admit that a DVC room is not a true deluxe room (BWI have much nicer bedding/rooms than BWV for instance), but the rooms are at the same resort. How will this work when they put DVC in a moderate resort? Does DVC lose some of its status this way?

These worry me some. One big selling point of dvc is that you can stay at deluxe resorts for less total cost. Now I will admit that a DVC room is not a true deluxe room (BWI have much nicer bedding/rooms than BWV for instance), but the rooms are at the same resort. How will this work when they put DVC in a moderate resort? Does DVC lose some of its status this way?

Just be glad DVC didn't go beyond the concept stage for the DVC they were planning to build on the site of the old River Country water park.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/RCT_Concept.jpg
Plans leaked 4/1/15

I love my DVC but I think disney needs to stop building DVC at WDW for a while and do better with park expansion. A fifth park would be nice. They keep building more DVC/accommodations which brings in more people. The parks are too crowded. The solution is not increasing the park ticket prices. Disney records huge profits every year. They should be doing more with park improvement and expansion.

I bought in 1999 with only OKW & BWV at WDW. I'm amazed at what it has turned into. I can't see them building offsite anytime soon. HH, Vero and Aulani have shown it's a slow sale without a park. I can't see a ski resort selling, not at what they are charging per point.

DVC's history -- especially the history of tentative plans never executed and relatively unsuccessful non-theme park resort attempts -- makes me think they have never had a clue what they want to be when they grow up. (Like most of us.)

To me, DVC should stick to what they do better than anybody -- build resorts onsite at WDW and expand at DL. They have a unique niche market there that nobody can touch, and frankly, they're not very good (or competitive) elsewhere.

DVD has done some very good things at WDW. The Treehouse Villas, given the environmental straightjacket they were dealing with, were a huge success. I think BLT has been a huge success, and if I had to pick one project I would recommend, it would be a second BLT tower. Despite the allure and beauty of VGF and Poly, I think both are misses...and not even near misses. But another BLT tower would be a resounding success.

I agree with Davidl81 above that moderate DVCs would be a mistake. It would cheapen the entire brand.
Disney does not fail, but Vero was certainly a big disappointment and so is Aulani. Aulani was a mistake. The only positive with Aulani that I can see is Jim Lewis' departure. I've been saying since the announcement of the project that Aulani was the worst location on the least desireable island in Hawaii. "Oh, but Marriott built a beautiful resort right next door!" Yes they did...and they sold it.

We all think of Disney as huge, but in the timeshare industry -- in fact, in the entire hospitality industry -- they are a very minor player. Disney is a "magical" entertainment company and a true leader in that industry. They do not have the scope or resources of a Hilton, or Marriott, or Wyndham, or Sheraton in the hospitality industry -- and they never will have. They simply cannot compete as a general timeshare.

ALL of the proposed locations Mike mentioned have, in fact, BEEN BUILT (or bought) very successfully by...name the brand. Most of the brands have at least one resort in Colorado, in NYC, in Washington, in San Francisco, in Chicago -- and the Caribbean, and elsewhere. DVC simply is not competitive in that broader market.

IMHO, DVC should stick primarily to WDW. As Mike said above, there is abundant land at WDW that could be developed for lodging. And there is probably no more profitable type of lodging development than timeshares.

I can't see a ski resort selling, not at what they are charging per point.
Wyndham is currently selling two ski resorts (Park City, UT and Beaver Creek, CO) at a substantially higher price point.

Wyndham is currently selling two ski resorts (Park City, UT and Beaver Creek, CO) at a substantially higher price point.

The park city hotel is only $150ish/night for early December. It's hard to justify a high price for the timeshare portion, no? Dvc hotels are $300-600/night....

How much is Wyndham selling their park city timeshare location for? How could it possibly be higher than dvc?!

I also agree moderates would be a huge mistake.

I would have been thrilled if dvc had a location in manhattan-- all the manhattan timeshare locations have gone up in price. Plus, as a former resident of manhattan (17 years post high school), it would be sooooo nice to have a hotel there. I would have easily traded a WDW trip for a NYC trip. 42nd and 8th is not my favorite location, but it is a tourist Mecca.

Despite the allure and beauty of VGF and Poly, I think both are misses...and not even near misses.

Jim,

Why do you think VGF was a miss?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I think it is too early to call VGF or Poly misses. The value for the actual buyer may be a miss at the Poly, but it will sell because it is at Disney and there are so many uninformed buyers out there for timeshare sales. People want what they perceive as luxury items and will buy.

I am staying at Poly for Halloween just to try it out before my BWV stay early November. I've never 'not' enjoyed a Poly stay and was a guest there for years before I bought DVC. The only thing I'll never again do at Poly is the Luau, lol.

Stayed at VGF when it opened and absolutely loved it! Just did not like the price or the points cost, so it will always be a 1-3 night stay for me, but I will grab the occasional room and do a split stay. If I wanted to spend the bucks, the VGF is where I would have laid down the cash for the fixed week during the holidays. But - for me that would have been a frivolous luxury.

As in any other business, DVD/DVC/WDW/Disney will consider the profits to be made out of any investment. I am sure they have already been looking at offsite resorts, onsite resorts, and near resort locations. My hope is that they build a resort on Castaway Cay, even though I doubt they will. Looking at what has happened at WDW lately my thinking is that the west side location near where that village is being built is the most likely location for a full resort (IE: OKW, SSR) and the conversion of BC rooms to DVC is likely after the VWL completion.

I think we will most likely see conversion of Beach Club rooms to DVC. It would cost disney very little to convert rooms and Beach Club is always in demand so to me it makes sense. Maybe this is why they have pushed back the much needed refurb. Maybe there will be bigger news about BCV to come. If they do add rooms to BCV, I would love to see them add 3 bedroom grand villas because they currently don't have any.

How much is Wyndham selling their park city timeshare location for? How could it possibly be higher than dvc?!
Wyndham's current asking price is $250 per 1000 points.

It's hard to compare one system to the other, but the best I can do is to try a very rough comparison of what points in each system will buy. I have 500K Wyndham points (which I bought for $2,000 on eBay) and as close as I can figure, they will buy similar accommodations to 600-700 DVC points. I have gotten three 2-bedrooms for a full week at my home resort (Great Smokys) for 500K during peak season in the summer.

To make the comparison more conservative and simpler, let's say 500K Wyndham roughly equals 500 DVC points. With that comparison, DVC is selling for $165 and Wyndham is selling for $250.

But there is a big difference in sales practices.

DVC sells for $165, with occasional promotions. Wyndham often sells for $250, but if a mark says no enough times without actually leaving, that price will come down. I have seen one report of a price as low as $150/K, but that may have been for a very large contract. I think the vast majority of Wyndham sales are in the $220-$250 range.

WDW and DL make the most sense. As others mention, Disney has an exclusive opportunity there.

At WDW, there will be so much park and infrastructure construction that it is wise to convert hotel rooms to DVC. If Disney thinks hotel booking levels will dip from the construction, it is wise to reduce supply. We are also far into an economic cycle. YC/BC should be great sales opportunities around 2020 or 2021 because of Star Wars land and Toy Story land.

One thing that I have not heard is the possibility of conversion of rooms at GF. Given what we are seeing with Deluxe occupancy rates, even the flag ship is likely in DVDs sights and necessary or Disney CRO to maintain the premium GF rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter