• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

what does space mountain look like?

Corpsebride

DIS Veteran
I have always been curious about what Space Mountain looks like with the lights on. Does anyone know? And all those areas that obviously have some kind of computers or where the music is from, are there people sitting in there in the dark? How are the walls covered? is it paint? how are the cars held to the track? Oh curiouser and curiouser!:rotfl:

There are some YouTube videos showing the ride through with the lights on.

well that was cool, i just watched the videos. they do a great job with the lighting. Anyone remember the big "cookie" moving through space in the 80's? :rotfl:

I have pictures! (though I can't access them right now - if you want to see them, shoot me a PM to remind me) Our car got stopped right before the final turn into the station. It was basically just black walls with reflector lights on them. The funny thing was that the CMs actually had to get below our car and push us into the station.

I actually got stuck on SM in WDW as well... I'm noticing a trend....

It is way better if you just don't ever see SM with the lights on, the mystery and wonder always outweighs the reality which is rather mundane.

The cookie rocked!

I love the cookie! They still have it at WDW. If I ever find myself in outer space, at least I know that I won't go hungry!

well that was cool, i just watched the videos. they do a great job with the lighting. Anyone remember the big "cookie" moving through space in the 80's? :rotfl:

Thats so funny!! My brother and I used to look for it too!! Last April he came down and met us at DL for one day so we had to go on it together, even though there was no cookie to look for.

About two months ago the ride shutdown on us about halfway through. It is rather warehouse looking with tracks. I noticed that it was very dusty a few sunglasses and hats strewn here and there and there was gum everywhere :scared:

We were walking along the tracks to get to the exit and I kept trying to figure out why there was so much gum. Do people make it a game to spit out their gum while riding? YUCK-O!

Even though I've never actually seen the inside of SM, I do have a pic of a model of it.

spacemountain.jpg

That model is awesome! did you build that?
what a great job!
Oh,the cookie was supposed to be an asteroid hurling through space, you know, light flashed on the wall, but it looked like a huge giant chocolate chip cookie. So, you would be whipping through space and moving past galaxies faster than the speed of light and there it would be!! Throttling past you, from a galaxy far far away, a galaxy called the Chips a hoy, oooh there it is!!
The Chocolate chip cookie!!:rotfl: it was awesome!! I always wanted a cookie after that. :rotfl2:

I remember the cookie haha!

The model shown is actually currently on display in the Opera House, as part of the very long 50th anniversary. It at the back wall past the huge now and then model.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter